View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Fire, Vibe, Tarantula, and Kyle Rayner are favorites of mine.

Loving Tarantula's new look here.

Love Catalina Flores Tarantula.
    Not surprisingly another anti-hero, powerful but ultimately self destructive. (pattern?)
    Another character I wish could be pushed to the forefront, yet mostlly writers have let her languish.

Her intro and stint with Grayson was epic, although it ended as we all know quite controversially, both on panel and behind the scenes. Garnering the character lots of hate.

Simone interestingly revisited her in Secret Six, but inevitably killed her, used her to play the I'll sacrifice myself for the greater good card(or was it greed, I can't remember)?
    There was a strong sense of she had it coming, behind her death, which made me a bit uneasy.

I haven't read her re-appearance yet, but I'm glad to see they've brought her back, as I think she has great potential both visually and thematically.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Reposting this here-

If there was any doubt about Santana's fate, the "new" Suicide Squad roster...

If anyone is still wondering or claiming otherwise how a Latino (and Native American) rose to be prominently featured in DC/WB film.
    It's ONLY because of the nature of concept THEY NEEDED A CHARACTER TO SACRIFICE!
    You can see above the characters they are genuinely interested in developing further.
    It it does not include Santana, whose identity will be used and left as a one note cliche.

And don't get me wrong, I love the expendable theme of the Squad, knowing they are there to die, it's what makes it work, the character role is important, I like this character, I'm ecstatic to see him on film and hoping he is a character you can root for, till hopefully his epic yet predictable end. And that he isn't just punked (see poor slipknot for that). I appreciate the arc (despite however horribly cliched it is) of a salvatrucha looking gang member trying for redemption, to do something right with the last moment of his life, it's tragic and powerful, a great theme and character rooted in some truths, that should be explored.

But the underlying (if it wasn't so disgusting it would be laughable) irony is that it is because the implicitly "expendable" nature of the role, that we get a Latino "superhero" on film at all, that they took that opportunity and reached into their pantheon of "who do we have that is most expendable" and that is where it defaulted to roles for native american and mexican american male on film.

Those are not the characters who get to survive, who you get to follow to other great adventures.
    That truth shouldn't be lost on anyone.

A look at their in development film properties, doesn't have roles for latino hero leads.
    They have none (because they never created one) to stand shoulder to shoulder with their biggest franchise JL.
    Vibe is a sidekick.
    Blue & Gold will likely default to the popular Ted Kord & Booster Gold
    Renee Montoya is dead in the comics, the next wave of Bat Films if she's used at all will be likely a background cop.
    And these are their supposed most prominent most pushed, well developed Latino characters they have, and they have no chance.
    yeah i think this is pretty telling. i figured the chances of El Diablo surviving were slim but seeming the Rebirth lineup pretty much confirms that he won't make it to the end of the flick. but the fact that there was some focus on him in the last trailer and he's actually going to be featured on some Suicide Squad merchandise could mean that DC/WB realizes that there is potential in pushing a Latino superhero/anti-hero. the fastest growing demographic in the US is begging for some representation in the superhero film genre (or any media). i think they realize that there is money to be made by promoting the fact that El Diablo is the first hispanic meta on the big screen. hopefully this leads to bigger and better things. Jaime Reyes is a prime candidate for a feature film. hell i would like to see Ted Kord too but maybe in a mentor role like he'll be in the Rebirth series.
    pretty sure there are similar motives for creating the Chinese Superman. China is now a huge market for US films. they're probably hoping that it has untapped potential for comic book sales as well.

Extraordinary Member

kyle rayner may show up in green lantern and you don't know if his is role will be leading role or not and they may mention is latino side too.

I'm still holding out hope for Blue Beetle! Come on DC he's arguably your top Latino hero!! Give him the big screen treatment

As for Kyle, hopefully they cast a Latino as him for GLC instead a White guy (basically the opposite of what they did with Bane).

BANE!!!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 08-13-2016 at 09:55 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I'm still holding out hope for Blue Beetle! Come on DC he's arguably your top Latino hero!! Give him the big screen treatment

As for Kyle, hopefully they cast a Latino as him for GLC instead a White guy (basically the opposite of what they did with Bane).
    Well i think kyle is a white Latino anyway in the comics(some others say he is not,who knows),and they may cast a white latino,or not.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-jay-hernandez

a short interview with Jay Hernandez about Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Love Catalina Flores Tarantula.
    Not surprisingly another anti-hero, powerful but ultimately self destructive. (pattern?)
    Another character I wish could be pushed to the forefront, yet mostlly writers have let her languish.

Her intro and stint with Grayson was epic, although it ended as we all know quite controversially, both on panel and behind the scenes. Garnering the character lots of hate.

Simone interestingly revisited her in Secret Six, but inevitably killed her, used her to play the I'll sacrifice myself for the greater good card(or was it greed, I can't remember)?
    There was a strong sense of she had it coming, behind her death, which made me a bit uneasy.

I haven't read her re-appearance yet, but I'm glad to see they've brought her back, as I think she has great potential both visually and thematically.
    Catalina made a great supporting character in Nightwing, but yes...she was taking down a dark path (as did the book) that should've never have happen IMHO.

At first I saw her similar to Huntress...a little more tougher on criminals than a normal vigilante like Nightwing would like. Catalina was an F.B.I. agent, who was inspired by the original Golden Age Tarantula to become a hero in order to fight the injustice in her hometown of Bludhaven.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-jay-hernandez

a short interview with Jay Hernandez about Suicide Squad.
    That gives me some hope that El Diablo won't die in the movie or if he does then he will end up coming back, having been resurrected by the spirit (demon) of vengeance and become more powerful.

They don't really verify what nationality a lot of the new Hispanic characters are. We know Jaime is Mexican-American but they haven't said anything about the new Vibe or Jessica Cruz. Paco Ramon was Puerto Rican so can we just assume that Cisco Ramon is too?

Spectacular Member

Definitely Gangbuster/Jose Delgado is my favorite.

I think Jaime is the one who has gotten the most attention and push by DC. It's how i came to know the character, through the cartoons. DC needs to start doing that more often as thats how characters become known, popular and iconic. Cheers to more Blue Beetle appearances (JLA cartoon is next up).

I sure wouldn't mind seeing Tarantula in a Batman animated series or on the Arrow TV show.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    I sure wouldn't mind seeing Tarantula in a Batman animated series or on the Arrow TV show.

Got a question. can this Tarantula wall crawl? The Golden Age Tarantula was kind of Spider-Man before Spider-Man. He had small suction cups on his fingers which allowed him to wall crawl and he carried a web gun. Does the current Tarantula do anything spider related or is it just a name?
    I just know her as the woman who raped Dick Grayson.

KYLE VASQUEZ RAYNER

We can use this thread to discuss how well DC is utilizing their Latino characters, whether good or bad.

I feel that DC is off to a decent start. Jaime Reyes is co-leading with Ted Kord and it seems like he will be keeping the BB name/mantle. Jessica Cruz is co-leading a book with Simon Baz as well as being a part of the Justice League. I'm almost certain Diablo will be in the Suicide Squad title, though he will probably die.

I don't know what the other Latinos are up to. Are Kyle and Kendra still around? I know Vibe, Renee and Bunker are in comic limbo along with Pantha and Aquagirl (whom have been there for ages ) unfortunately. There's still room for improvement.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 08-13-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I don't know what the other Latinos are up to. Are Kyle and Kendra still around?
    Yes they are and still will be.
    Kendra is and will be in earth 2 society.
    Kyle is in omega men and most likely will be in hal jordan and green lantern corps book.
    You could always look up dc wiki for appearances for when a character shows up in a book.

Some examples-

Category:Kyle Rayner (Prime Earth)/Appearances - DC Database ...
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ky...29/Appearances

For all Appearances you could go here.
    Kyle Rayner - DC Database - Wikia
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Rayner

Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) - Green Lantern Wiki - Wikia
    http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/G...Kyle_Rayner%29

You could check this too but the above ones are more accurate when it comes to comic book appearances.
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/search.ph...type=Character
    and
    Kyle Rayner (Character) - Comic Vine
    Last edited by mace11; 05-14-2016 at 01:13 AM.