Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    So what's the story with He-Man??? (I don't have netflix anymore)

I heard it's out you tube so I clicked He Man for this week, hoping to see the trailer, and instead I get an endless list of people critiquing it as horrible.

"They say it's a woke version of He-Man? He's hardly in it, and Teela is the star, and all the men play subordinate roles? and that she has man shoulders lol.

Is this true or are these people just middle aged fans having a fit and over exaggerating???
    - Ninety Percent What Is In Blue...
    - Ten Percent "This Is Solid Even If It Is Not 'Classic Coke' MOTU..."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Lol, I'll take your word for it, maybe I'll renew my netflix account, and check it out for myself, as I love both the classic and early 2000's version.

Here's the endless list of criticism of the show you get, when you youtube He Man for this week....crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...IIAw%253D%253D

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Lol, I'll take your word for it, maybe I'll renew my netflix account, and check it out for myself, as I love both the classic and early 2000's version.

Here's the endless list of criticism of the show you get, when you youtube He Man for this week....crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...IIAw%253D%253D
    One guy's take...

If you can hang with it will probably hinge on if you can hang with the show covering some possibilities that none of the shows thus far(well, to the best of my knowledge..) have.

Well... and if you can give it a chance as a whole.

I thought it was completely solid, and gave a few characters a legitimate moment in the sun.

As for that "Criticism..."?

The less said, the better.

It's a lot of trying to sell folks on that their molehill is a pretty solid mountain that you should seriously consider taking a look at.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    lol, why would you lie to Captain Nostalgia like that? Why couldn't you just say that among the things he listed, it's true that He-Man doesn't appear much, that Teela plays the lead in this first batch of episodes, and that she is drawn as less feminine than the classic cartoon.

The whole exchange between numberthirty and Captain Nostalgia is a microcosm of the problem. If Netflix and Smith hadn't false-advertised, they would've ended up with fewer angry viewers. It's poor expectations management.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I plan on watching it, but I do have to ask………..

How bad is Teela? I don’t mind her being a lead here (a bit annoyed He-Man is apparently killed off, but I’ll still judge the show for what it is), but I’d like to know beforehand. I’ve been spoiled that she gets told the truth and than just up and leaves to become a mercenary (essentially abandoning her allies/friends/father) because she got her feelings hurt/feels betrayed. But like, that happens right after Adam just died? Really?

Or is her reaction just blown out of proportion by some fans?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

According to this we're in for a big He-Man and Skelegod fight. I'll wait for the other episodes to air before forming a complete opinion but at the moment I can see why some feel the way they do.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThatKevin...god-battles%2F
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post

How bad is Teela? I don’t mind her being a lead here (a bit annoyed He-Man is apparently killed off, but I’ll still judge the show for what it is), but I’d like to know beforehand. I’ve been spoiled that she gets told the truth and than just up and leaves to become a mercenary (essentially abandoning her allies/friends/father) because she got her feelings hurt/feels betrayed. But like, that happens right after Adam just died? Really?

My take was she was having difficulty processing her grief.
    He-man's dead, who was also Adam so he's also dead, and they've all been lying to me and now my dads being exiled... just #@$% all of this.
    She was a little off putting at points but I don't think she was that bad.
    Skeletor was also dead, and the power of Greyskull gone, so it's not like there was any pressing concern anymore.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-27-2021 at 05:56 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    and that she is drawn as less feminine than the classic cartoon.
    Why is this an issue? Is your view of quality dependent on if you find a fictional character attractive? Her appearance has zero to do with the plot or story.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I found her to be insufferable. Adam died saving her and she acts like she was victimized by that when she speaks with him again. It also makes her anti magic for some bizarre reason. She consistently puts her feelings over bigger issues and it was annoying to watch.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Why is this an issue? Is your view of quality dependent on if you find a fictional character attractive? Her appearance has zero to do with the plot or story.
    This makes me bristle as well. Because they made Teela....a warrior...earned the rank of Man-at-Arms....because she's got some guns on her, that suddenly that makes her not feminine? Like....because people can't fap to a cartoon character its suddenly an issue. It's right up there with people taking issue with Lola Bunny's redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I found her to be insufferable. Adam died saving her and she acts like she was victimized by that when she speaks with him again. It also makes her anti magic for some bizarre reason. She consistently puts her feelings over bigger issues and it was annoying to watch.
    On this I agree on some levels thinking back on it. I wish they didn't have her take SUCH a hard left on everyone like she did and that given this takes place after a time jump that she would have been more understanding of the circumstances. But it is what it is.

I found Sarah Michelle Gellar's voice the most annoying part of Teela. I don't think it helped Teela much with the character she had to be done by someone with a whiny ass voice.
    Last edited by KabutoRyder; 07-27-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I finally watched the 5 episodes of Masters of the Universe: Revelation
    You will note He-Man is NOT, NOT in the title. Therefore it is allowing for a broader focal point, at any time, about any of the MASTERS. Of which He-Man is one, the dominant one, but it is not technically a show dedicated to him.

Spot read some of these pages, seen some Twitter and FB threads. While I get we all want He-Man and are promised more He-Man it is clear there are some folks who never fully went through Jean Paul Valley as Batman, Eradicator&Steel as Superman stand-ins, Artemis as Wonder Woman, Ben Reilly as Spider-man or any of the Captain America replacements till Steve came back. Heck these same folks are probably still caring hatred for Rodimus Prime. He-Man will return you dolts.

I enjoyed what I saw. I'm more miffed that seemingly Orko, Roboto and Moss Man are dead. Roboto should be repairable by Duncan/Man-at-Arms I'd think. Moss Man should be neigh impossible to fully kill. His essence should have a backup in the "green" at nearly all times. King Randor was a real moron. Your own Queen knew and I don't see you abandoning her. Hey Teela, do you feel any better knowing the King also didn't know....maybe it wasn't as personal as you're taking it. Episode 4 being in Masters Heaven was fun cause we got Greyskull, He-Ro and other former Champions.

I found the comedy in having Tri-Klops as this cult leader for a Computer God as he spouts of Motherboard and Diode to be chuckle worthy! So Teela's staff can mechanically, not magically, become just about whatever gadget/tool she needs in any moment?? Bit convenient is it not?
    The character I found most intriguing and it surprised me was Evil-Lyn. Lyn, like the other Skeletor accolytes, seem to have moved on without him and some like Mer-Man, Tri-Klops and Lynn herself moved on. If she is to be believed she initially had aspirations of being a "Master" but the gravitas of Skeletor led her astray. She also seems genuinely surprised at his return and Skeletor admits keeping his plan from her of sending his essence into her Staff Orb.

Now....when are the next batch of episodes....need to see how badly Adam is hurt.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Well, I'm answering Captain Nostalgia's question from above. He listed like five things he was wondering about and specifically asked about Teela's looks, and instead of giving false advertising, I gave the truth that she was drawn as less feminine than the classic versions. (Note: I actually softened the language, as he asked about "man shoulders.")

But if you're asking me my own opinion, then yes, I do enjoy fan service and cheesecake in my entertainment. I like to watch attractive, masculine men and attractive, feminine women in my entertainment, and I'd venture to guess 90% of the world is like that. But it's not the most important thing, as I have to like the story.

How bad is Teela?
    I don’t mind her being a lead here (a bit annoyed He-Man is apparently killed off, but I’ll still judge the show for what it is), but I’d like to know beforehand. I’ve been spoiled that she gets told the truth and than just up and leaves to become a mercenary (essentially abandoning her allies/friends/father) because she got her feelings hurt/feels betrayed. But like, that happens right after Adam just died? Really?
    The spoiler you were given is pretty much what happens.

Whether Teela was processing grief over Adam's death as another poster suggested, that is left up to the viewer to decide.

But if you're asking me my own opinion, then yes, I do enjoy fan service and cheesecake in my entertainment. I like to watch attractive, masculine men and attractive, feminine women in my entertainment, and I'd venture to guess 90% of the world is like that.
    Attractiveness is subjective. If you get turned away because a cartoon character has a short haircut, you've got bigger issues.

Also looking for fan service in a children's cartoon is pretty messed up.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Ultimate Member

Well, I'm answering Captain Nostalgia's question from above. He listed like five things he was wondering about and specifically asked about Teela's looks, and instead of giving false advertising, I gave the truth that she was drawn as less feminine than the classic versions. (Note: I actually softened the language, as he asked about "man shoulders.")

But if you're asking me my own opinion, then yes, I do enjoy fan service and cheesecake in my entertainment. I like to watch attractive, masculine men and attractive, feminine women in my entertainment, and I'd venture to guess 90% of the world is like that. But it's not the most important thing, as I have to like the story.

The spoiler you were given is pretty much what happens.

Whether Teela was processing grief over Adam's death as another poster suggested, that is left up to the viewer to decide.
    In a kids show, I seriously doubt that.

My children literally don't care about stuff like that. That's probably why shows like Steven Universe and Teen Titans Go are as popular as they are.