Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Have the X-men ever met the eternals?
    Yes. They had a crossover during the Matt Fraction X-Men run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I thought this thread was about the fact that, at the same time as Death of Inhumans, spoilers:
    Jason Aaron killed off the Eternals
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Cape View Post
    So bummed that the Eternals are out of the picture now...
    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    There is no need to be worried about the Eternals.
    Right. In fact, their "death" is what sparked this thread in the first place. Considering there is a movie in the works, it seemed odd than the marvel honchos just authorized the dead of a (honestly) minor characters to be killed. So this death seems more like a tabula rasa to relauch the franchise and updating the characters, like it was done with inhumans and everything than came after Infinity and Inhumanity, than was the excuse to relauch the Inhumans as a profitable multimedia franchise. Avengers 4 I suspect is the first step to relauch the characters. But instead a big event,they are using the regular series to present (again) the characters.

Also the eternals are used to "die" and ressurrect. In the Gaiman series, Ikaris died and resurrected without too much trauma. And there he was reduced to atoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don't like that they are partially based on the greek pantheon. kind of takes the air out of the real deal. why didn't they just make Hercules an Eternal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    It's actually quite simple: Originally, the Eternals comics weren't canon to the Marvel U. They were retconned in later by Roy Thomas.
    Exactly. Kirby never conceived the Eternals to share adventures with the main Marvel universe, but to work in their own reality. Roy Thomas was the one who introduced them to the prime universe, because he liked the Celestials idea vs Thor, something, I read, Kirby didn't like at all. The contradictions with the existence of the greek gods and others pantheons has been a difficult point to explain but most writers simply choice not to use the eternals at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    But I'm a bit worried about the Eternals as we know them.

There is a possibility that they are definitely dead and will be replaced by All New Eternals tailor-made for the MCU.
    Meaning what, exactly?
    The point of this thread in fact. If the eternals are going to be used, it is possible than many changes will be done to adapt them to the MCU and how these changes will be adopted by the comic characters. Because these changes will be adapted. Just look how even having being a failure, the Inhumans series affected the comics by making Black Bolt communicating by hand language. And don't forget the changes in Starlord, Iron-Man, Scarlet Witch quicksilver and so many more.
    For example: hypotetically, what if the director of the Eternals movie would like to include Hercules in the lineup and makes him an eternal too? After all Hercules is a popular Marvel character and the Eternals are inspired in the greek mythology (among others).Would be logical inside the MCU context. But what if in the comics, following this use, they choice to retcon Hercules into an Eternal? That is the kind of choices than could happen.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 07-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    It's actually quite simple: Originally, the Eternals comics weren't canon to the Marvel U. They were retconned in later by Roy Thomas.
    That was dumb Roy. The olympians now have to share space with the eternals and that pantheon group that was introduced in Hulk's title. Imagine if they introduced a new race of characters who were a derivation of the Asgardians.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    spoilers:
    Jason Aaron killed off the Eternals
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, Gaiman established that Eternals keep dying and being reborn over and over again.
    end of spoilers
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    spoilers:
    Well, Gaiman established that Eternals keep dying and being reborn over and over again.
    end of spoilers
    Exactly. Also, somebody saw Sersi around?
    spoilers:
    Was she among the defuncted eternals? If she is not around the fallen, maybe she will start her own search for her people. I have read than she will be the main character of the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Still I just hope than Marvel is not going on the route of Sersi searching for a "new" batch of just born Eternals. They tried this with inhumans and failed.

Marvel can't make the same mistake twice in a row, right?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Well with the Eternals I suspect the movie will be much closer to the comics, whereas with the Inhumans they were blatantly trying to make mutant-like characters for the benefit of the MCU. With Marvel most likely having the X-Men again soon, there's no need to try that with the Eternals.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Well with the Eternals I suspect the movie will be much closer to the comics, whereas with the Inhumans they were blatantly trying to make mutant-like characters for the benefit of the MCU. With Marvel most likely having the X-Men again soon, there's no need to try that with the Eternals.
    People like the X-Men for their characters and stories. The Inhumans were never meant to replace characters like Wolverine and Phoenix. They were already known to be a species that fought against humans who attacked them many times. They didn't try to make them mutant-like, they've always been mutant-like. If they would have made an Inhumans movie, I'm sure it would have been about Attilan and the Avengers. Nuhuman stories aren't like the Legacy virus, House of M, the Dark Phoenix Saga, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Right. In fact, their "death" is what sparked this thread in the first place. Considering there is a movie in the works, it seemed odd than the marvel honchos just authorized the dead of a (honestly) minor characters to be killed. So this death seems more like a tabula rasa to relauch the franchise and updating the characters, like it was done with inhumans and everything than came after Infinity and Inhumanity, than was the excuse to relauch the Inhumans as a profitable multimedia franchise. Avengers 4 I suspect is the first step to relauch the characters. But instead a big event,they are using the regular series to present (again) the characters.

Also the eternals are used to "die" and ressurrect. In the Gaiman series, Ikaris died and resurrected without too much trauma. And there he was reduced to atoms.

Exactly. Kirby never conceived the Eternals to share adventures with the main Marvel universe, but to work in their own reality. Roy Thomas was the one who introduced them to the prime universe, because he liked the Celestials idea vs Thor, something, I read, Kirby didn't like at all. The contradictions with the existence of the greek gods and others pantheons has been a difficult point to explain but most writers simply choice not to use the eternals at all.

The point of this thread in fact. If the eternals are going to be used, it is possible than many changes will be done to adapt them to the MCU and how these changes will be adopted by the comic characters. Because these changes will be adapted. Just look how even having being a failure, the Inhumans series affected the comics by making Black Bolt communicating by hand language. And don't forget the changes in Starlord, Iron-Man, Scarlet Witch quicksilver and so many more.
    For example: hypotetically, what if the director of the Eternals movie would like to include Hercules in the lineup and makes him an eternal too? After all Hercules is a popular Marvel character and the Eternals are inspired in the greek mythology (among others).Would be logical inside the MCU context. But what if in the comics, following this use, they choice to retcon Hercules into an Eternal? That is the kind of choices than could happen.
    It might help the eternals more than it would hercules. I seem to remember hercules and sersei on the avengers at the sane time, but don’t remember their interactions. Has hercules ever battled ikaris?

That was dumb Roy. The olympians now have to share space with the eternals and that pantheon group that was introduced in Hulk's title. Imagine if they introduced a new race of characters who were a derivation of the Asgardians.
    Except the pantheon hasn’t been used in years, and i don’t think There are many left. With respect to peter david, maybe the pantheon should merge with the eternals or olympians.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They didn't try to make them mutant-like, they've always been mutant-like.
    They clearly were. The NuHumans were a blatant attempt at that. But that's not what this thread is about.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I don't like that they are partially based on the greek pantheon. kind of takes the air out of the real deal. why didn't they just make Hercules an Eternal?
    Technically, not just the Greek pantheon, but all pantheons. The Eternals -- and their cousins the Deviants -- were thought to be either the actual gods themselves, or were in fact the individuals whose deeds were credited to gods by mistake. To your point, the confusion may be annoying, but it's no different than what we see with the Asgardians. For the longest time there was a discussion as to whether Odin, Thor, Loki, etc., were the actual Norse Gods, or just immigrants who came in and appropriated their mythological namesakes and origins.

The Eternals existing in the MCU would actually be fairly consistent with the debate across the Thor films about whether the Asgardians are really celestial beings or just super advanced aliens.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The point is the parallels made me think if there is a risk of the Eternals to be confused with the inhumans in some level. Now than Marvel is working in an adaptation of Eternals for the MCU and I wonder if there could be characteristics than are going to be changed to make look the eternals the less similar to the inhumans possible and how that could be reflected in the comics. Because I thought than the regular moviegoer or anyone who has seen the Inhumans live-action series could easily believe than the eternals are the same has the inhumans. And after the less than spectacular performance of the series, it would be understable for Marvel to transform some elements of the Eternals. Also, it should be noted than the inhumans had a more continued presence in other media than the Eternals. A minor detail, but yet the inhumans are the ones more stablished as the "secret society of superhumans", with several appearances in cartoons and games.

Comic readers can pin the differences easly, but do you think than Marvel willl make changes to the eternals franchise to differenciate them more from the inhumans? Should do it?
    Or just work in the eternals franchise without worring about them being associated with the failed inhumans franchise?
    I'd like to think that the viewing public is smart enough to tell the difference between Inhumans and Eternals. Look no further than their origins. At least to my mind anyway, there is a world of difference when you say an existing tribe of early man was experimented on by another mortal, albeit highly advanced alien race as a reflection of their military industrial complex to produce the Inhumans on one hand, while on the other you have immortal beings called Celestials, created by the cosmos (much in the same way that angels were supposedly created by the heavens), who experimented on an anthropomorphic species of pre-mankind to determine evolutionary progressive sustainability and worthiness. And if that's not clear enough, well, you double down and tell them that the Eternals of Earth by virtue of their own endeavors, unwittingly unlocked the key to cosmic energy, which courses through all of them making them more like the mythological gods AND their own creators. If after all of that they're still confused, just point to Thanos and tell them that he's an Eternal. Everyone by now knows who he is. (I doubt you can find anyone in the general public who knows anything about Maximus, Medusa, Agon, Karnak, Triton, Lockjaw or even Black Bolt. I don't care how many TV series they get.)
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Ultimate Member

Except the pantheon hasn’t been used in years, and i don’t think There are many left. With respect to peter david, maybe the pantheon should merge with the eternals or olympians.
    ...why?

It makes perfect sense that some Asgardians would bang some humans.

They're not hard to explain by any measure, to the point I'm shocked they haven't been used in Agents of Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...why?

It makes perfect sense that some Asgardians would bang some humans.

They're not hard to explain by any measure, to the point I'm shocked they haven't been used in Agents of Shield.
    Because then at least, they might be used.