Page 389 of 668 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439489 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 10015
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I mostly agree with you except for Jean Grey, who stays dead too long for me consider her core. I think is more like

Core 1.Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops
    Core 2. Jean, Beast,Kitty, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman,Xavier
    really close Bishop, Asian Betsy, Angel, Gambit, Colossus, Cable **Magik

They are 3 X-men who are clearly slightly important than rest but isn't important enough because of nature of the franchise to need have all three of them around. It is really hard to do a team that feels offical without someone from Core 1 but if you stick enough people from Core 2 and the "really close group" you can get away it for a little while but the big X-men formula that works normally at least 1 out of 3 of Core 1 and depending how much you use from Core 1,determines how much you use from the next group.

And my controversial opinion is that Magik is now A-list X-man, She does the berserker loose canon Wolverine thing very well and writers have recognized that and have been using her to the fullest.
    As much as I dislike the character, Cable is more able to maintain a solo than either Cyclops or Jean, so he's darn close to breaking into top tier. It is interesting that just one of those characters isn't enough, it seems. Jean was surrounded by B-teamers on X-Men Red and couldn't seem to get a break, and Rogue didn't have enough top tier backup, IMO, in Uncanny Avengers (Havok and Quicksilver just not quite enough to pull that X-feel).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As much as I dislike the character, Cable is more able to maintain a solo than either Cyclops or Jean, so he's darn close to breaking into top tier. It is interesting that just one of those characters isn't enough, it seems. Jean was surrounded by B-teamers on X-Men Red and couldn't seem to get a break, and Rogue didn't have enough top tier backup, IMO, in Uncanny Avengers (Havok and Quicksilver just not quite enough to pull that X-feel).
    Cable get cancelled everytime with a short run, he isn't that popular anymore

He wasn't using it.
    He is using, that is how he became mutant: he put some of Thunderbird X-gene on him
    Last edited by baxer; 11-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Cyclops and Jean never had a proper solo run, they had a few minis and one shots.

When Cyclops was at the highest of his relevance, Marvel decided to give his teenage version that many hated (I was one), instead of giving the adult version a solo. And while Jeen wasn't as hated as teen Scott, she just wasn't the original.

I believe that Cyclops and possibly Jean are capable of holding a solo title as well as any x-character not named Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is the biggest lie in all of comics, It is true all characters can become superstars with a great writer and set up(because you can change old character into a new character). GREAT characters(well-designed characters) can work with multiple setups and bad writers, Bad characters need everything to line up perfectly. How many of these writers who can make any character is working in the industry today? In most cases, you aren't getting the writer with the right imagination and pitch which why you use proven good character concepts. Plus if you why in the world would you tie a design concept that works to a thing that limits it, when you can create a new character without that old baggage.

This isn't some complex thing People associate X-men with certain CHARACTERS and their adventurers. It is not that you can never move on from Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Jean, etc but if you are starting a book and calling it X-men. You need certain characters to anchor the concept. No, where I am saying X-men can't work with other characters we have tons of spin-off books that have various degrees of success. But as good as any of those books are they never maintain consistent success and there is a reason.

We(fans) associate concepts with characters and it is very hard to establish the x-men concept out those characters, It very hard to maintain interest without those characters showing up again at some point. The Fast and furious movie franchise on from Vin Diesel but he came back and the franchise clicked BUT franchise has been cultivating the Rock character and he could if they wanted to take over the franchise( saw this in Hobbs and Shaw it could work). Most times you can't establish a character as a legit part of the franchise without the CORE characters around to establish this is the concept. The Rock doesn't get established in the franchise without Vin Diesel being around.
    And that’s why krakoa is not a very good story

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    He is using, that is how he became mutant: he put some of Thunderbird X-gene on him
    Sorry, that was meant as snark. I meant *Thunderbird* wasn't using the DNA at the time.

I think that is a different topic that we get confused because the Iconic characters like the Superman, Spiderman, Batman,etc can generally do both things(hold a solo, drive the initiative in team book) . Cable can hold "solo" better slightly because of character design but Cyclops or Reed Richards as lead character in "team "book getting as much focal time as in solo does better than a Cable solo. The best example of this X-men Red where Jean was 60 to 70% focus of that book. Fans might not want to see Jean,Cyclops,Kitty or Storm as lead of solo I can't give you a perfect reason as to why but X-men Red(Jean),Current X-men or Whedon/Morrision/Bendis runs(Cyclops), X-men Gold/Marauders(Kitty) and anything with Claremont(Storm) those things might have X-men in the front of the book but strongly have been solo stories for those characters with teammates as side characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    And that’s why krakoa is not a very good story
    Your opinion, which you are allowed to have but it is not a surprise that this have been best selling run in awhile. The big general story is focus has been on Xavier, Magneto, Moria, Apocalypse, Cyclops and Wolverine there is no doubt to fans it is "the X-men". And most the successful books they are pushing is built with formula I showed 1 person from Core 1 and Core 2 aka X-men(Cyclops) Marauders(Storm,Kitty) X-force(Jean,Wolverine) Excalibur( Rogue, Betsy) then you fill out the rest of the B-tier or C-tier and then put on a wildcard/fresh face. Lets keep eye on the books I haven't mention lets see how they do long term. The shakiest book in my list is Excalibur I am confident that a writer change nothing against Tini( the stories she is trying to tell isn't gelling with the fanbase idea of X-men) will lead to a better performance.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-16-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

I feel like X-Men in particular is hampered by its floating timeline. It outright negates consequences and character development.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

That kinda applies to everybody though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What if it bombs though.
    Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But I don't think the character is inherently undeserving of a movie.

Personally, I think a t.v. series would have been better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Personally, I think a t.v. series would have been better.
    Especially when you're juggling large amounts of characters.

It's best if it's animated as they aren't as constrained by SFX, but cartoons will always have the stigma of being "for kids".

edited post.

Monet's ego is completely disproportionate to her underwhelming power set.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    That kinda applies to everybody though.
    Its particularly noticable in X-Men because obviously the classic run is Claremont, who was on there so long and was able to push (most of) his ideas about the characters changing, growing, and moving on for 15 years. After that the editorial policy has been that each status quo change is strictly temporary and has to eventually cycle back to the Waltons set-up in the Mansion, like nothing ever really happens at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Its particularly noticable in X-Men because obviously the classic run is Claremont, who was on there so long and was able to push (most of) his ideas about the characters changing, growing, and moving on for 15 years. After that the editorial policy has been that each status quo change is strictly temporary and has to eventually cycle back to the Waltons set-up in the Mansion, like nothing ever really happens at all.
    That's the biggest irony of Marvel's obsession with maintaining the Claremont-quo.

Claremont WEANTED the characters to grow and move forward. Hell, he wanted to retire Cyclops permanently.

In the five short years of their promotion, the Inhumans were better at racial diversity than the X-Men have been in three decades.