Page 239 of 669 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 10027
    BANNED

I'm still not a fan of Emma, even having read her during Whedon's run. She just comes across as pompous to me; I have a very hard time actually feeling any 'genuine' emotion from her that isn't self-serving...she gives me bad vibes, basically.

Astonishing Member

I’ve never thought that empowerment (female and otherwise) means characters who represent that demographic should get along and bury the hatchet. Tension is fun in comics and if some characters would rather keep their distances from others due to past transgressions I think it can make for compelling interactions. Which isn’t to say everyone getting along is bad, but I personally like the variety.

As long as the dislike isn’t contrived or becomes a detriment to the overall mission of Krakoa I’m fine without Storm wanting nothing to do with Emma, as I see the potential for rich dialogue and characterization when they do meet up.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-07-2020 at 03:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Still seeing a leap in logic. Jean releasing Cyclops' guilt means that she wants to be Emma's friend? If that's the case then that time she healed Emma's shattered form must mean that Jean secretly wants to date Emma. All the puzzle pieces are falling into place.
    They do fall into place, actually. All kinds of evidence that Jean doesn’t share her fans enmity. Doesn’t mean she wants to date her, but please continue exaggerating in your attempt to delegitimize the point. It’s amusing to watch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’ve never thought that empowerment (female and otherwise) means characters who represent that demographic should get along and bury the hatchet. Tension is fun in comics and if some characters would rather keep their distances from others due to past transgressions I think it can make for compelling interactions. Which isn’t to say everyone getting along is bad, but I personally like the variety. As long as the dislike isn’t contrived or becomes a detriment to the overall mission of Krakoa I’m fine without Storm wanting nothing to do with Emma, as I see the potential for rich dialogue and characterization when they do meet up.
    I agree; any relationship needs tension and the varying degrees of such are interesting to watch. That said, women shouldn't be automatically pitted against each other for the sake of it so, yeah, it is nice to see that being challenged by having the ladies band together. However, past hurts shouldn't just be forgiven at the drop of a hat, even for the sake of a 'cause'--working together, ok, I understand to an extent, but not as far as once incident being enough to feel like you can trust them with your life after what they've done to you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    That's so lame. I like Emma having animosity with others.
    Emma will continue to have conflict with Shaw. She’s also not Storm’s favorite person right now, and that’s meant to come to a head soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    They do fall into place, actually. All kinds of evidence that Jean doesn’t share her fans enmity. Doesn’t mean she wants to date her, but please continue exaggerating in your attempt to delegitimize the point. It’s amusing to watch.
    what? nothing says she want to be friends with Emma. Like i said before she would do it for anyone else. She isn't a murderer or would let a apocalyptic future happen,

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think the only person that Emma ever felt close was Scott Summers. He humanized her. No wonder she had hard time to let him go.
    Scott was really special and the only person she really opened up. Now on Marauders they want to play more Kitty and Emma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yet every time we bring something up from a writer, you insist it must be read another way that always happens to devalue Emma as a person. So what’s the truth? Are writers treating Emma like a walking goddess who gets to step on puppies while befriending every owner or some sort of demon who can’t hold a friendship if all her students’ lives depend on it. Because your two responses don’t match.
    I don't devalue Emma, it was her actions that did that.
    Jean not being friends with Emma doesn't devalue Emma. But Jean being friends with Emma really devalue Jean, Emma was Jean abuser on many situations and never apologized

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Emma will continue to have conflict with Shaw. She’s also not Storm’s favorite person right now, and that’s meant to come to a head soon.
    Agreed, I think that Emma doing everything she can to piss off Shaw will bring some nasty consequences for her but that`s actually a pretty natural conflict to have given their story, same with Storm she has been there to see Emma`s relationship with Scott, she respected that but this doesn`t mean she has to be Emma best friend or even personally like her for them to work as team members.

imo Jean is in the same boat Storm is, she doesn`t mind having Emma as team member and respects the fact that Scott and her really cared about each other, that doesn`t make them friends, just co-workers while Emma still can`t stand her because Scott went back to Jean the moment she alive again but she does respect her as a telepath and what she means for most of the X-men and Scott.The tension born from their mutual understanding is fun to see:

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’ve never thought that empowerment (female and otherwise) means characters who represent that demographic should get along and bury the hatchet. Tension is fun in comics and if some characters would rather keep their distances from others due to past transgressions I think it can make for compelling interactions. Which isn’t to say everyone getting along is bad, but I personally like the variety.

As long as the dislike isn’t contrived or becomes a detriment to the overall mission of Krakoa I’m fine without Storm wanting nothing to do with Emma, as I see the potential for rich dialogue and characterization when they do meet up.
    i think that people often mistake feminist with all women should be friends, even the anti-feminist ones. Like when Ivanka was closing sotresbecauseof low sales of her clothes, some people were like "why feminists aren't supporting her?"; well no one is obligated to buy clothes they don't liked and she never really does things for women.

people can work together even if they don't like each other. normal concept

If you gonna get a character for female empowerment pick one that doesn't body shame, name other women "cow", doesn't destroy other women marriage for Lols, doesnt help other people sexual assault other women.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-07-2020 at 04:04 PM.

BANNED

The point is already delegitimized since you are attempting to argue that stories before Hickman indicate that Jean and Emma wanted to be friends. I just mentioned them dating because people say it has been heavily implied and it's a similar leap in logic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The point is already delegitimized since you are attempting to argue that stories before Hickman indicate that Jean and Emma wanted to be friends. I just mentioned them dating because people say it has been heavily implied and it's a similar leap in logic.
    All I said was them going out for drinks isn’t a stretch. A friendship shouldn’t be either given that Jean clearly found resolution with Emma before she died in Morrison’s run and was mentored by her when she went to the future as a teenager. I could literally draw you a picture, but I’m sure that isn’t necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed, I think that Emma doing everything she can to piss off Shaw will bring some nasty consequences for her but that`s actually a pretty natural conflict to have given their story, same with Storm she has been there to see Emma`s relationship with Scott, she respected that but this doesn`t mean she has to be Emma best friend or even personally like her for them to work as team members.

imo Jean is in the same boat Storm is, she doesn`t mind having Emma as team member and respects the fact that Scott and her really cared about each other, that doesn`t make them friends, just co-workers while Emma still can`t stand her because Scott went back to Jean the moment she alive again but she does respect her as a telepath and what she means for most of the X-men and Scott.The tension born from their mutual understanding is fun to see:

I am so obsessed with this panel and Emma and Jean’s dynamic post-HOX. bitchy sister wives who will kill for each other on the DL...yeah Hickman did that. it’s a fun to read and, considering the sentence I just wrote, shockingly sensible move for them as characters going forwards. Obviously they aren’t going to be perfect besties, There’s animosity and pettiness but a mutual respect bordering on camaraderie that’s so compelling to me. the orgiastic krakoan subtext does not hinder this in the slightest. I get this is probably an unpopular take but I’m begging fans of both/either of them to get. into. this.

All I said was them going out for drinks isn’t a stretch. A friendship shouldn’t be either given that Jean clearly found resolution with Emma before she died in Morrison’s run and was mentored by her when she went to the future as a teenager. I could literally draw you a picture, but I’m sure that isn’t necessary.
    Jean didn't found any resolution on Morrison run about Emma, as that wasn't This Jean and also the decision has nothing to do with Emma.
    Teen Jean also wasn't friends with Emma anymore. If they aren't going to use the pink form, teen Jean shouldn't be used to justify anything.

There isn't any good feeling from Jean towards Emma, and all Morrison run she didn't liked her.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I am so obsessed with this panel and Emma and Jean’s dynamic post-HOX. bitchy sister wives who will kill for each other on the DL...yeah Hickman did that. it’s a fun to read and, considering the sentence I just wrote, shockingly sensible move for them as characters going forwards. Obviously they aren’t going to be perfect besties, There’s animosity and pettiness but a mutual respect bordering on camaraderie that’s so compelling to me. the orgiastic krakoan subtext does not hinder this in the slightest. I get this is probably an unpopular take but I’m begging fans of both/either of them to get. into. this.
    LOL no. that writing is so antiguated.

Wolverine was infinitely more interesting as a character when his past was a myriad mess of implanted memories and half-remembered actual experiences. Like Darth Vader or the Joker, I think the character worked better when you were unsure of his origin.

A little mystery really added to Logan's badass persona, and his inability to separate fact from fiction regarding his own past was a fun concept to read. In my humble opinion, the reader should only ever have been granted fragments of Logan's past, and even at that an aura of uncertainty should have been maintained. A minimalist approach to prequel tales and ensuring Logan remained an unreliable narrator of his own story would have been my preferred way to handle the character.

The character was by no means neutered to the extent that Darth Vader was in the prequels, but I think sometimes it can be beneficial in the long-term if the reader isn't given all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by EndangeredSpecies View Post
    Wolverine was infinitely more interesting as a character when his past was a myriad mess of implanted memories and half-remembered actual experiences. Like Darth Vader or the Joker, I think the character worked better when you were unsure of his origin.

A little mystery really added to Logan's badass persona, and his inability to separate fact from fiction regarding his own past was a fun concept to read. In my humble opinion, the reader should only ever have been granted fragments of Logan's past, and even at that an aura of uncertainty should have been maintained. A minimalist approach to prequel tales and ensuring Logan remained an unreliable narrator of his own story would have been my preferred way to handle the character.

The character was by no means neutered to the extent that Darth Vader was in the prequels, but I think sometimes it can be beneficial in the long-term if the reader isn't given all the answers.
    I don't think this is unpopular...

Lately on fiction writers have a hard on for explaining things that are better off being left to imagination.

Wolverine was better off with not all his origins being revealed. Maybe if it was better written

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean didn't found any resolution on Morrison run about Emma, as that wasn't This Jean and also the decision has nothing to do with Emma.
    Teen Jean also wasn't friends with Emma anymore. If they aren't going to use the pink form, teen Jean shouldn't be used to justify anything.

There isn't any good feeling from Jean towards Emma, and all Morrison run she didn't liked her.

LOL no. that writing is so antiguated.
    I’m curious so I’ll bite: in your mind, what makes the most sense for Jean and Emma in 2020? Jealous teammates? Mortal foes? I sense you want them to harbour negativity towards each other and I feel like this won’t undo the “sins” of past writers, if you will. Where’s the empowerment in that, for either of them? pinned against each other in permanence because of a man between them...if their relationship must be defined by their “shared”(-ish) lover, then I’d rather see an allyship bloom. And I’d rather see the messy complexities of a relationship between messy, complex people under a spotlight than shoved into the unseen space offstage.