Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default MINO: Marvel In Name Only

The good. The bad. The ugly.

This is the place to discuss your favorite/most hated elements of Marvel Comics that were adapted beyond recognition by the films or other media.

My personal most disappointing MINO was Zemo (whom I've approvingly heard referred to as ZINO). He was shorne of all all the backstory that set him on a path of destroying Captain America, going after the Avengers only because Cap loved them, and they were likely to get in the way. His plot in CA:TWS was still pretty good, but it just lacked the power for a real Zemo story. Admittedly, some of that stems from my disappointment that MCU Phase 2 didn't culminate in a Masters of Evil throwdown.

My personal favorite MINO was M'Baku (aka Man-Ape in the comics). While not faithful to the original, they managed to hang on to the most important parts of the comic character. A powerful rival. A rivalry fueled by a nostalgia for the old ways. A reverence for the sacred white gorilla. Yet they took from him the problematic elements, and gave him dignity and honor, and humor.

ETA: I originally aimed this at the MCU films, but a couple of posts brought up some other worthy MINOs.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.

The entire cast of the Generation X tv movie

Good: Reb Brown's Captain America, complete with fiberglass shield. So much a better watch than Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man. If I'm gonna indulge in old school live action Spidey I go the Japanese Toei route.

Bad and Ugly: 1990's Captain America, Salinger never reached the charm level as Cap on any level.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I think we might get a more comic-accurate Zemo in The Falcon and Winter Soldier show. He's already going to be wearing his comic mask.

The bad, the first Punisher movie:
    • Dolph Lundgren was hella imposing, his origin was completely changed for no particular reason as he could have actually been a Vietnam vet given Dolph’s age and when the movie was made, the plot was adequate at best, but for the love of god, could no one figure out how to put a skull on a t-shirt?

The ugly, the second Punisher movie:
    • Thomas Jane was decent in his look, his origin was completely changed and took up SO MUCH OF THE MOVIE, the plot was a mish mash of then popular comic storylines and...John Travolta (who I like) taking up EVEN MORE OF THE MOVIE. Honestly this was a train wreck.

The good, the third Punisher movie:
    • Ray Stevenson really nailed the part physically. He was no pretty boy and looked hard, grizzled. His origin was changed, but handled great, making him a Marine (which meant he’d served in Desert Storm/The War on Terror so bonafides established as close to the comic version as possible w. no sliding timeline), touching on it and moving on. The plot was over the top and somewhat hokey in spots, but also ultra violent w. a dark sense of humor which was all Punisher.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-27-2020 at 12:27 PM.

I loved the third Punisher movie

Despite not having much to do with the comics apart from gamma irradiated man transforming into a green super-strong green giant when he gets angry, I think the Incredible Hulk TV show is generally well-regarded. It's been referenced in both of the feature films, and has also influenced the comics at times (The latest being the McGee character in Ewing's run).

The TV movies, on the other hand, I think were generally agreed to be kind of a letdown, with their kind of odd takes on Thor etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Despite not having much to do with the comics apart from gamma irradiated man transforming into a green super-strong green giant when he gets angry, I think the Incredible Hulk TV show is generally well-regarded. It's been referenced in both of the feature films, and has also influenced the comics at times (The latest being the McGee character in Ewing's run).

The TV movies, on the other hand, I think were generally agreed to be kind of a letdown, with their kind of odd takes on Thor etc.
    Yes, for deviations from the comics I liked, I'd go with the television Hulk where Banner's motives were deeper than even in the comics. In the comics, getting irradiated was a freak accident to save a total stranger. In the show, it was an intentional experiment to increase strength after he was unable to save his wife.

For renditions I hated, the 1990 Captain America. Gawd, I was cheering for the Red Skull because he was the sympathetic character.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    While the TV movies were bad generally speaking, they gave us our first (very rough) look at a shared Marvel universe, which, seeing at how far we’ve come is pretty cool in hindsight.

While the Daredevil movie was forgettable (other than being able to say ‘hey it’s John Rhys-Davies as Kingpinn’), the Thor movie is remembered fondly by many fans (myself included) for Eric Allan Kramer’s hammy good natured portrayal of the Thunder God, as well as being one of the few times we get to see Ferrigno’s Hulk in something like an actual fight, so there’s some good in there!

Minos I like. Yandu, Man-Ape, and Killmonger.

Minos I didnt like. Zemo( he was fine but unless they develop him more I could care less about him
    Whiplash( they basically merged two characters together and I hated that outcome)

If we include other Marvel characters the list of Minos I dont like becomes way bigger. Most the Xmen characters outside the core group didnt resemble the comics at all. F4 movies got characters who arent Thing and Johnny wrong constantly. Sandman, Rhino,Electro, Both Green Goblins( I like Defoes Norman but Green Goblin I hated in both franchises)

Doc Ock would be a mino I liked though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    While the TV movies were bad generally speaking, they gave us our first (very rough) look at a shared Marvel universe, which, seeing at how far we’ve come is pretty cool in hindsight.

While the Daredevil movie was forgettable (other than being able to say ‘hey it’s John Rhys-Davies as Kingpinn’), the Thor movie is remembered fondly by many fans (myself included) for Eric Allan Kramer’s hammy good natured portrayal of the Thunder God, as well as being one of the few times we get to see Ferrigno’s Hulk in something like an actual fight, so there’s some good in there!
    You mean Michael Clark Duncan?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I believe he's referencing the Incredible Hulk TV movies from 1988 - 1990. The Incredible Hulk Returns had an appearance by Thor. The Trial of the Incredible Hulk had an appearance by Daredevil and Kingpin.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I believe he's referencing the Incredible Hulk TV movies from 1988 - 1990. The Incredible Hulk Returns had an appearance by Thor. The Trial of the Incredible Hulk had an appearance by Daredevil and Kingpin.
    Yeah, ChrisIII referred to the TV movies and I was responding to him.
    Sorry about any confusion.

Mighty Member

Viper and Silver Samurai from The Wolverine. They sucked. Viper isn't intimidating in the slightest and Silver Samurai had bad CGI for the standard of its time where all tension goes away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah, ChrisIII referred to the TV movies and I was responding to him.
    Sorry about any confusion.
    I forgot about the Kingpin in the hulk movies...shame on me...but it was soooo bad