Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

They're not gonna do so because at a certain point it's clear that for some fans, the issue is having a really single-minded hatred of a certain character masquerading as some sort of general concern trolling.

tfw you've held a series longer than 99.99% of characters and people still think the company shills you for some reason other than that you're successful
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Except Romanc Reigns is getting cheered these days.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I feel very conflicted regarding current Carol Danvers.

On one hand, I always thought Ms Marvel was the Avengers' greatest or second-greatest female member (her main competition being Janet and Wanda). As such, I do believe Carol should be a A-list hero.

On the other hand, current Captain Marvel feels nothing like the classic Carol Danvers. Seriously, she's a different character. Were it not for the name, I would never have guessed that the character Brie Larson plays in the movies is supposed to be Carol Danvers.

The weird part is, there was already Monica Rambeau as the strong feminist heroine with a no nonsense personality.

Why didn't they turn Monica into their new flagship heroine? Did they really have to change Carol Danvers? Timing mostly.

Back when Monica was created in the 80's, she was Roger Stern's pet character. So he wrote her as one of best heroes ever (kinda like how Aaron wrote Jane Foster when she got Thor's powers), admired by everyone on the Avengers roster, with a few other heroes, including Spider-Man, commenting on how hot she is, with fairly OP abilities due to her being a lightspeed speedster in marvel and completely intangible being made of light. In a few years she became team captain (without Captain America). However, Mark Gruenwald (i loved his Captain America and Quasar runs) wanted Captain America to be team leader, so he took her out of the team.

After that everybody seemed to ignore her existence until warren ellis in nextwave. Genis-vell took captain marvel's title (and also her photon name later), with her going into basically comic limbo. They even tried to nerf her to make her more accessible in teams.

Meanwhile busiek brought Carol back in 1999 out of limbo in his iconic Avengers run, took away her binary powers, did an arc with alcoholism after her trauma conga line, leading into Kang Dinasty where she played a prominent role making her a mainstay for the Quesada era. Her popularity grew, and she could carry a 50 issue series straight under Brian Reed, surpassing she-hulk's contemporary run. Marvel studios got interested in her (as Ms. Marvel, writing a mock script far back as 2010) a prominent female character they had rights to. Additionally she had game appearances, and showed up in EMH as well.

Bada bing bada boom. Everything synergized and she got promoted to captain marvel.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I have no issues with Carol being an A-Lister hero.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I feel very conflicted regarding current Carol Danvers.

On one hand, I always thought Ms Marvel was the Avengers' greatest or second-greatest female member (her main competition being Janet and Wanda). As such, I do believe Carol should be a A-list hero.

On the other hand, current Captain Marvel feels nothing like the classic Carol Danvers. Seriously, she's a different character. Were it not for the name, I would never have guessed that the character Brie Larson plays in the movies is supposed to be Carol Danvers.

The weird part is, there was already Monica Rambeau as the strong feminist heroine with a no nonsense personality.

Why didn't they turn Monica into their new flagship heroine? Did they really have to change Carol Danvers? Timing mostly.

Back when Monica was created in the 80's, she was Roger Stern's pet character. So he wrote her as one of best heroes ever (kinda like how Aaron wrote Jane Foster when she got Thor's powers), admired by everyone on the Avengers roster, with a few other heroes, including Spider-Man, commenting on how hot she is, with fairly OP abilities due to her being a lightspeed speedster in marvel and completely intangible being made of light. In a few years she became team captain (without Captain America). However, Mark Gruenwald (i loved his Captain America and Quasar runs) wanted Captain America to be team leader, so he took her out of the team.

After that everybody seemed to ignore her existence until warren ellis in nextwave. Genis-vell took captain marvel's title (and also her photon name later), with her going into basically comic limbo. They even tried to nerf her to make her more accessible in teams.

Meanwhile busiek brought Carol back in 1999 out of limbo in his iconic Avengers run, took away her binary powers, did an arc with alcoholism after her trauma conga line, leading into Kang Dinasty where she played a prominent role making her a mainstay for the Quesada era. Her popularity grew, and she could carry a 50 issue series straight under Brian Reed, surpassing she-hulk's contemporary run. Marvel studios got interested in her (as Ms. Marvel, writing a mock script far back as 2010) a prominent female character they had rights to. Additionally she had game appearances, and showed up in EMH as well.

Bada bing bada boom. Everything synergized and she got promoted to captain marvel.
    Isn't Monica going to be in Wanda Vision and probably in Captain Marvel 2 and next avengers.

How did Monica become Captain Marvel

BANNED

Feel like people tend to use Monica more as an excuse to throw shade at Carol more then have any care for Spectrum to begin with.

For me personally as unpopular as it might not sound. I think the fact Carol always had a connection to the Kree and the original namesake of Captain Mar-Vell it cements the notion of it being logical for her to go that direction. Whereas I don’t think Monica ever had a connection to either, so it was kind of random.

There’s nothing preventing Marvel from having more then one premier female though. If comic companies could have more then one male at the forefront why does it just have to be one female?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    You can make her powerful without humiliating other heroes.
    there are just characters who exist for that reason. ex. Dr. Doom

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    there are just characters who exist for that reason. ex. Dr. Doom
    He’s a fan favorite though so no one bats an eye when he does it.

Deadpool and Squirrel girl are mentionable too but their spoof characters, I guess!

Regardless Carol didn’t even humiliate Thor, he was given a favorable look in her comic to help the story progress. I wouldn’t understand how him being written in Captain Marvel is more humiliating then being on the losing end against Ghost Rider’s vehicle.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Feel like people tend to use Monica more as an excuse to throw shade at Carol more then have any care for Spectrum to begin with.

For me personally as unpopular as it might not sound. I think the fact Carol always had a connection to the Kree and the original namesake of Captain Mar-Vell it cements the notion of it being logical for her to go that direction. Whereas I don’t think Monica ever had a connection to either, so it was kind of random.

There’s nothing preventing Marvel from having more then one premier female though. If comic companies could have more then one male at the forefront why does it just have to be one female?
    I agree with this statement

BANNED

That's definitely what it looks like, you know how many articles I saw when the movie was coming out that said they should've used Monica instead of Carol and it was nothing but clear that the writer clearly had some kind of agenda or axe to grind and they were just using Monica to try and make a point?
    They can all easily be boiled down to "Why are you using the white woman instead of the black one?" And very few of them actually seemed to care about the characters, since none of the articles ever acknowledged that characters besides Carol and Monica have used the name or that Monica had no connection to Mar-Vell whatsoever.

She didn't.
    She only had the name because Marvel wanted to keep the trademark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    That's definitely what it looks like, you know how many articles I saw when the movie was coming out that said they should've used Monica instead of Carol and it was nothing but clear that the writer clearly had some kind of agenda or axe to grind and they were just using Monica to try and make a point?
    They can all easily be boiled down to "Why are you using the white woman instead of the black one?" And very few of them actually seemed to care about the characters, since none of the articles ever acknowledged that characters besides Carol and Monica have used the name or that Monica had no connection to Mar-Vell whatsoever.

She didn't.
    She only had the name because Marvel wanted to keep the trademark.
    That’s how it comes off to me too, I’ve seen several articles and even YouTube videos where they tried to make it a race thing. Being black myself I’d love more representation but going off lore it made more sense for Carol to be given the mantle. In her OG days she had a big Kree prophecy and they have that whole Kree/Skrull war to go on with it. So they had substance too for Carol being used in the MCU in bringing the Kree and Skrull in on top of things.

Funny thing is one youtuber who made a rant about Monica not being Captain Marvel and the racism behind it went on to make another rant video about how Superman isn’t black and no depiction of Black Superman has lore behind him to justify a movie in response to the Michael B Jordan rumors.

Honestly some people are ironically weaponizing the idea of diversity to where it suits them and what characters they’re ok with being “this or that”
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 12-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

That’s how it comes off to me too, I’ve seen several articles and even YouTube videos where they tried to make it a race thing. Being black myself I’d love more representation but going off lore it made more sense for Carol to be given the mantle. In her OG days she had a big Kree prophecy and they have that whole Kree/Skrull war to go on with it. So they had substance too for Carol being used in the MCU in bringing the Kree and Skrull in on top of things.

Funny thing is one youtuber who made a rant about Monica not being Captain Marvel and the racism behind it went on to make another rant video about how Superman isn’t black and no depiction of Black Superman has lore behind him to justify a movie in response to the Michael B Jordan rumors.

Honestly some people are ironically weaponizing the idea of diversity to where it suits them and what characters they’re ok with being “this or that”
    Being Black as well, what you have stated makes sense to me too.

Do people on CBR still have issues with Carol or just the same usual suspects again and again??

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I've never heard of the Kree prophecy regarding Carol.

I don't know why the MCU made the Skrulls a lovable and cuddly bunch (despite their history of being recurring Fantastic Four and Avengers villains) and the Kree so evil and goth tinged i'm surprised Ronan didn't eat a roasted baby for Christmas. But that's just me not being the biggest fan of black and white morality in space operas. (Kreya>Palpatine)
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.