Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Imagine them adding an "Oscar Mode" option to the streaming version of Everything, Everywhere, All At Once, which is nothing but the text "Oscar Winning Movie!" appearing during "certain" scenes. Which just for the info isn't meant against the movie.

Hope that success isn't going to be detrimental for them though.

Shame Elvis didn't win in any of it's categories.

This year I was surprised by. Between the smith slap jokes and cocaine bear jokes we had some great heartfelt moments. Shame john Williom's didn't break the record they were teasing but we got some actors who have been around for a long time winning for the first time and they clearly were emotional over it. Frasier in tears, Yeoh crying telling woman "Don't let anyone tell you you're too old to make it" to Curtus emotional "i won a Oscor".

The look on both Curtis and bassist face however was telling. Bassett was really shocked. She was pretty much expected to win. Curtus mouth open and shocked face. She didn't expect to win. Moments like the guy talking about his dog at the hotel and them singing happy birthday was great also.

The end gag with "days without oscar accident" than high fiving cocaine bear was a funny way to end it.

Also, man west front and everywhere swept this year. Black panther did get one award and so did top gun. Did Elvis or fablemans win anything? Looks like turning red or boots couldn't defeat Pinocchio.

Brendon Fraser was visibly overcome. He has always found work but went from a marquee star to supporting rolls, mainly on TV. As good as he is on Doom Patrol, he is just voicing a character in a streaming sci-fi series.
    This Oscar means he will be starring in movies again. He and his Encino Man co star got the biggest boosts last night.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Angela not winning was rough but glad she was at least recognized and won other awards for the role this season. Ruth Carter's win making her the first Black woman to win 2 Oscars was great

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Just saw that A24 is the first studio to sweep the six major Oscar categories. That's really impressive.

Well second. Turns out when the oscars had less main categories another studios film swept all of them in the 1930s. Still second is still a huge win.

I didn't think Bassett's performance was Oscar worthy. She a great actress and this is the kind of thing she can do in her sleep. She has been better in other movie rolls. Deserved a nomination, but not the award.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Niffleheim

I didn't watch any of these movies but there must have been a split vote between Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu for EEAAO and JLC winning just illustrates that there is still something wrong with that voting body still. I'm betting this is a career award considering the length of her performance (maybe someone will correct me if her performance was better than Hsu)

Anyway this just reminds me of Judi Dench winning in the same category saying "“I feel for eight minutes on the screen, I should only get a little bit of him.”
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I think Basset gave a better performance than Curtis, but this was one of those moments where the Oscars felt the person earned it for their career and not what they were nominated for.

Babel, Letters from Imo Jimo, The Queen, United 93 were all better IMO than Departed but in 07 Academy felt like "Oh Shit, WTF were we thinking in 91 when we gave Costner the Award for Dancing with Wolves vs Scorsese for Goodfellas.".

I mean is Scent of Woman really Al Pacino's Best Performance?

Never mind all that - was it Tim or Gregg's turn to nearly/actually commit accidental manslaughter this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Brendon Fraser was visibly overcome. He has always found work but went from a marquee star to supporting rolls, mainly on TV. As good as he is on Doom Patrol, he is just voicing a character in a streaming sci-fi series.
    This Oscar means he will be starring in movies again. He and his Encino Man co star got the biggest boosts last night.

Don't forget he did Mummy III with Michelle as well.

Also kind of cool that Ke gave a shout-out to Jeff Cohen, his "Goonie brother". Jeff played Chunk in the original but now is a lawyer, and helped negotiate the contract for EEAO.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think this was an all around good show with all the winners being totally deserving of the Oscar. No wins because of Hollywood politics. There have been a lot of complaints about many of the top movies of the past few years being depressing slogs. This year there was a lot of variety and enjoyable flicks. So happy the EEAO cleaned up!

I was hoping to see Colin Ferrel win but I knew no one was going to beat Brendan Fraser.
    I didn't think Bassett's performance was Oscar worthy. She a great actress and this is the kind of thing she can do in her sleep. She has been better in other movie rolls. Deserved a nomination, but not the award.
    I have to disagree about the performance being Oscar worthy, but we know we have different opinions about Wakanda Forever. That said, I actually saw all the supporting Actress movies, except Hong Chau (which I'm going to watch this week), and I honestly think the only competition Bassett had was from Stephanie Hsu. Had Stephanie won, I'd have been less salty, because she had a major role in EEAAO, and played a ton of characters. But Angela has been winning more in the big awards leading up to the Oscars. I don't think Hsu won any and Curtis only won the SAG award.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I didn't watch any of these movies but there must have been a split vote between Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu for EEAAO and JLC winning just illustrates that there is still something wrong with that voting body still. I'm betting this is a career award considering the length of her performance (maybe someone will correct me if her performance was better than Hsu)

Anyway this just reminds me of Judi Dench winning in the same category saying "“I feel for eight minutes on the screen, I should only get a little bit of him.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think Basset gave a better performance than Curtis, but this was one of those moments where the Oscars felt the person earned it for their career and not what they were nominated for.

That is exactly what happened, IMO. Curtis got it for her body of work. But that makes it look worse, because Angela Bassett has an equal, or stronger body of work. They are the same age. Angela also had a nomination in 1994 for What's Love Got to Do With It? (which she did great in) and lost to Holly Hunter's Piano performance. I think part of it was Jamie Lee Curtis has far more Hollywood cachet with the older Academy members because of her parents.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    A lot goes into how people vote. Being that her movie ended up with Best Picture help. Being the daughter of Hollywood icons helped. Having a long career helped. Also, being that Bassett was in a superhero movie didn't help her. The best performances are not always awarded -- that's nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hooray, Short Round!

And Brendan Fraser, wow that was really well earned.
    The narrative for the actors was great, but their performances were really good.

I was rooting for Fraser over Butler, although I hope these films lead to better roles for both of them.

He is in the midst of a hell of a comeback with a Scorsese role coming soon.

This seems a bit similar to Matthew McConaughey a few years ago.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 03-13-2023 at 05:05 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Really? I thought her only competition was Stephanie Hsu, and with Curtis would split the vote.

Have to agree. The best song, IMO. So much fun!
    Bassett didn't win any awards by the industry, rather the shamelessly Oscar predictors like Critics Choice and Globes, and there were reports of people refusing to see her movie because it was a MCU one. Besides JLC, Kerry Condon was also ahead of her and probably finished second