Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Wasn't this the first time they teamed up in Spencer's entire 50 issue run? I don't see how having a Spider-Teamup every now and then takes from Spider-Man's independence. I mean, Spider-Man does ocassional teamups all the time. It's been that way since the Stan Lee era.

I like them, actually. I know I am in the minority but I've always enjoyed the idea of similarly powered people in Peter's world. I don't really buy the argument of making Peter any less special - I mean, he already lives in a world where there is hundreds of other heroes and villains. So what does it matter if more people has similar powers and is related to him in certain ways? I think it's an interesting way to expand his corner of the world.

That said, it's rarely done right. But like, conceptually? I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Wasn't this the first time they teamed up in Spencer's entire 50 issue run? I don't see how having a Spider-Teamup every now and then takes from Spider-Man's independence. I mean, Spider-Man does ocassional teamups all the time. It's been that way since the Stan Lee era.
    I think the question becomes how expected a presence they should be in Spider-Man stories.

Like, should they be used? Should they be a part of Peter's life? Does a Spider-Man cartoon need to have three other Spider-Heroes alongside Spider-Man?

Marvel hasn't given me any reason to care about the idea of a Spider-Family since whenever they all team up, nothing really interesting happens in the story itself, the character interactions, and how different they are from each other.

If they ever manage to make it work, I'd be okay with it, after all, Spider-Verse movie was fun, but until that day, assuming it ever happens, I'm indifferent to it.

Although I would prefer that if a Spider-Family ever ends up working, I'll still want Spidey to keep his own solo comic, the civilian part of his life is a big deal after all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the question becomes how expected a presence they should be in Spider-Man stories.

Like, should they be used? Should they be a part of Peter's life? Does a Spider-Man cartoon need to have three other Spider-Heroes alongside Spider-Man?
    Would it be bad if it did?

...When it comes to the main books it depends on who's writing them and how that writer is using them in the story.

The animated adaptions (Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's Spider-Man, Super Hero Adventures, and Spider-Verse) and spin-off comics like Spider-Man: Demolition Days and Marvel Action: Spider-Man has portrayed the spider-heroes as more of a team and family in my opinion.

Has Marvel actually used the term Spider-Family? I usually see them use Heroes from across the Spider-Verse when referring to the spider heroes.
    Last edited by Pattern_Maker; 10-17-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    ...When it comes to the main books it depends on whose writing them and how that writer is using them in the story.

The animated adaptions (Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's Spider-Man, Super Hero Adventures, and Spider-Verse) and spin-off comics like Spider-Man: Demolition Days and Marvel Action: Spider-Man have portrayed the spider-heroes as more of a team and family in my opinion.
    Are the standards really that low?

Peter not interacting with any other spider characters was one of that show's biggest flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

Peter not interacting with any other spider characters was one of that show's biggest flaws.
    I mean to me, honestly, Peter's relationships with the other spiders (not counting Miles since they are always cool with each other for the most part) have been better in animation.

Scarlet Spider in Ultimate Spider-Man. I loved that when Peter found out Scarlet was a synthezoid clone of himself that he still viewed him as a family instead of some monster created by Ock and told him that his past doesn't define his future.

Gwen and Anya in Marvel's Spider-Man, yeah I agree that they were hard on Peter and that it would have better if they found out he was Spider-Man earlier than the final season. I would have loved for it to happen during Spider-Island from season one or for more story reasons during the Superior Spider-Man saga of season two. But looking back at how both girls viewed Peter and Spider-Man it makes sense in a way as to why Peter didn't reveal himself, even before his explanation in Spider-Man Unmasked. Anya actually liked Spider-Man and viewed him as a good hero, while thinking negatively of Peter for the same reasons Liz Allan did. Gwen, on the other hand, viewed Peter more positively, and while she respected Spider-Man she wouldn't shy away from pointing out that he could have handled certain situations differently. Basically the same reasons he couldn't reveal himself to Harry; you have a friend who likes one part of you, but not entirely the other part of you. Miles on the other hand thought Peter was an okay guy before he finding out he was Spider-Man.

I mean, I think it goes both ways. The show barely focuses on developing Peter's relationship with his supporting cast or with the other Spiders, or barely focuses on said Spiders even after giving them their powers...yet to justify their role Peter ends up being rendered as less effective or competent than he's usually depicted as a solo hero.

The other Spiders really feel like they were executively mandated to be on the show.
    Would it be bad if it did?
    Maybe not, but I have yet to be convinced they have a positive impact on his stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    I mean to me, honestly, Peter's relationships with the other spiders (not counting Miles since they are always cool with each other for the most part) have been better in animation.

Scarlet Spider in Ultimate Spider-Man. I loved that when Peter found out Scarlet was a synthezoid clone of himself that he still viewed him as a family instead of some monster created by Ock and told him that his past doesn't define his future.

Gwen and Anya in Marvel's Spider-Man, yeah I agree that they were hard on Peter and that it would have better if they found out he was Spider-Man earlier than the final season. I would have loved for it to happen during Spider-Island from season one or for more story reasons during the Superior Spider-Man saga of season two. But looking back at how both girls viewed Peter and Spider-Man it makes sense in a way as to why Peter didn't reveal himself, even before his explanation in Spider-Man Unmasked. Anya actually liked Spider-Man and viewed him as a good hero, while thinking negatively of Peter for the same reasons Liz Allan did. Gwen, on the other hand, viewed Peter more positively, and while she respected Spider-Man she wouldn't shy away from pointing out that he could have handled certain situations differently. Basically the same reasons he couldn't reveal himself to Harry; you have a friend who likes one part of you, but not entirely the other part of you. Miles on the other hand thought Peter was an okay guy before he finding out he was Spider-Man.
    I feel like Scarlet's relationship with Peter in USM was much more well-developed than his relationship with the other Spiders in Marvel's Spider-Man, especially since it was a season long arc.

Honestly I could say the same for the rest of the Web Warriors save for maybe Cho. Like, I had my issues with USM and it had its own issues with offscreen character development but we did get to see Peter build up bonds with Flash, Scarlet, and USM Miles in a relatively more organic fashion than we did Peter with Miles or Anya before they got powers (and somewhat after they got powers).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Scarlet's relationship with Peter in USM was much more well-developed than his relationship with the other Spiders in Marvel's Spider-Man, especially since it was a season long arc.

Honestly I could say the same for the rest of the Web Warriors save for maybe Cho. Like, I had my issues with USM and it had its own issues with offscreen character development but we did get to see Peter build up bonds with Flash, Scarlet, and USM Miles in a relatively more organic fashion than we did Peter with Miles or Anya before they got powers (and somewhat after they got powers).
    "Feel like"? It was better done in USM than the new show (ironically after screwing up Peter's relationship with his initial team.)

"Feel like"? It was better done in USM than the new show (ironically after screwing up Peter's relationship with his initial team.)
    It was kind of funny how many teams Peter kept ditching on that show .

Y'know, that reminds me of another issue with the focus on the other Spiders is they take away the focus on Peter's civilian life and supporting cast. USM basically ended up with Peter in costume 100% of the time and Marvel's Spider-Man Peter talked about how he hardly had any friends who weren't Superheroes.

Chiming in here. I think the reason a Spider "family" doesn't really take off the same way say, the Batfamily does, is because Marvels street heroes in general are much broader than DC. In my opinion anyway. The majority of DCs street stuff stems from Gotham. So naturally.. Batfam territory. But in Marvel, you have Spidey, Daredevil, Luke, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Moon Knight, Punisher, etc..

So for me, there are only a few Spider characters that can already add to that group. Miles is a bit of an exception.

This is all just coming from my perspective.
    Last edited by cc008; 10-17-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Chiming in here. I think the reason a Spider "family" doesn't really take off the same way say, the Batfamily does, is because Marvels street heroes in general are much broader than DC. In my opinion anyway. The majority of DCs street stuff stems from Gotham. So naturally.. Batfam territory. But in Marvel, you have Spidey, Daredevil, Luke, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Moon Knight, Punisher, etc..

So for me, there are only a few Spider characters that can already add to that group. Miles is a bit of an exception.

The only Spider-Family that makes sense(in my opinion) are as follows:

1. Jessica Drew
    2. Peter Parker
    3. Julia Carpenter
    4. Kaine Parker
    5. Black Widow

I bring these characters up because they do not share the same origin as Parker. Also, this is the reason to why they would work well together as teammates and close friends. This is what a Spider-Family should be all about. Miles and Ghost-Spider works best in their own universe. For the Spider-Family relationship to work(with the readers), they must not share the same origin as Parker.

Regarding Silk, she's the repackaged version of Ultimate Universe Spider-Woman for Marvel-616, as far as her powers goes.

While some will say why I have The Black Widow on the list? She has nothing to do with Spider-Man. Not to mention that Natasha doesn't have Spider-Powers at all. This make her unique to the Spider-Family as she was the first Spider-Themed character to seek out Spider-Man. Natasha also brings a strong dynamic to the Spider-Family in which she might know Peter's parents on a personal level, which has not been explored by past Marvel writers.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Marvel hasn't given me any reason to care about the idea of a Spider-Family since whenever they all team up, nothing really interesting happens in the story itself, the character interactions, and how different they are from each other.

If they ever manage to make it work, I'd be okay with it, after all, Spider-Verse movie was fun, but until that day, assuming it ever happens, I'm indifferent to it.

Although I would prefer that if a Spider-Family ever ends up working, I'll still want Spidey to keep his own solo comic, the civilian part of his life is a big deal after all.
    I think that's my biggest sticking point. For all the complaints about them getting involved in big Spider-Man stories what have they actually done? Spider-Geddon was arguably the only one where any of them got any legitimate spotlight in the event and it was still ultimately SpOck and Miles there.

And the original Spider-Verse they mostly got shunted off to tie-ins. In Clone Conspiracy Silk just had her own tie-in and Gwen and Kaine were just there in minor roles. In Going Down Swing Miles and Cindy both got taken out off-panel. And now here they all got possessed.

So I dunno, for all the complaints about them making Pete less special it really feels like all their involvement really ever amounts to is to highlight how Pete is the most special of all lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post

This is an interesting take, but would you be willing to expand a bit on it? I think I may get an idea of what you mean. Bat-Family stuff in DC is pretty homogeneous. The characters have a tighter link with each other (With them usually being actual family to each other) and certainly react more to their corner of the world. But I don't that's necessarily impossible to do with Spider-Characters either. After all, while it is true that the Marvel Street Level Scene is shared by a lot more people, it is still usually contained to a single city (New York) and the spider-corner of it tends to be also homogeneous. You can see Spider-Man hopping in other people's business (Like appearing in Daredevil's book) but it is very rare when the opposite happens (Someone outside of Spider-Man's corner coming to his)