Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I find it kind of odd people think Kylo told Rey the truth.

Minimizing her lineage would be wise if she's a Skywalker.

Skywalker women get **** done. Padme, Leia, hopefully Rey.

Skywalker men are whiney babies. Anakin, Luke, Ben.

Kylo would be no match for a fully-realized Skywalker woman.

Also on if they intend to kill the Jedi, not have Rey be a Skywalker ...

Skywalker could be the new "way" of the Force.

Skywalker being the new way to yield the Force, that balances both Light and Dark.

Jedi = Light Side, Sith = Dark Side, Skywalker = Balance and/or the new Light Side religion.

Tons of possibilities here ...
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-12-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    hqdefault 2.jpg

Like the trailer.

251 days!
    bird_claw.jpg

It's going to be a long summer.

So far we know:
    - Lando pilots the Falcon again.
    I'm in.

- Noami Ackie's character is named Jannah.
    Okay.

- Finn will be more confident and a full-fledged fighter.
    Good.

- Phasma might still be alive.
    No. Just no.

- Rose will have an expanded role, higher level officer.
    Glad to see the bigots are going to be put in their places on this.

- The Skywalker lightsaber lives.
    I like that.

- New Force feats from Rey.
    New feats are always good. (Probably will be getting more flack from the trolls over this, but since recent events have shown they don't matter, eh.)

- Lots of new aliens, all costumes.
    - D-O is the new droid. All practical.
    No CGI? It's not an either or, it's a both, IMHO.

- Lots of romance?
    And the internet will be broken over fan flame wars. Love it. (I am being sarcastic here.)

- Ian McDiarmid is listed among the cast.
    I am very curious and interested about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Hey remember how everyone turned on force running and force jumping and said it was stupid after The Force Awakens? Well, guess what is back in style?!
    It's been around since the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Abrams didn't agree with this and had planned some sort of legacy for the character when he worked on TFA. Plus the idea of her being a Skywalker apparently dates back to Lucas and his emphasis on the grandchildren for the Sequel Trilogy. The only person who didn't get the message was Rian Johnson.
    But Lucas' treatments were never used in the first place and everyone signed off on Johnson's ideas (and Abrams himself stated that he envied Johnson getting to direct the movie based on the script alone). Johnson has also stated that as far as he's concerned, Abrams could retcon his answer to Rey's family tree and he's A-okay with that. (If they did decide to retcon Rey being a Skywalker -- a daughter Luke never knew he had or something -- it could be made to fit with TLJ no problems, given that the information comes from an unreliable narrator and all that. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it and it would recontextualize TLJ in an interesting way.)

I'm feeling really good about the movie so far.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've heard a bit of a crazy fan theory which sort of explains how Rey can and possibly cannot be a Skywalker at the same time.

It's basically that Rey is a female clone of Luke, and the genetic material? Luke's lost hand, probably obtained the same way the old lightsaber was found (Which eventually found it's way to Maz).

Of course this all sounds a lot like the Luuke Skywalker character from the Zahn books (For all their other great points, this was one of the sillier ideas).

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I've heard a bit of a crazy fan theory which sort of explains how Rey can and possibly cannot be a Skywalker at the same time.

It's basically that Rey is a female clone of Luke, and the genetic material? Luke's lost hand, probably obtained the same way the old lightsaber was found (Which eventually found it's way to Maz).

Of course this all sounds a lot like the Luuke Skywalker character from the Zahn books (For all their other great points, this was one of the sillier ideas).

Great theory other than I believe current canon says clones can't use the Force even if the OG host could.

But movie canon will override books/comics.

Gonna be a fun ride!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The teaser generated zero hype from me. Last Jedi killed any enthusiasm I could have for Star Wars movies. I'll give it a hate watch it hits Disney+

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's been around since the prequels.
    But people forget how that fighting style fell out of favor in the aftermath of The Force Awakens. It was called hokey and the fanboys were falling all over themselves championing the more realistic fighting style seen in the new trilogy and now JJ has Rey running and backflipping into the path of a moving tie fighter.

Those are force feats that would be right at home in the prequels. I have to hand it to JJ, he managed to do the impossible. He managed to kill my interest in Star Trek and Star Wars, but at least when it comes to Star Wars he keeps it interesting

And apparently a thousand generations live in Rey now. So I guess that makes her some kind of....Avatar: The Jedi Bender!
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But people forget how that fighting style fell out of favor in the aftermath of The Force Awakens. It was called hokey and the fanboys were falling all over themselves championing the more realistic fighting style seen in the new trilogy and now JJ has Rey running and backflipping into the path of a moving tie fighter.
    Something tells me that's a training sequence with Poe. But ... gotta love Star Wars fans. Pillars of consistency.

Something tells me that's a training sequence with Poe. But ... gotta love Star Wars fans. Pillars of consistency.
    Rey...train? BWAAAAAAHAHAHA! Why start now? To be fair Kylo didn't train either, TFA said he would but TLJ didn't make him. Hopefully the movie keeps Rey's training off screen and tells us it happened during the gap between TLJ and TROS.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-12-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Looks promising. Could be Rey is a Skywalker and Abrams is ignoring the TLJ or that TLJ was a misdirect on that. Although it is equally likely that "The Rise of Skywalker" is a bit of a misdirect as to what it means. Definitely Rey gets to kick butt and presumably Luke will effectively be playing Obi-Wan as a Force ghost.
    Power with Girl is better.

And, now that we have a title, the online battles will begin in including the reviews by people on youtube before they even see the movie.

But the only real question is: Will Endgame or Rise of Skywalker be the biggest movie that comes out this year and how much over a billion will each make?
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

I want to be hyped for this. But I'm not, at all. I really don't like TFA. I loved TLJ. It's a flawed movie, deeply in many respects. But it's beautifully shot, and it actually has something meaningful to say. It also has the single most beautifully eloquent statement on the difference between the light and the dark sides that has ever been put forward in the franchise so far.

This, however, feels a lot like TFA. Not really surprising, with Abrams back. We have rehash after rehash. Desert planet. Speeder chase. The Death Star. And even the Emperor. It feels like we're getting another "Original Trilogy Greatest Hits" number just like his last outing. Ugh.

Though this is only the first teaser. Perhaps it only feels similar because of how alike this teaser was to the first TFA teaser. Maybe Abrams has more up his sleeve than just undoing everything interesting about TLJ and going for a hokey, nostalgia trip rehash of better men's work. But right this second, I have a hard time keeping optimistic on that front.

I'm invested in these characters. The Last Jedi even made me interested in Rey and Kylo, which I would never have guessed after The Force Awakens (blandly). Here's hoping their big finish can be something to be excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And, now that we have a title, the online battles will begin in including the reviews by people on youtube before they even see the movie.

But the only real question is: Will Endgame or Rise of Skywalker be the biggest movie that comes out this year and how much over a billion will each make?
    Endgame. I expect by quite a bit. Just look at Infinity War to The Last Jedi. Either way, the Mouse makes bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Great theory other than I believe current canon says clones can't use the Force even if the OG host could.

But movie canon will override books/comics.

Gonna be a fun ride!
    I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has tried to clone force users in canon. I know legends did it a few times but the clones always seemed to end up having some kind of defect.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

I think Endgame will be the hit movie. In fact I estimate it will make 4 billion or more.

Fantastic Member

Just saw the Episode 9 teaser trailer & am extremely impressed. Though I'm not a ST fan per se (the post-ROTJ timeline is my least favorite time period in the Saga), I have been watching these films - and am looking forward to this last one.

Nice to see:

-That cool new TIE sand skimmer?! vehicle.

-Lando & Chewie at the helm of the Falcon. Now that Han is dead, I can't think of anyone else more appropriate as Chewie's co-pilot; it's an homage to the scene at the very end of ESB, when Lando & Chewie want off to rescue Han from JTH.

- The scene with Kylo fighting someone in a forest, at night. I truly hope that Kylo Ren does not turn to the "light" side, like Anakin did in ROTJ. IMHO he is beyond redemption, if only because he killed his father.

-However, most intriguing is...the laugh by The Emperor?! at the very end of the teaser. I always thought it would be cool if he returned in the ST; he's definitely the SW Saga's most evil, horrific villain. Though he was supposedly killed?! at the end of ROTJ by being thrown down the reactor shaft, I always wondered if he was able to somehow cheat death. In the excellent Dark Empire I & II comic book series by Dark Horse comics (early '90's), the Emperor came back via a series of young clone bodies. If the Emperor is really back (and that laugh wasn't just misdirection), I hope they don't come up with this same clone explanation (because it's already been done in the comics), but something more nebulous....

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Just saw the Episode 9 teaser trailer & am extremely impressed. Though I'm not a ST fan per se (the post-ROTJ timeline is my least favorite time period in the Saga), I have been watching these films - and am looking forward to this last one.

Nice to see:

-That cool new TIE sand skimmer?! vehicle.

-Lando & Chewie at the helm of the Falcon. Now that Han is dead, I can't think of anyone else more appropriate as Chewie's co-pilot; it's an homage to the scene at the very end of ESB, when Lando & Chewie want off to rescue Han from JTH.

- The scene with Kylo fighting someone in a forest, at night. I truly hope that Kylo Ren does not turn to the "light" side, like Anakin did in ROTJ. IMHO he is beyond redemption, if only because he killed his father.

-However, most intriguing is...the laugh by The Emperor?! at the very end of the teaser. I always thought it would be cool if he returned in the ST; he's definitely the SW Saga's most evil, horrific villain. Though he was supposedly killed?! at the end of ROTJ by being thrown down the reactor shaft, I always wondered if he was able to somehow cheat death. In the excellent Dark Empire I & II comic book series by Dark Horse comics (early '90's), the Emperor came back via a series of young clone bodies. If the Emperor is really back (and that laugh wasn't just misdirection), I hope they don't come up with this same clone explanation (because it's already been done in the comics), but something more nebulous....
    The Jedi come back as force ghosts all the time, I don't see any reason why the Sith can't do something similar.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The Jedi come back as force ghosts all the time, I don't see any reason why the Sith can't do something similar.
    In previous canon, Force ghosts were established as a Light Side-only ability (and even then, only Light Siders with the requisite knowledge), just as Force Lightning was supposedly a Dark Side-only ability. We saw Yoda call down Force Lightning in THE LAST JEDI, however, so perhaps all the old rules are out the window.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014