Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Fabian Nicieza!!!

X-Factor Annual #7 1992

In a Nutshell
    X-Factor tries to stop Spiral from killing Arize

Writer: Fabian Nicieza http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....abian_nicieza/
    Penciler: Joe Quesada,
    Inker: Joe Rubinstein,
    Letterer: Richard Starkings,
    Colorist: Kevin Tinsely,
    Editor: Bob Harras
    Editor-in-Chief: Tom DeFalco

Plot
    Enraged that the pirate network led by Mojo II is beating him in the ratings, Mojo resolves to convince Spiral to kill Arize for him. On Earth, Val Cooper briefs X-Factor on their latest mission: to bring in Spiral, who has been causing trouble, a mission that means more than most to Val since Spiral was once a member of Freedom Force. They track her to South Dakota, where Spiral has in turn located Arize, and interrupt her efforts to kill him. During the course of their fight, Spiral explains that she was once Ricochet Rita,

and she wants to kill Arize because he's destined to transform Rita into Spiral. Arize admits as much, as well as the fact that the sorry state of Mojoworld is his fault. He asks Spiral to bring them both back to Mojoworld, so they can begin to make amends, and Spiral agrees.

Firsts and Other Notables
    Hinted at previously, this issue confirms that Spiral is the future form of Ricochet Rita, the stuntwoman whom Longshot befriended in his limited series and which accompanied him back to Mojoworld (the idea being that down the road, Mojo had a captive Rita transformed into Spiral, then sent her back in time to battle Longshot and her younger self).

The story ends in an echo of the conclusion to that miniseries, with Arize and Spiral resolving to return to Mojoworld and makes things right, thus (sort of) setting up the conclusion to the story in X-Force Annual #1. Shatterstar's role in that process is also teased, another setup for the next chapter. It's also hinted pretty strongly that Gaveedra-7 the ORIGINAL Shatterstar is the child of Longshot & Dazzler,

something Nicieza has said wasn't his intent, but, I mean, it's pretty blatant in this issue (even before we get to the Shatterstar "gag" at the end of X-Men #11).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    New Mutants Annual # 2 depicted Betsy Braddock becoming the unwitting pawn of Mojo and Spiral.

Long story short: Betsy had just recently been blinded by the assassin Slaymaster. While struggling to deal with her new situation, she was abducted by Mojo who outfitted her with bionic eye implants that also served as cameras that allowed everyone in the Mojoverse to look through her eyes in real time.

In retrospect, this single story idea makes Claremont responsible for the world's first ever reality tv show. But this being Big Mojo rather than Big Brother, the producer needed a little more excitement and decided to stir up some mischief for ratings through the medium he knows best: the airwaves.

Those bionic eyes are creepy and they will haunt Betsy for years to come.

Guess what happens when the New Mutants manage to free Betsy's mind...

Spiral making a case for slavery... "Sure, there's no freedom but at least you'll still have eyes." Betsy doesn't buy into this 'generous' offer and forcibly removes Spiral from her mind.

http://talesfromthekryptonian.blogsp...-sword-is.html
    http://happybday.to/Alan-Davis
    Was this stuff ever collected into a TP?

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Ann "Annie" Nocenti!!!

"Mojo often made fun of Spiral's feelings for Longshot, including here from Longshot #6"

Artist: Art Adams Writer: Ann Nocenti http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....y_ann_nocenti/

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I'm a bit late to Nocenti's birthday (I sent her my congrats in private, though). A little tribute, this photo with Danny Crespi (1982).

Best wishes to you, Annie, forever and ever! Although it was Art Adams who first visually created Spiral, you breathed (sad) life into this utterly bitter and twisted creature.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I always feel like the fact that Ricochet Rita was designed to look like Ann Nocenti makes the whole thing possibly even sadder. What a tragic figure.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

'Tragic' is the word, indeed. For Spiral (setting aside the fact that years later they came up with that stuff about she being RR), a former rebel turned into a hound dog for her former enemy (much as Rachel). And for Rita, as a stranger who gets mixed up in all this insanity, kidnapped and tortured and virtually wiped off existence --although once she was recovered, she chose to venture into the lion's den. Because 'That's what makes it fun'. And because she was in love.

Certainly, I don't know how Annie felt while she was watching her own face going through all of those dreadful experiences :P .

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Andy Kubert!!!

X-Men #32 May 1994
    Spiral puts the X-Men on the track of unraveling the full mystery of Psylocke and Revanche.

Script by Fabian Nicieza, pencils by Andy Kubert & inks by Matt Ryan.
    https://howold.co/andy-kubert
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....y_andy_kubert/

BANNED

Wolverine #51 Feb 1992
    The Crunch Conundrum: Part 1 of 3 - "Heartbreak Motel!"
    After a night out on the town, Logan winds up back at a seedy motel with none other than Marvel Girl!

But when Marvel Girl turns out to be the shape-shifting mutant Mystique, Logan barely bats an eye.

Suddenly their rendezvous is interrupted when the six-armed Spiral crashes the party!

Written by Larry Hama. Art by Andy Kubert and Dan Green.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Marc Silvestri!!!

Wolverine #52 Mar 1992
    The Crunch Conundrum: Part 2 of 3 - "Citadel at the End of Time!"
    Mojo has sinister plans for the Crunch,

so Wolverine, Mystique, and Spiral head into the time/space vortex to stop the spineless villain.

Written by Larry Hama. Art by Marc Silvestri http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....arc_silvestri/ and Dan Green.

Happy birthday, Marc!!! You're one of the very best X-artists EVER, one of the two or three supplest pencillers for sure!

In the third panel, I love the way Spiral wields her blades in all directions like a crazy mill, and I love the way Longshot dodges every one without any apparent effort.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Arthur "Art" Adams!!!

Longshot befriends Ricochet Rita, and the pair dazzle the cameras;

In Mojoworld, Mojo talks to his Chamberlain, an android named Major Domo, who oversees Mojo's financial records and relays Mojo's commands to his servants;

Mojo discovers about a dimension where everyone looks just like his slaves and wants to see it,

while Spiral wants to go back and kill Longshot.
    Art by Art Adams http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....day_art_adams/

BANNED

I'd like to see Spiral reform and join the X-Men for awhile, a la Emma Frost.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'd like to see Spiral reform and join the X-Men for awhile, a la Emma Frost.
    Hasn't she kind of been on the road to doing just that? I believe she was involved in Astonishing XMen wasnt she? And certainly she was a team member in one of the more recent X Forces.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    If not in an anime series than I'd like to see the Mojoverse show up in the upcoming Fox Legion TV Show!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    That would be a smart way to introduce it without interfere the X-movieverse. I don't know how it'll be approached Legion in TV, but the real David Haller, as an autistic person, was pretty hung up on the boob tube, so maybe Mojo and Spiral could come up to him through it. His personality disorder certainly would help in drag him to that insane chaos.
    To me this would be a terrific way to introduce the live action appearances of Mojo and Spiral on season 2 of the Fox Legion TV Show!

Spiral made number 7 in the Temporary X-Men Voting Thread

NUMBER 7

With 55 points and once voted as #1

Spiral (Uncanny X-Force)

http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2778714