Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What and who would you want in another New Mutants ongoing?

Just curious.....in looking at the thread with the sales numbers and keeping in mind the upcoming New Mutants movie, it feels like it's time for another New Mutants ongoing. I've seen quite a few posters mention how they want Al Ewing to be the writer. I can't say I agree or disagree. I haven't been a fan of USAvengers and only read a little bit of the Ultimates. Seems like Keiron Filled would be a good fit though and so would Peter David or Mike Carey. Even Brian Wood and Kyle/Yost would seem like a decent fit too. Aside from best fit as for as a writer..... I think a distinct mission statement is important, something that distinguishes the book from other ones.
    All that said.....

Who would you want in the team?

Who should be the writer?

What should be the team premise or mission statement?

BANNED

I am still fond of the New Mutants taking care of the X-Men's unfinished business. There are still a number of X-Men plotlines left open over the years.
    • Every prisoner in the X-brig released by Danger, including Empath, Mortis, Astra, and Joseph.
    • What is the nature of the relationship between Blink, Chamber and Apocalypse and what does it mean for them?
    • Does Ernst have anything to do with Cassandra Nova?
    • Did any of the resurrected mutants from Necrosha remain alive? It was hinted that some of them would. Perhaps the original Hellions?
    • Is Face the only X-baby still alive?
    • Where are Selene and Madelyne Pryor?
    • What happened to the M-twins and who or what is Hollow?
    • Which mutants survived from other universes post-Secret Wars?
    • And of course all of the mutants unaccounted for

That's a lot of story potential and a big mission statement. Unfinished Business is a great way to relaunch the New Mutants franchise.

I'm not too sure in terms of the writer, but I think the artist could maybe be Lan Medina or Leonard Kirk? I'll admit I don't keep track of what most artists do. I only remember names from my favorite past titles.

As for the team, I've been torn on this when trying to draft a team myself. While a classic lineup is always great, it's also nice to mix things up. The most iconic iteration (and I think the longest running) was Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Magik, Magma, Cypher and Karma. Blink and X-Man were nice additions (though were a little underused in my opinion) but I would rather they appeared elsewhere. I would bring Wolfsbane and Boom-Boom back into the fold, though I suppose that means losing Karma or something. And outside of that, I would really love to see Husk among the New Mutants, because the Guthries ought to stick together, and also because she's damn cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I am still fond of the New Mutants taking care of the X-Men's unfinished business. There are still a number of X-Men plotlines left open over the years.
    • Every prisoner in the X-brig released by Danger, including Empath, Mortis, Astra, and Joseph.
    • What is the nature of the relationship between Blink, Chamber and Apocalypse and what does it mean for them?
    • Did any of the resurrected mutants from Necrosha remain alive? It was hinted that some of them would. Perhaps the original Hellions?

That's a lot of story potential and a big mission statement. Unfinished Business is a great way to relaunch the New Mutants franchise.

I'm not too sure in terms of the writer, but I think the artist could maybe be Lan Medina or Leonard Kirk? I'll admit I don't keep track of what most artists do. I only remember names from my favorite past titles.

As for the team, I've been torn on this when trying to draft a team myself. While a classic lineup is always great, it's also nice to mix things up. The most iconic iteration (and I think the longest running) was Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Magik, Magma, Cypher and Karma. Blink and X-Man were nice additions (though were a little underused in my opinion) but I would rather they appeared elsewhere. I would bring Wolfsbane and Boom-Boom back into the fold, though I suppose that means losing Karma or something. And outside of that, I would really love to see Husk among the New Mutants, because the Guthries ought to stick together, and also because she's damn cool.
    I'd love to see Wolfsbane brought back because she hasn't been connected to the New Mutants in ages. Boom-Boom and Rictor as well. I'd also like to see Blink and X-Man since Blink was part of the Gen X age, and I think X-Man could benefit from being on a team of "youngsters" like him. Husk should also join as you said to be with her brother and I wouldn't mind if Jubilee did too, especially for her dynamic with Boom-Boom. I also wouldn't mind Dust, since I like her and she was part of the Age of X New Mutants team. Obviously that would be way too many characters all together, so some would have to be cut out, but I'd like to see anyone from this pool of characters.

I like Karma, but I always felt like she didn't fit much in the team. She was barely around for one, but also her age bracket was completely different from the others.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post

I would love to see some of these things resolved, or follow-up upon as well.

I would like Blink on the team again, along with Karma, Sunspot and Magma and Cannonball as leader. Since Husk and Chamber don't have any interesting roles at the moment, I would like to see them on the team as well. Let's add Cipher, Hellion and Surge on it to make the team complete.

No Moonstar, Warlock, Cypher or Wolfsbane for me, never liked them much.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Well actually (sry it's rly bugging me), the most iconic and longest running team of New Mutants are Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, Sunspot, Karma, Wolfsbane, Magma, Magik, Cypher, and Warlock. While I would love for Boom-Boom and Ric to come back, they belong on other teams IMO. Rictor on X-Factor (w/ Shattybuns) and Tabby on whatever team Warpath and Domino join.

Like most have my favorites like Surge, Hollow, Mercury, Rockslide, Hellion, Anole, Hijack, Stepford sisters (maybe one of them trying to get away from Emma and others a little), Laura, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Armor, Bling and many others and sincerely good candidates are not lacking.

GX has its charm but it's not exactly what some expected so this is something that fans have been waiting for a long time.

Now regarding the mission this depends on whether we want them acting in harmony with the adult X-mens or not. If so then they will need observers and guides like Karma, Sage or another teacher. Now if they are acting going against the will of the adults then probably they will prefer independence as heroes or they will act hidden as in secret operations so that the adults do not discover what they are doing.

From what noticed in GX and Gold, adults prefer not to involve young mutants in missions. However, as already shown, some students are not happy with this treatment and this could be one of the reasons that would lead them to prove themselves as X-mens.

Many of the students are already tired of seeing friends dying at school like Surge, Hellion and Rockslide so it would not be surprising if they decided to take a stand against the decisions of the adults.

Writer: Bunn, G. Willow Wilson, Al Ewing,Gerry Duggan.
    Artist: Humberto Ramos,Gerardo Sandoval,Chris Bachalo,Pepe Larraz, Valerio Schiti

Cannonball
    Moonstar
    Sunspot
    Boom-Boom
    Rictor
    Shatterstar
    Magma

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Al Ewing, James Tynion IV, or Marjorie Liu
    Asrar, Dauterman, or Anka

Moonstar
    Cannonball
    Sunspot
    Magik
    Wolfsbane
    Cypher
    Warlock
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would rather see the original New Mutants in a new X-Force series. Get them back to the more outsiders role doing there own thing apart from the X-Men. All of the originals have graduated beyond the New Mutants name. The title should be for the Gen X/Young X-Men/New Mutants (2nd group) kids now.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I would rather see the original New Mutants in a new X-Force series. Get them back to the more outsiders role doing there own thing apart from the X-Men. All of the originals have graduated beyond the New Mutants name. The title should be for the Gen X/Young X-Men/New Mutants (2nd group) kids now.
    I think the NXM kids would make more sense in a new X force title, the New Mutants brand belongs to the originals.

BANNED

I'd prefer a new Generation X book.

Spectacular Member

I'd like the orginals plus Nate. They've accomplished so much since their early days though so I can't see them acting the role of the junior team. Especially since they have a lot of powerhouses like Magik, Warlock, Nate...

I'd like Berto to form an Extinction team type of line-up (Shaman Nate, Darkchilde, Hela amped Dani, Warlock, didn't Cannonball have an amp years ago?, Karma) to face threats like Legion, Hell-Lords, Gods, Mathew Malloy, etc...

BANNED

Wolfsbane this time!

The movie lineup plus Cypher with Al Ewing and Paco Medina after USAvengers.

I'd rather Moonstar be on a grown up team and have mini NM reunions throughout the books. I feel like I grew up with this cast and on that same token I don't feel like its best to go back to that route.

If you twist my arm I would have a lineup of
    Moonstar
    Cannonball
    Wolfsbane
    Sunspot
    Magik
    Rictor
    Boom Boom

I'd add Karma if I could make it 8. Shattybuns for a recurring role.