Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spider-Woman #1 Spoilers

Name says it all - no spoiler tags needed her folks.

To pay the bills, Jess has been hired by a billionaire to protect his daughter. They're all on a ship to celebrate her Super 16 Party when suddenly the party is ambushed by would be kidnappers. Jess proceeds to kick ass, though her internal monologue tells us that not everything is as it seems - she's feel sick and enraged (and at one point throws a bratty kid off the boat). Jess beats down the kidnappers and explodes helicopters and an expensive car in the process. At the end, Jess vomits venom all over the deck of the boat - something is definitely NOT right.

Back Up Story: Tells how Jess took the job with Marchand. It also shows that someone sinister is behind Jessica's suit and made sure Big Ronnie (form Gwenpool) got the suit into Jessica's hands.

Short summary aside, this issue did a good job in setting up what's in store for Jess. There's A LOT we don't know yet - something is very wrong. Someone is out to get Jess but we don't all have the details yet. Next issue we get Octavia Vermis and Night Nurse showing up - which I can't wait to see.

Things I noticed: Jessica's eyes have always been green, but as a kid they were blue. Notice the panels were Jessica's eyes went from Green to Blue after she puked? Also, I like the shark shout out reference to Spider-Woman Origin.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-18-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

So...were any of those sailor henchmen supposed to have super strength? That one guy knocked Jess to all fours with one punch.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, something is definitely wrong with her biochemistry. Could be overdue effects of the radiation poisoning that spider-blood serum was meant to cure, since she was kept in a "genetic accelerator" for several decades according to her original backstory. Theorizing aside, I did like that Big Ronnie from the original Gwenpool series had a cameo here, and Jessica having her own financial woes reminds me a lot of classic Spider-Man, even if she is a vastly different character from Peter Parker in many if not most respects.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Even sicker than a dog Jess kicked some ass before she barfed what appears to be radioactive stuff. That billionaire better give her some extra cash. The back story to the new suit makes a lot of sense now. A nice set up story with more questions than answers. Night Nurse is a blast from the past and should be interesting. Not to many writers would even think about her let alone incorporate her into a story.

Looks like Jess and Roger are still together. Gerry tore up the house. LMAO! His superhero name should be Wrecking Machine When he gets older. Jess will need cash to keep up with him. Great first issue. Definitely added to my pull list.

Nice first issue.

I'm absolutely in love with Siqueiras' Jess. Old and new costume.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, something is definitely wrong with her biochemistry. Could be overdue effects of the radiation poisoning that spider-blood serum was meant to cure, since she was kept in a "genetic accelerator" for several decades according to her original backstory. Theorizing aside, I did like that Big Ronnie from the original Gwenpool series had a cameo here, and Jessica having her own financial woes reminds me a lot of classic Spider-Man, even if she is a vastly different character from Peter Parker in many if not most respects.
    Yeah but Jessica's powers were restored by the Skrulls/Hydra(Skrulls posing as Hydra?)

Also, interesting that the vomit burned her logo onto the deck of the boat. Also interesting is that the suit is tracking her stats.

In regards to Night Nurse, Karla wrote a one shot for her in Fearless and she's showing up on the New Hawkeye. Very interesting.

The game is afoot!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Yeah but Jessica's powers were restored by the Skrulls/Hydra(Skrulls posing as Hydra?)

Also, interesting that the vomit burned her logo onto the deck of the boat. Also interesting is that the suit is tracking her stats.

In regards to Night Nurse, Karla wrote a one shot for her in Fearless and she's showing up on the New Hawkeye. Very interesting.

The game is afoot!
    Considering Night Nurse is dating Clint now...it may be interesting to see some issue there.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Looks like Jess and Roger are still together.
    ugh, was hoping that was over or forgotten

issue was fine-ish, the biggest issue is her suit (the colours just don't work)… at least we know it's "evil" or w.e. is going on, so hopefully she gets rid of it soon as well as all the cursing. Though the whole deadpool kid part was... bad, just bad :/
    Last edited by voidox; 03-19-2020 at 05:48 AM.

... so has the boy been aged up to 5-6 years old now, like how the sitcoms do with babies after the first season?

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    ugh, was hoping that was over or forgotten

issue was fine-ish, the biggest issue is her suit (the colours just don't work)… at least we know it's "evil" or w.e. is going on, so hopefully she gets rid of it soon as well as all the cursing. Though the whole deadpool kid part was... bad, just bad :/
    Someone has to take care of Gerry. Looks like they are here to stay. I hope Roger makes a few appearances as the Porcupine to help Jess every now and then. Gerry too since he has super powers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... so has the boy been aged up to 5-6 years old now, like how the sitcoms do with babies after the first season?
    Still a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Someone has to take care of Gerry. Looks like they are here to stay. I hope Roger makes a few appearances as the Porcupine to help Jess every now and then. Gerry too since he has super powers.
    I like Roger...one of those characters who needs a little more 'screen time' to develop him as more that Jess's plus 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Still a baby.

I like Roger...one of those characters who needs a little more 'screen time' to develop him as more that Jess's plus 1.
    I like Roger too. Lets see him get a cool costume now.

So who was that mysterious man who can now monitor Jess via the new costume? Is this the mysterious person from her past?

If so the silhouette matches Tick Tock.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I like Roger too. Lets see him get a cool costume now.

So who was that mysterious man who can now monitor Jess via the new costume? Is this the mysterious person from her past?

If so the silhouette matches Tick Tock.
    I'm not sure but I bet we find out in issue #4

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I'm not sure but I bet we find out in issue #4
    Hmmmm going by the solicit for #4 that could mean High Evolutionary, Jonathan Drew, or Magnus.