Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Point is, healthy comic book industries without two massive companies turning the entire thing into a single genre medium are a thing. Comics won't end without Marvel/DC.
    Yeah but once Marvel and DC collapse it will be up to some new party to pick it up. And even though comics won't die without Marvel and DC around this person has to revitalise interest in comics but it's very hard even when the content is kid friendly.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    That's what sells better for marvel and DC, so they produce more of them.
    I do think that is short-term-ism and is potentially driving readers away in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This was the first issue of FF I ever read. I wanted it because it had the heroes from that cartoon I liked. Why was Sue's hair orange and why were they calling her Crys? I was 8 and confused, but I lived. Keep in mind this was totally on my own and without the help of a fandom or an internet.

Also, in the Sherlock Holmes books, Watson's not an Asian woman. Comics are far from unique in multiple versions of fictional characters.

How many versions of Hercules are there? Thor? Achilles? Frankenstein? Sherlock Homes? Little Red Riding Hood? Once characters enter the mass consciousness and become mythic and iconic they transcend the source material and take on lives of their own. Many refer to comic book super-heroes as modern myths, and in many senses this is true, but with that comes the fact that people will constantly reinterpret myths to fit the needs of the themes of the stories they want to tell. Stories evolve in the telling and characters with them. The source material is a starting point, not an ending point in mythic stories. Sacrificing the dynamics of storytelling and its ability to grow evolve with its audiences just for consistency to source material is foolishness (but then Emerson had a point when he said "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" and there is a lot of small-mindedness within fandoms of all sorts, especially comics). Something that is not growing and evolving is dying.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    How many versions of Hercules are there? Thor? Achilles? Frankenstein? Sherlock Homes? Little Red Riding Hood? Once characters enter the mass consciousness and become mythic and iconic they transcend the source material and take on lives of their own. Many refer to comic book super-heroes as modern myths, and in many senses this is true, but with that comes the fact that people will constantly reinterpret myths to fit the needs of the themes of the stories they want to tell. Stories evolve in the telling and characters with them. The source material is a starting point, not an ending point in mythic stories. Sacrificing the dynamics of storytelling and its ability to grow evolve with its audiences just for consistency to source material is foolishness (but then Emerson had a point when he said "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" and there is a lot of small-mindedness within fandoms of all sorts, especially comics). Something that is not growing and evolving is dying.

-M
    Tell that to the fans who hate Homecoming for going off the rails regarding the source material but if Westerners were to adapt something like Death Note then they would have to have picked a white man to play L Lawliet even though some foolishly ask for a Japanese man to play him. According to his creators he is 99% white.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Tell that to the fans who hate Homecoming for going off the rails regarding the source material but if Westerners were to adapt something like Death Note then they would have to have picked a white man to play L Lawliet even though some foolishly ask for a Japanese man to play him. According to his creators he is 99% white.
    Hence the hobgoblins of little minds.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Hence the hobgoblins of little minds.

-M
    Well this guy must have the biggest hobgoblin in his head look at his review on Homecoming though I myself found the movie awkward when it didn't even try to make Peter Parker act like Peter Parker though I started indifferent and some how I am still indifferent though it offends me a little as craftsman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdNXpDo4i4 and these ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4_SZ5WATkE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgGvf6uSgw. Oh and one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-F-q-Bme4.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-12-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Well this guy must have the biggest hobgoblin in his head look at his review on Homecoming though I myself found the movie awkward when it didn't even try to make Peter Parker act like Peter Parker though I started indifferent and some how I am still indifferent though it offends me a little as craftsman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MdNXpDo4i4 and these ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4_SZ5WATkE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgGvf6uSgw. Oh and one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-F-q-Bme4.
    I don't really care what other people say or thing about the Marvel movies. People have their own biases and I don't care to figure out what they are and I absolutely refuse to let what other people think affect my enjoyment of something. I am quite capable of making up my own mind and and forming my own opinions and there are entirely too many people engaged in so called criticism who are only happy when they are bitching about something, and frankly life is too short for me to deal with people like that of my own volition. SO no I am not reading those reviews because it would be 10 minutes of my life I would never have back and there are so many other better things I could do with that time, like read or watch something I do like.

-M

I don't really care what other people say or thing about the Marvel movies. People have their own biases and I don't care to figure out what they are and I absolutely refuse to let what other people think affect my enjoyment of something. I am quite capable of making up my own mind and and forming my own opinions and there are entirely too many people engaged in so called criticism who are only happy when they are bitching about something, and frankly life is too short for me to deal with people like that of my own volition. SO no I am not reading those reviews because it would be 10 minutes of my life I would never have back and there are so many other better things I could do with that time, like read or watch something I do like.

-M
    As far as I am concern about Marvel's current movie output they might be in trouble thanks to how much they rely on jokes these days instead of taking themselves seriously it could be a sign that they aren't confident in their skills to write a movie so they compensate by overusing jokes.

As far as I am concern about Marvel's current movie output they might be in trouble thanks to how much they rely on jokes these days instead of taking themselves seriously it could be a sign that they aren't confident in their skills to write a movie so they compensate by overusing jokes.
    Those movies are successful even if the comic buyers don't like them. Guardians 2 made 389 million, Spider-man Homecoming made 334 million, and Thor Ragnarok made 314 million. They are not in trouble and are not in danger of going away anytime soon. Of all that money made, I daresay that only a fraction came from regular comic buyers. The movie producers have to go with what they think the general public will respond to. I think all the changes have been clever, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Those movies are successful even if the comic buyers don't like them. Guardians 2 made 389 million, Spider-man Homecoming made 334 million, and Thor Ragnarok made 314 million. They are not in trouble and are not in danger of going away anytime soon. Of all that money made, I daresay that only a fraction came from regular comic buyers. The movie producers have to go with what they think the general public will respond to. I think all the changes have been clever, for the most part.
    Eventually someone will have to notice the flaws and that most of the movies look exactly the same with different touches and the over use of bathos or comical breaks in serious moments might cause trouble in the future. And then once the over saturation sinks in then people will not attend out of boredom.

Isn't that true for anything? You do what works until it stops working, then you do something else. The public can't get enough of the Marvel Movies.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    Isn't that true for anything? You do what works until it stops working, then you do something else. The public can't get enough of the Marvel Movies.
    Yeah but for how long anything that's trendy will eventually fall into decline. So for their Marvel better be ready for the inevitable they maybe huge what about in the coming years?

BANNED

Yeah but for how long anything that's trendy will eventually fall into decline. So for their Marvel better be ready for the inevitable they maybe huge what about in the coming years?
    People have been saying this since before Iron Man came out.

Wake me when it actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    People have been saying this since before Iron Man came out.

Wake me when it actually happens.
    Eh I get what you mean I admit even I don't really see a future where the public gets tired of superhero adaptations. We're already in 2018 and it still doesn't look like it's going to happen any time. But I wonder how long until people get tired of the same joke fest they've been getting all these years?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-13-2018 at 09:02 AM.

BANNED

Eh I get what you mean I admit even I don't really see a future where the public gets tired of superhero adaptations. We're already in 2018 and it still doesn't look like it's going to happen any time. But I wonder how long until people get tired of the same joke fest they've been getting all these years?
    I'm not actually seeing the same joke fest anywhere.