Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Does it also matter that Jean-Paul is a 10 looks-wise and Kyle is a 5, and their hooking up doesn't feel realistic? To me, it matters. I'm relatively new to CBR so not sure if it's been discussed a hundred times before or not.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Does it also matter that Jean-Paul is a 10 looks-wise and Kyle is a 5, and their hooking up doesn't feel realistic? To me, it matters. I'm relatively new to CBR so not sure if it's been discussed a hundred times before or not.
    What exactly makes Kyle a 5, or them hooking up unrealistic? We've seen plenty of human/mutant relationships in Marvel.

Complaining abt the Northstar/Kyle marriage feels lazy at this point. Are y’all not reading the stories they are putting out with those two that are developing them?? If you don’t like Kyle then just say that. It would save a lot of time instead of writing paragraphs about how “underdeveloped” their union is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Dang Vita stealth made an entire new generation of mutants without anyone noticing, which does make the CotA seem even more redundant, but that's a dead horse atp.
    What does one have to do with the other? The CotA are all human except one mutant. It’s telling a different story than just introducing a new generation.
    Last edited by Tycon; 07-06-2021 at 05:54 AM.

That sounds like a super vain relationship if it doesn't feel realistic. I never got the concept of rating how someone looks on some scale either as though their is some universal notion on what beauty should be. Like for instance Angelina Jolie is okay looking but she isn't stunning, Jennifer Aniston imo is about as plain as they come, the kardashians are not hot. Some would claim all of them are 10s though. a 10 personality is perfet for me, even if they look based on your system a 3 or 4. one i'm thinking tree monster so i got to at least be realistic. lol If your together for looks, somebody cheating.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Complaining abt the Northstar/Kyle marriage feels lazy at this point. Are y’all not reading the stories they are putting out with those two that are developing them?? If you don’t like Kyle then just say that. It would save a lot of time instead of writing paragraphs about how “underdeveloped” their union is.
    I'm not sure what to tell you if that's your take away, not to mention a heavy assumption when people are outright explaining why they feel that way. And a few people did say dislike him, while others just don't like how underdeveloped he is.

As we pointed out, the fact that he's a human character in a comic about mutants while also being married to a character that gets infrequently used means there are less opportunities to develop him. It's an unfortunate situation, but it exists and why Kyle feels shallow as a character. Even Leah, who wrote them for like 10 issues, still didn't really manage to develop Kyle as an individual; instead of "Northstar's husband".

Personally I feel like he has potential to be interesting, but none of the writers have used in him a way that could be fun. As a human what is his perspective on Krakoa? Do other people (the public) know that he's one of the few humans allowed to live on Krakoa and how do they interact with him because of that? we got a small snippet of that we captain america but eh... Outside of being a former manager and public representative, what are his interests and hobbies? We barely know much about him or even his and Jean-Paul's relationship. Heck even just showing on-panel their first meeting would be interesting.

Maybe if he had the same type of focus that Madelyne did... but then that'd involve a lot of trauma congo-line.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 07-06-2021 at 07:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That sounds like a super vain relationship if it doesn't feel realistic. I never got the concept of rating how someone looks on some scale either as though their is some universal notion on what beauty should be. Like for instance Angelina Jolie is okay looking but she isn't stunning, Jennifer Aniston imo is about as plain as they come, the kardashians are not hot. Some would claim all of them are 10s though. a 10 personality is perfet for me, even if they look based on your system a 3 or 4. one i'm thinking tree monster so i got to at least be realistic. lol If your together for looks, somebody cheating.
    Not universal as in literally 100%, but the vast majority of people can agree on attractiveness. Like, if we polled a gay forum on whether they'd rather bang JP or Kyle, I don't think the results will be close to 50/50 or anything.

With that said, I would agree that Kyle being underdeveloped is a bigger problem for the character. I'm just adding on top that it doesn't seem like JP in real life would hook up with Kyle.

Not universal as in literally 100%, but the vast majority of people can agree on attractiveness. Like, if we polled a gay forum on whether they'd rather bang JP or Kyle, I don't think the results will be close to 50/50 or anything.

With that said, I would agree that Kyle being underdeveloped is a bigger problem for the character. I'm just adding on top that it doesn't seem like JP in real life would hook up with Kyle.
    You haven't answered the question of what's supposed to make Kyle so much less attractive than Northstar, to the point of calling their relationship unrealistic.

Extraordinary Member

Loa was the last mutant revealed as queer. Who do you think will be next?

In other news, I hope we continue to see David in Trails of Magneto.

Like I want to see the fallout from Tommy finding Wanda. Imagine going to see your fwb and then finding your mom dead in a bush. I'm sad to see X-Factor end because that is some drama right there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Loa was the last mutant revealed as queer. Who do you think will be next?
    Laura. Or they finally pull the chekhov's gun that was set up with gabby in xmen red

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

What does one have to do with the other? The CotA are all human except one mutant. It’s telling a different story than just introducing a new generation.
    Writing off other queer people’s criticism feels lazy at this point. Most people here have read all of their appearances (not like there’s that many appearances they have post marriage anyway) if they aren’t so underdeveloped then why is it that Thinkfast has become more popular in a year’s span of time with a 1/4 of the panel time? X-Factor did very little to actually change that, the only ship that was actually given emotional stakes, sexy moments and development was Daken/Aurora. JP/Kyle is literally one of the only m/m ships that queer men have so I think constant critique is fair. There’s potential but no one has or likely will ever tap into it due to the nature and context of the relationship and how it likely won’t ever take off in a superhero team book.
    Last edited by Wiccan615; 07-06-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

If anything, Kyle is the 10 and northstar is a 3.

To be quite honest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm not sure what to tell you if that's your take away, not to mention a heavy assumption when people are outright explaining why they feel that way. And a few people did say dislike him, while others just don't like how underdeveloped he is.

As we pointed out, the fact that he's a human character in a comic about mutants while also being married to a character that gets infrequently used means there are less opportunities to develop him. It's an unfortunate situation, but it exists and why Kyle feels shallow as a character. Even Leah, who wrote them for like 10 issues, still didn't really manage to develop Kyle as an individual; instead of "Northstar's husband".

Personally I feel like he has potential to be interesting, but none of the writers have used in him a way that could be fun. As a human what is his perspective on Krakoa? Do other people (the public) know that he's one of the few humans allowed to live on Krakoa and how do they interact with him because of that? we got a small snippet of that we captain america but eh... Outside of being a former manager and public representative, what are his interests and hobbies? We barely know much about him or even his and Jean-Paul's relationship. Heck even just showing on-panel their first meeting would be interesting.

Maybe if he had the same type of focus that Madelyne did... but then that'd involve a lot of trauma congo-line.
    Not every side character needs to be flehed out if that isn't their story. What do you know about elliot Stabler wife despite the years he was on Law and order and they were married. She was a wife, a mother, loyal and was killed. Did Law and Order lose anything because we didn't have a season dedicated to miss elliot stabler. I just don't get the media double standards. And i say media as in format not media media.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    Writing off other queer people’s criticism feels lazy at this point. Most people here have read all of their appearances (not like there’s that many appearances they have post marriage anyway) if they aren’t so underdeveloped then why is it that Thinkfast has become more popular in a year’s span of time with a 1/4 of the panel time? X-Factor did very little to actually change that, the only ship that was actually given emotional stakes, sexy moments and development was Daken/Aurora. JP/Kyle is literally one of the only m/m ships that queer men have so I think constant critique is fair. There’s potential but no one has or likely will ever tap into it due to the nature and context of the relationship and how it likely won’t ever take off in a superhero team book.
    Honestly if you first told me that Tommy and David would be such an interesting couple in 2012, I would've been very

But their chemistry in Gillen's run of YA was so good and I think when written well are chaotically fun together.

also what happened to this idea david

"We don't do that"
    "Yeah, we don't always do that"

I honestly don't really see them as a lovey-dovey couple, both are very awkward with emotions I think. I think they are kinda of a mess and should be portrayed that way but its what makes them fun.

I don't know if that is true. I 100% don't find makeup attractive on men or women. It to me feels like i'm not looking at a real person but a piece they put together. I don't judge it, sometimes it gives you insight, but i don't think it's beautiful moreso than a statement.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.