Page 368 of 555 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378418468 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Can someone point me to a great recap of season 1 to 7? A detailed one. I want to refresh my memory before the final season premier.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIHF4S9wMfI
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Found a good one. All seasons, and each one is 20-30 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bH6...xEn8b8UY4R1iSx

Planning on re-watching two episodes a day, starting today.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

ONE WEEK until the premiere of season 8. Time to dust off this thread and get ready.

While i have my critisism about D&D handling of Martin's material and Martin's inability to finish the plot in his books, i can't lie about feeling hyped about the last season. I mean, most of the main cast are in Winterfell,at the frontline of the Great War. That's important enough to get you hyped.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    While i have my critisism about D&D handling of Martin's material and Martin's inability to finish the plot in his books, i can't lie about feeling hyped about the last season. I mean, most of the main cast are in Winterfell,at the frontline of the Great War. That's important enough to get you hyped.
    I think that regardless of some mishaps, the general plotting of the series has still had the momentum in the big picture to make this a big deal. Yeah Dorne happened, yeah some questionable things happened. At the end of the day we are finally getting Jon and Dany vs the white Walkers and probably finally a reckoning with Cersei Lannister for the throne.

Team Knight King!

I'm getting ready to finish up my season four rewatch now with plans to rewatch seasons five six and seven in the next seven days. Can't wait for the finale
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I wonder if the conclusion of the TV show will rob GRRM of whatever small motivation he had left to finish the books. He might be tempted to just publish a pamphlet saying "Bla bla bla, you know how it turned out." Hard to imagine D&D would have a vastly different ending that Martin plans.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I wonder if the conclusion of the TV show will rob GRRM of whatever small motivation he had left to finish the books. He might be tempted to just publish a pamphlet saying "Bla bla bla, you know how it turned out." Hard to imagine D&D would have a vastly different ending that Martin plans.
    I think the TV series is the main reason for his not finishing the books. The mass popularity of the TV show which followed the outline he gave to the creators for the final seasons means that no matter how well he writes the final two books the major reveals are already known. Jon's heritage being the biggest. So now he is trapped trying to figure out a way to make things meaningful or considering trying to find a way to be different. Its a lose / lose situation for him: write anti climactic books or do major retconning to allow for something new. To which he's basically chosen a third path which is do nothing.

I don't believe we will ever see Winds of Winter, let alone the final book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I think the TV series is the main reason for his not finishing the books. The mass popularity of the TV show which followed the outline he gave to the creators for the final seasons means that no matter how well he writes the final two books the major reveals are already known. Jon's heritage being the biggest. So now he is trapped trying to figure out a way to make things meaningful or considering trying to find a way to be different. Its a lose / lose situation for him: write anti climactic books or do major retconning to allow for something new. To which he's basically chosen a third path which is do nothing.

I had been holding out hope that Martin had the books finished and was just holding off on releasing them so it wouldn't spoil the TV series, but there has been a pretty noticeable drop off in the storytelling quality in the last couple of seasons, and it's clear that the show runners have had to improvise a lot more than they really wanted to. But this doesn't really excuse Martin, it's been eight years since the last book came out and no matter how busy he is with side projects and media appearances, he's had plenty time to finish writing if he really wanted to. The real problem is that the story has gotten so complex and convoluted over the years that there is really no way to wrap up everything in a satisfying manner, and it's virtually guaranteed at this point that whatever ending the series comes up with is going to be unpopular and controversial, because no matter what choices they make there will more than enough vocal fans who dislike it. Martin could definitely do better than the show's writers, but he's probably happy to let them take this bullet for him rather than have to expend all his creative energy just to produce something people will inevitably hate.

I haven't read the books, but I've heard quite a few people say there's been a noticeable drop in quality there. Aside from the plot convenience stuff, like Euron's teleporting fleet and Daenerys's supersonic dragon, I haven't seen much of a decline in the TV show's storytelling. Some stuff, like the Dorne plotline, has been a mess, but the main story is quite strong. With only six episodes left I'm pretty sure the story will be laser focused from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I haven't read the books, but I've heard quite a few people say there's been a noticeable drop in quality there. Aside from the plot convenience stuff, like Euron's teleporting fleet and Daenerys's supersonic dragon, I haven't seen much of a decline in the TV show's storytelling. Some stuff, like the Dorne plotline, has been a mess, but the main story is quite strong. With only six episodes left I'm pretty sure the story will be laser focused from here on out.
    Seasons 5 & 6 were noticeably weaker than seasons 3 & 4 in terms of the storyline, dialogue, etc....Season 7 was more fast-paced than the earlier seasons (They're trying to wrap things up), and the only issues I'd have with season 7 are what you mentioned, the speed with which certain characters/groups were able to travel, but that can be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Team Knight King!
    Team Cersei!
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

I feel that Martin's biggest mistake is that he expanded the plot, instead of streamlined it.While the first 3 books(season 1-4 of tv series) which were the first part of the saga(the War of 5 Kings) had a clear direction, i feel his 4th and 5th book(the aftermath of the war and the prologue to the Great War) convulted things instead of simplifing the plot. Hell,i'm sure that Martin has a general view about how he wants to end the saga but he can't bring his characters into that road, because the road multiplied into many paths. I hope that Martin wants to see how the series will end and took some ideas of how to move things. But really,i feel that Martin pretty much abandoned the series and he decided to take every penny from their rights.