Page 18 of 774 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Not be ableist here but I hope they don't go that routine simply because it would reinforce the idea of comic Wanda's supposed mental illness and the idea that "she is always meant as mental illness representation/mentally unstable" which is as false as you can get and other bollocks. If they are gonna do this, aside from the apparent stuff you say, they should also throw some fucking shade at the original comic depictions, just to knock those ideas out of those fans' head.
    I personally just don't mind if she becomes the actual representation and not the stereotype. The stereotype leads to dangerous assertions about those with mental illness. It'd have to be depicted right. The problem is that outside of a couple of comics, it's never really been treated well in this genre.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Not be ableist here but I hope they don't go that routine simply because it would reinforce the idea of comic Wanda's supposed mental illness and the idea that "she is always meant as mental illness representation/mentally unstable" which is as false as you can get and other bollocks. If they are gonna do this, aside from the apparent stuff you say, they should also throw some fucking shade at the original comic depictions, just to knock those ideas out of those fans' head.
    What? Why should we consider that bad. The way a character is meant to be portrayed shouldn't be dictated by their inception, it should and will evolve with the stories that unfold around them. And I don't think a pristine, "boss b*tch" Wanda does any service to her story. This sentiment that suffering and dealing with mental illness and trauma somehow tarnishes her character isn't something that I can get behind. That's not to say these story elements have been given near enough respect as they should (not even close), but ignoring or erasing a very real part of her character to make her "better" or more palatable just wouldn't sit right with me.

Should she be mired down by the mistakes of past writers, solely using her as a plot device and playing into dangerous tropes about mental illness *cough pretender BS*? No. But should she represent the very real and even positive aspects of dealing with mental illness and trauma? Yes. Demonstrate her fortitude and perseverance in acknowledging and coping with her emotional and psychological scars. Even before House of M there were clear elements in her history that show her struggling with, coping with, and overcoming trauma. I understand the frustration that many of her fans have with her status quo for the last decade and a half and I'm tired of waiting for a writer to come around with the balls to give her her due justice, however, I'm hopeful that the reaction to WandaVision will light a fire under some Marvel butts and show people what we already know - Wanda is strong, beautiful, loving, and worthy, scars and all.

Great to see that they won't be going the Dark Phoenix knock-off route. Still divided on using Wanda as a representation for Mental Illness. On one hand it doesn't match the comics whose "mental illness" were the results of possessions and manipulations, however if Wanda can be used as a positive role model and example like Nadia then I would have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Great to see that they won't be going the Dark Phoenix knock-off route. Still divided on using Wanda as a representation for Mental Illness. On one hand it doesn't match the comics whose "mental illness" were the results of possessions and manipulations, however if Wanda can be used as a positive role model and example like Nadia then I would have no problem with it.
    I don't think they're gonna actually touch on mental illness that much. They mention grief and healing, so likely she's "just" depressed, and what they mean when exploring mental health is basically just showing her mental health deteriorating over all she's lost. I doubt there's gonna be any diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Most comic book writers have seemed very open to learning and improving over the past. I don't think they'll feel insulted by Wanda being handled better.
    I was talking about Byrne, Bendis, Loeb etc. I think they'd be upset. I'm hoping newer Marvel writers will adopt different approaches on how they write all the women of the Marvel Universe, including Wanda. I know Markus and McFeely wanted to adapt the House of M story in the MCU earlier, but I'm glad that Schaeffer is doing it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think they're gonna actually touch on mental illness that much. They mention grief and healing, so likely she's "just" depressed, and what they mean when exploring mental health is basically just showing her mental health deteriorating over all she's lost. I doubt there's gonna be any diagnosis.
    The vague symptoms without diagnosis or treatment is one of the problems in comics, so I hope not. Because without saying this is depression or this is psychosis, they tend to mix the two in stories.

Doesn't help that there are so many gleefully calling for her to "lose it" in the show because they think that will give them mutants.

If she's just sad, that's one thing. Most people get sad, especially over tragedy. But if they have her have a disorder, but don't portray it well, that could be a problem. Even if she's considered to have depression but only is sad for a short time but gets over it and it's never a thing again. Because depression is a constant struggle. And does not cause someone to create a pocket universe.

I'd actually rather they not tie it at all to super powers. Because that would create it's own falsehoods about the struggle of mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    What is wrong with her feminism?

Comic writers can't be snow flakes for being called out on their BS
    I have read that Schaeffer is a woke SJW who hates the idea of traditional families and that's why fanboys are upset she's the showrunner for WandaVision. Which confuses me considering that WandaVision will basically be a family sitcom/drama.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-09-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure if a Disney production should be a vehicle for discussing mental illness. I rather see things discussed in a Sylvia Plath and/or Howard Hughes documentary. That would be more appropriate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I was talking about Byrne, Bendis, Loeb etc. I think they'd be upset. I'm hoping newer Marvel writers will adopt different approaches on how they write all the women of the Marvel Universe, including Wanda. I know Markus and McFeely wanted to adapt the House of M story in the MCU earlier, but I'm glad that Schaeffer is doing it instead.
    None of them are with the company anymore, so it wouldn't matter how they felt. And we don't know if they are doing HoM. We don't even know if it's Wanda creating this pocket universe. And HoM wasn't even the first time she did that, if so.

I have read that Schaeffer is a woke SJW who hates the ideas of traditional families and that's why fanboys are upset she's the showrunner for WandaVision. Which confuses me considering that WandaVision will basically be a family sitcom/drama.
    People who use "woke sjw" are just describing hating progression because they are usually bigots. And there is nothing wrong with subverting the idea of a traditional family. Wanda and Vision weren't traditional. Wanda's spiritual son is not in a traditional marriage either. There's nothing wrong with any of that. Anyone screaming woke sjw can cry more.

None of them are with the company anymore, so it wouldn't matter how they felt. And we don't know if they are doing HoM. We don't even know if it's Wanda creating this pocket universe. And HoM wasn't even the first time she did that, if so.
    Very true. I still don't know how they can do House of M considering so many characters from that story are off the table right now. I do think this series will be pretty light-hearted and funny though. Look at how Disney is rating this series: PG! It will make "Touched by an Angel" appear provocative by comparison!

Very true. I still don't know how they can do House of M considering so many characters from that story are off the table right now. I do think this series will be pretty light-hearted and funny though. Look at how Disney is rating this series: PG! It will make "Touched by an Angel" appear provocative by comparison!
    I really think the closest it'll come is vague reference. Even the movies based on the Infinity Gauntlet or Brubaker's run on Cap were pretty different and from the very start they wee paying homage to those stories.

Most of the ones mentioning HoM as a theory have either only heard of that story or are hoping it brings in mutants.

Which I think is gonna start with Eternals instead.

I really think the closest it'll come is vague reference. Even the movies based on the Infinity Gauntlet or Brubaker's run on Cap were pretty different and from the very start they wee paying homage to those stories.

Most of the ones mentioning HoM as a theory have either only heard of that story or are hoping it brings in mutants.

Which I think is gonna start with Eternals instead.
    I do think that Marvel Studios is giving mutants a proper origin story which will take some time and will involve several movies and shows. And I also believe it will be a while before mutants enter the MCU. It appears WandaVision will be a more intimate and character-driven series as opposed to an "event" one. I'm okay with audiences THINKING it will bring in mutants because that will drive up viewership.

People who use "woke sjw" are just describing hating progression because they are usually bigots. And there is nothing wrong with subverting the idea of a traditional family. Wanda and Vision weren't traditional. Wanda's spiritual son is not in a traditional marriage either. There's nothing wrong with any of that. Anyone screaming woke sjw can cry more.
    I think there is nothing wrong with subverting the idea of a traditional family either. Especially in a fun, superhero context. But after witnessing the shocking events of the past week, I think there's a HUGE amount of resistance throughout the world towards the progression you speak of. I think Disney is essentially a conservative organization which promotes "family values". I don't believe they want to antagonize more conservative audiences around the world (including in the United States itself) with their movies and shows. I think they should move things in a more liberal direction GRADUALLY. I always say slow change is GOOD change. And I think that's the approach they are adopting. I don't believe that Schaeffer is a "radical feminist" like many online commenters say she is, but I don't mind feminist energy in film and television at all. I just don't get how comic books got so politically toxic in the past twenty years. It wasn't this way when I read them in the 90s.