Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Richard Donner Dies Director Was 91

Richard Donner, the prolific Hollywood director and producer whose helming credits include some of the most iconic movies of the 1970s and ’80s including the Christopher Reeve-starring Superman, The Goonies and the Mel Gibson-Danny Glover buddy cop series Lethal Weapon, has died. He was 91.

Donner died Monday, according to his wife, the producer Lauren Schuler Donner, and his business manager. No cause of death has been revealed.
    https://deadline.com/2021/07/richard...mpression=true
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-05-2021 at 08:31 PM.

He helped make cbms mainstream and got us all to believe a man could fly RIP
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 07-05-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Incredible Member

His Superman films are still the best. RIP.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

That first Superman film was a miracle in so many ways. It could have,and given everything that it had going against it it should have,been a disaster. If not for Richard Donner,and the good sense he had in hiring Tom Mankewitz to rewrite the script for what became those first two films, not only would Superman the movie not have done well and likely would have been forgotten, but comic book movies as we know them would not have happened.

Donner left the blueprint that all have followed since.

...and on top of that,he gave us The Omen, The Goonies and Lethal Weapon. Not a bad career.

Rest in Peace ,Mr. Donner. Thank you for believing in Supes enough to do him justice.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Sad news. RIP.

His Superman movies were my first exposure to the character. As a kid, I watched them every time they were on tv.

Ultimate Member

Wow, such a prolific film maker

RIP.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This one stings! 91. Guess we shouldn't be too surprised though.
    Assassinate Putin!

He is the reason I'm a fan of Superman.

I remember how my mom would let me skip class to watch it on tv. Even if I think sometimes Superman got hold back because of the veneration a lot of creators have for Superman The Movie, in no way I think it's not deserved, the movie is amazing.

A sad day. Rest in peace Mr. Donner. And thanks for everything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Sad news indeed. I'm sure he's living it up with Ned Beatty in Otisburg somewhere.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Sad news indeed. I'm sure he's living it up with Ned Beatty in Otisburg somewhere.
    Not to mention Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder in Metropolis. Tear in my eye there, his Superman was the standard IMO, not to mention his other iconic works.

RIP Mr. Donner. You helped the world believe that a man could fly and that a Superman could live among us, and your contribution to the Superhero mythos will never be forgotten.

Very sad news. His vision for Superman: The Movie is still influencing modern superhero films.

Incredible Member

R.I.P. to an ABSOLUTE LEGEND.

Note to self; watch "Superman The Movie: Extended Edition" and "Superman II: Donner Cut" back to back this week

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Rest in Peace, Richard Donner. You showed an entire world of cynics that a man could fly.