Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Detective vibes. I like it.

And this was mentioned previously but as a reminder:

AIPT: You touched on them a bit earlier, but Laura and Gabby kept the Wolverine legacy alive and well while Logan was “dead.” Can we expect to see Logan finally get some quality time with his extended family (and Daken too) in this series?

Benjamin: Stay tuned. To Wolverine. And to X-Force.

Unless he's referencing flashbacks, we'll be seeing Laura fairly soon it seems.

P.S. If this does indeed spin-out into a new book, that'd be dope.
    Yeah, even though May 4th is a Monday, I'm expecting their return to be in a book to come out in the 6th or the announcement of a book about them to be made that week. Patience is the goal, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Bringing back Synch, Darwin and Laura as Wolverine just to send them on a thousand year long mission is pure BS of the highest degree. Things like this is why Marvel needs less white male writers on their writing, editorial and upper management staff.

The thing that bothers me the most isn't how they tone deafly sent the characters. But they arent even focusing on how the three characters feel about being the sacrificial lambs for it but how Cyclops feels about it. It's classic white male storytelling about how we need to focus on how bad the white male must feel about sending these non-white men on a suicidal task rather than putting the focus on where it belongs which is the people making the sacrifice. They literally didnt even have a single panel with any of them expressing any kind of real emotion except having Synch play the token black guy who makes a joke about the situation.

A comparative example would be Hickman's story with the mission to the Mother Mold in the sun. They showed the mission from the team's POV and went over how each of them felt about what was going on. They didn't just have Xavier assign them the mission then say "Months later" and have Xavier talking to Magneto on Earth about 'oh well they should be at the sun now" and Xavier then starts to lament about sending his students on a suicide mission.

Which is another-another problem. They're saying that the parameters of the mission means they may not be able to be properly resurrected so again the people that are PERFECT for this job are two POCs and a female version of Wolverine.

As I said the whole narrative and set-up of this is problematic and wouldn't have happened if they had actual gender and ethnic diversity on their staff.
    Very well put.

the non-white men are seem as expendable, specially female wolverine instead of OG Wolverine.
    Then it is framed only as Scott is concerned and even maybe regretting what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Patience is the goal, for now.
    No problem.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Very well put.

the non-white men are seem as expendable, specially female wolverine instead of OG Wolverine.
    Then it is framed only as Scott is concerned and even maybe regretting what he did.

So would you prefer if Hickman didn't use Synch, Darwin and Laura at all?
    If Cyclops didn't show the least concern for them, would that be better?

For all we know, Synch and Darwin are finally out of limbo and will probably have more stories thanks to this.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-29-2020 at 04:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Thing is, when these characters come out, they should be unrecognisable. When none of them are more than a de facto twenty years old or so going in (actual ages screwed up by death/stasis/cloning/etc) and they spend a thousand years getting SORAS'd, the lived experience should change them into entirely different people.

[Well, Synch and Darwin should be (since Darwin is immortal, and Synch can mimic his power provided they don't get separated for too long), X-23 should just be dead (remembering that she was dying in "Old Woman Laura" of clone degeneration, a mere couple of decades down the line. If we ignore that, she'll still be older than "Old Man Logan" was.)]
    It's going to get reset. Remember that time Rockslide and Glob and Anole got trapped for decades in some AU and Anole came out all Hulked out? Apparently the WRITERS didn't because they're all back to their usual selves and ages with no explanation.

Huh. Well, there's something Daken and Jean-Paul might have in common over in X-Factor: dead and/or missing-and-presumed-dead siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

For all we know, Synch and Darwin are finally out of limbo and will probably have more stories thanks to this.
    Just use the characters with the respect they deserve. That is all I ask

"Well you should be lucky they are used at all" is the most common response to the complaint of non-white/male characters being used as disposable/expendable/interchangable cogs. It's disappointing to see people dismiss a complaint instead of taking time to examine why the complaint has merit.

Maybe I'm crazy but weren't there rumors that this issue could spin-out to a new book? Where did that originate from again? Because the cliffhanger, in my opinion, makes it plausible.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    "Well you should be lucky they are used at all" is the most common response to the complaint of non-white/male characters being used as disposable/expendable/interchangable cogs. It's disappointing to see people dismiss a complaint instead of taking time to examine why the complaint has merit.
    There are many valid reasons to complain and it is true that the X-men of all franchices do little with their many diverse characters but in this case I'm seeing an opportunity for these characters. I'm genuinely excited for what will happen with them, on how changed they will come from this experience.
    In this case I prefer to enjoy them being used on what seems to be a promising storyline.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-29-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy but weren't there rumors that this issue could spin-out to a new book? Where did that originate from again? Because the cliffhanger, in my opinion, makes it plausible.
    A comics journalist on twitter heavily implied this issue would be important and would lead to something. People speculated it might be another spin off book but it could just be a larger story. Either way it sounds like this issue is important and there should be some sort of follow up.

I did think the issue was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    A comics journalist on twitter heavily implied this issue would be important and would lead to something. People speculated it might be another spin off book but it could just be a larger story. Either way it sounds like this issue is important and there should be some sort of follow up.

I did think the issue was really good.
    Thanks, much appreciated! With the news recently coming out that Monet was "unavailable" according to Leah when discussing her X-Factor cast, it would be a dream if somehow she and Ev ended up in a book together.

I agree and it's got me biting my nails. I thought the data page for Synch was super sweet too that I actually aww'd. A true hero who died saving human students.

Ultimate Member

YES. If this is the best you can do-a filler issue that didn't really do them justice-Yes.

You know what this issue says to me-

wait to check out the trade at the library.
    Wait till it hit 25 cent bins.
    Drop from pull list.

Why would I care what Cyclops thinks? This could have been an issue focusing on each one that show clips of Storm and the others being the decoy and them going in.
    That would have been better.

Synch was a lead for a book for 5 years. He has a history with a TON of folks.

I get what you are saying. However history has shown that is not the result.

Who is going to approve those stories? If Storm & Bishop can't get solos or lead stories-what chance does those two have? There are some bigger names folks have been fighting to get books and they have been rejected.

The idea that this was a filler issue, to me, is odd. Hickman doesn't do filler issues. He just gave us the long-awaited return of the Children of the Vault and to me has reinvigorated them as a colossal threat, as said by Charles. I would suggest we wait and see what happens, which for some reason is a most unpopular opinion around here.

This book and X-Force are the standouts of Dawn of X for me (Marauders as a close third.) Such great work.