Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Creator's Pet

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    That's just your opinion. I like Thanos because he's a cosmic philosopher and magnificent bastard schemer with a few genuine sympathetic moments and a compelling arc from angsty self-deception to clarity.
    Thanos likes to talk about how deep and philosophical he is but, under Starlin at least, he just keeps doing the same things over and over again. he comes off more as all talk than being actually deep.

What Thanks needs Is a writer that remembers that he's smarter than Angry Mongul. If you are mandated to write the character as straight up badguy at least write Thanos with Dr. Doom level complexity.
    What Thanos needs is an editor that's willing to slap Starlin's hands away anytime he tries to retcon every Thanoa appearance he didn't write and then write another "Thanos gets the ultimate whatzit and becomes the most powerful thing in existence" story.

Cosmic haters like you gonna hate. I'll just ignore discussions like this from this point on.
    Because anyone that disagrees with you is a "hater". That's a real mature attitude to take.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Thanos likes to talk about how deep and philosophical he is but, under Starlin at least, he just keeps doing the same things over and over again. he comes off more as all talk than being actually deep.

What Thanos needs is an editor that's willing to slap Starlin's hands away anytime he tries to retcon every Thanoa appearance he didn't write and then write another "Thanos gets the ultimate whatzit and becomes the most powerful thing in existence" story.

Because anyone that disagrees with you is a "hater". That's a real mature attitude to take.
    Most other writers just write Thanos as a one dimensional brute bad guy with unclear motives. That's the main problem we Thanos fans have.

And really the only retcon Starlin did was Infinity Abyss with the Thanosi.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Hulk's done all that before though. Particularly the Hulkbuster stuff. Prior to the movies I can't think of the Hulkbuster ever getting a win on Hulk.

Same with beating up teams of heroes. Hulk's always been a team wrecker, he's the original Avengers level threat after all.

As for Strange, Hulk takes him out with trickery, it's made pretty clear prior to getting his hands broken that Strange represents a threat Hulk can't brute force his way through.

Honestly, I'd flip it around and say that since the Bendis Era began there's been a real big focus on street levelers over powerhouses. Maybe a Creator's Breed as opposed to a creator's pet.

To the point that a powerhouse character being a powerhouse, as opposed to jobbing out is seen as favoritism.
    You are right, Hulk is certainly the first Avengers level threat and he certainly always thrashed the Hulkbuster whether it's brand new or old. But, I still think Dr. Strange thing is PIS (Plot Induced Stupidity) this is Stephen Strange for god sake, he is as sly as a fox that he trick nearly all of OP gods in Marvel universe for contracts. But, I think you are also right that there is a focus on street leveler during that era over powerhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    You are right, Hulk is certainly the first Avengers level threat and he certainly always thrashed the Hulkbuster whether it's brand new or old. But, I still think Dr. Strange thing is PIS (Plot Induced Stupidity) this is Stephen Strange for god sake, he is as sly as a fox that he trick nearly all of OP gods in Marvel universe for contracts. But, I think you are also right that there is a focus on street leveler during that era over powerhouses.
    Strange's mistake was in assuming Hulk and Banner were opposed, or at least that Banner wasn't actively helping Hulk.

The last thing he expected was for Banner and Hulk to pull a joint con on him, exploiting their Defender's era friendship.

BANNED

Strange's mistake was in assuming Hulk and Banner were opposed, or at least that Banner wasn't actively helping Hulk.

The last thing he expected was for Banner and Hulk to pull a joint con on him, exploiting their Defender's era friendship.
    Well, now that because I read the WWH again I think you are right and that certainly makes sense. Banner, when written by Greg Pak, is a really frightening man that he is as dangerous as one of the smartest people in Marvel Universe and when he pull a trick together with Hulk, I can see what you mean happening. Kudos to you man you read it right.

Well, now that because I read the WWH again I think you are right and that certainly makes sense. Banner, when written by Greg Pak, is a really frightening man that he is as dangerous as one of the smartest people in Marvel Universe and when he pull a trick together with Hulk, I can see what you mean happening. Kudos to you man you read it right.
    No need for so much sarcasm. Hulk exploited Strange's compassion to get a crippling shot in. Strange let his guard down, if he hadn't he could of stopped Hulk than and there. It's less about winning a battle of wisdom than being a manipulative dick on Hulk's part.

Also people keep saying World War Hulk shows Hulk as always right and infallible, but it's pretty much revealed that the entire debacle is his fault. While the Illuminati were wrong to **** up his life in a bod to banish him, if Hulk had actually given Miek the guidance he needed rather than telling him a bunch of Edgelord **** that he didn't really believe, because he was being pissy about being banished Hulk would be on Sakaar ruling with his wife and twin sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember when they brought Pete to X-force and they had the team talking about how he was the one that had really showed them they could be "something more".

Keep in mind, between being X-force and New mutants the team had been around for about 200 issues and had been led by Cable, Xavier, and Magneto at various points, but no. Wisdom was the one who really gave them direction.

I hate that run of X-force sooo much.
    He showed them how spies saw the world. All the stuff they were missing. That was the point. Not being a better leader and he did show them things that the others didn’t.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

100 percent agreed on Thanos under Starlin. This is one of those things where if Thanos were a woman people would never shut the **** up about how she's totally a Mary Sue.

Astonishing Member

No need for so much sarcasm. Hulk exploited Strange's compassion to get a crippling shot in. Strange let his guard down, if he hadn't he could of stopped Hulk than and there. It's less about winning a battle of wisdom than being a manipulative dick on Hulk's part.
    He did that twice, when neither Strange or Sue should be that gullible while talking to Hulk - they know how dangerous the Hulk is and he was trying to conquer the world at the time. The only reason Hulk stood a chance was because they were in hands reach, when neither needed to be to hurt Hulk.

Also people keep saying World War Hulk shows Hulk as always right and infallible, but it's pretty much revealed that the entire debacle is his fault. While the Illuminati were wrong to **** up his life in a bod to banish him, if Hulk had actually given Miek the guidance he needed rather than telling him a bunch of Edgelord **** that he didn't really believe, because he was being pissy about being banished Hulk would be on Sakaar ruling with his wife and twin sons.
    Except he's continually shown to be right in the narrative, like when Ghost Rider shows up and Xavier offers no resistance. There was a nuanced conversation to be had, but Hulk wasn't in the mood for it - he was right back at being "anyone who wronged me was wrong so they need to be smashed and anyone in the area who looks at me wrong is going to be smashed as well." Green Scar and Banner never truly reflected on why sending Hulk away might be for a good reason or the destruction they were causing were an over reaction. He may have held back in then end rather than kill the Illuminati but it falls short since he wasn't pranking them, he took over New York City by force and made them into gladiators over a misunderstanding. Proving them right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    He showed them how spies saw the world. All the stuff they were missing. That was the point. Not being a better leader and he did show them things that the others didn’t.
    I kinda liked the story where Thanos had and lost it all, and retired a farm in the middle of nowhere at the end of it, having two brain cells that rub together and realizing 'well, this ain't working out...' and stepping back and finding a new path.

And then some other peeps wanted to use him, and choo-choo, back to crazy-town! Seemed kind of a waste. He got a good end, and then it was sort of ruined, IMO by dragging him back to factory standard settings and setting him up to fail at the same boring scheme over and over and over again.

BANNED

I'm sorry to offend you on that, but I am really sincere at that and I also agree at WWH's matter right or wrong. You are right. Everything about WWH can be seen as his fault because as you already explained he listened to wrong person and that really makes him a villain there, but Illuminati is also in the wrong, but they did for the necessity that Hulk is as dangerous as he can be. Hulk is in danger format is more dangerous than Thor, because Thor can be reasoned, but Hulk at his angriest can't. The only things that can stop him are people of Thor and Sentry tier of strength, and if we used Reed and Tony logic they won't risk earth on a God or crazy person. So, the best possible answer is to banish him into space. But, the problem is the bomb.

To be honest, if not because of Strange's compassion, he will floor Hulk everyday as even Ghost Rider can thrash him and Zarathos is weaker compared to Vishanti dkk.

I'm sorry to offend you on that, but I am really sincere at that and I also agree at WWH's matter right or wrong. You are right. Everything about WWH can be seen as his fault because as you already explained he listened to wrong person and that really makes him a villain there, but Illuminati is also in the wrong, but they did for the necessity that Hulk is as dangerous as he can be. Hulk is in danger format is more dangerous than Thor, because Thor can be reasoned, but Hulk at his angriest can't. The only things that can stop him are people of Thor and Sentry tier of strength, and if we used Reed and Tony logic they won't risk earth on a God or crazy person. So, the best possible answer is to banish him into space. But, the problem is the bomb.

To be honest, if not because of Strange's compassion, he will floor Hulk everyday as even Ghost Rider can thrash him and Zarathos is weaker compared to Vishanti dkk.
    But is Strange powerful enough to fight against The One Below All!?

Magneto under certain writers such as Claremont.

A case could be made for Emma Frost under Morrison.