• Powerful

10 31.25%
  • Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
Page 3439 of 3522 FirstFirst ... 2439293933393389342934353436343734383439344034413442344334493489 ... LastLast
Results 51,571 to 51,585 of 52830

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    1.) I don't think I ever made the point that it was brought up in the movie. I simply said Fox was aware of this and in the promotion of the movies created by Fox and put on Youtube fans would have been able to have access to this information.

2.) I don't think there is even proof that writers forgot. Guys have we heard of google hello??? Lol. Writers are not just making these stories in a bubble. They have access to the same information that you and I have, and this information is readily available on the internet. And if the writers don't have that, there is Marvel Editorial who should be functioning as the subject matter experts. And your point may have been just the writers but the initial conversation was around storm fans having this knowledge, not solely the writers, who I would argue should be more aware of her powers and how they function since they are being paid to write these characters by Marvel.

3.) And it did most certainly contradict your initial statement. You said it has not been talked about in years. So if you meant by four years, which is when DOFP came out, then you would be right that I was incorrect, but your comment seemed to imply it was quite longer.

4.) Yes. I reread what you originally wrote. You were talking about writers initially. I was getting my conversation with Crimz which was about Storm fans mixed up with yours. But to this as I mentioned in point 2 the writers at Marvel are paid to write about characters that have been around for an extremely long time. They get paid to write these stories and therefore don't have the luxury to just forget (or in my opinion shouldn't have that luxury). That is the whole reason why editorial is their to ensure they write stories that don't conflict with other stories or established canon. As far as this ability (energy perception) not being brought up in the past 40+ years is incorrect. The story with Khan where it talks about her energy perception goes back to the 2002 or so era:

So maybe 20 or so years in the comics but there are enough instances where this is explained demonstrating how her powers work to where an avid reader of the books should know this.

5.) I get you are not talking about her fans but that is what Crimz and I were discussing. I wouldn't expect casual readers or people who are not fans of her to know this information. A person who is fan or fanatic I expect to know this bit information as this was established very early on in her mythos.

6.) Again, the writers get PAID to write these characters. They are or should be held to a higher standard than you or I. Period. Forgetting or not knowing is ok for you and myself, we don't get paid, but that is certainly not an excuse for people employed by Marvel.

7.) I never said people, I have been arguing her fans. And seeing that you only are talking to writers, and not her fans, why does a poll of people here matter when most people who frequent here are not writers for Marvel?

8.) I mention canon because people like to insert their opinions and head canon to make a point about a character when opinions are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is canon. For instance you mentioned that her energy perception hasn't been since 40+ years. If i were not aware of actual canon I would probably take your word for this but seeing I was able to find at least a showing of this being 16 years ago your initial statement would be incorrect. Outside the comics, this was readily available as recent as 2014 thanks to the Xmen movies (can't believe I'm writing this). So again, 40+ years is grossly incorrect.
    Well said and 100% agreed. A part of what makes stories and characters interesting is when creators take the time to flesh out their abilties and how characters creatively and tactically use them.

There have been plenty of opportunities for them to leverage Storm’s vast powerset in meaningful ways to contribute to stories so I wouldn’t accept the excuses that wirters don’t have to know every detail of her powers and skills. They do this for other characters so I don’t see why the lack of creativity (or easy to do research) is justifiable when it comes to Storm.

chile a whole bunch of nothing lol.

some wonder if her energy sight and her ability to see in the dark is gone since it hasnt been written in a long time.
    I agree with your earlier post. I don’t think writers need to acknowledge it all of the time in order for readers to know about it, but failing to educate themselves on Storm’s powerset so we don’t encounter an endless sea of PIS, CIS and WIS so they can “tell their story” is completely unacceptable.

For example, We have Storm creating ball lightning to see in the dark despite the fact that she has night vision (even Pak did this in her solo).
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 06-08-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Another perk I want Storm to generate Plasma again.....THAT was VERY creative. :0)
    Uh, you realize lightning is plasma right?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    Well said and 100% agreed. A part of what makes stories and characters interesting is when creators take the time to flesh out their abilties and how characters creatively and tactically use them.

There have been plenty of opportunities for them to leverage Storm’s vast powerset in meaningful ways to contribute to stories so I wouldn’t accept the excuses that wirters don’t have to know every detail of her powers and skills. They do this for other characters so I don’t see why the lack of creativity (or easy to do research) is justifiable when it comes to Storm.
    hey friend!!!! thank you so much! and I completely agree with your points too.

why some give these writers passes is beyond me. I mean they are getting paid. a quick Google search on her could easily address the whole point of "not knowing". that's a cop out.

I agree with your earlier post. I don’t writers need to acknowledge it all of the time in order for readers to know about it, but failing to educate themselves on Storm’s powerset so we don’t encounter an endless sea of PIS, CIS and WIS so they can “tell their story” is completely unacceptable.

For example, We have Storm creating ball lightning to see in the dark despite the fact that she has night vision (even Pak did this in her solo).
    and agreed again. this is why storm is one of the most inconsistently written characters.

and good observations about pak and Claremont I forgot about those instances.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    lolol ur absolutely correct thank u for the correction.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

never knew:

Ask any comics fan to draw up a shortlist of contenders who might be able to take on the Juggernaut and win, and chances are Spider-Woman’s name won’t enter the mix. That’s not meant as a slight on Jessica Drew’s skills as a costumed adventurer, mind you. It’s simply an acknowledgement that (like most superheroes) she’s not packing the kind of firepower you need to stop Juggernaut in his tracks.

The X-Men’s resident weather-manipulating mutant Storm presents a slightly more reasonable proposition – yet even this mistress of the elements wouldn’t make the cut, either. After all, Ororo Munroe has failed to contain Juggernaut before, even with the backing of her teammates.

duo were able to score one of history’s truly great upset victories in*Spider-Woman #38.

Their game plan involved Storm bombarding Juggernaut with bolts of lightning, while for her part, Spider-Woman hurled blasts of bio-energy his way. Somehow, this barrage generated sufficient force to not only knock this overgrown bully off-balance, but rocket him out into the ocean, taking him out of play - temporarily, at least.

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-ju...d-unstoppable/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yes, Yogaflame I definitely realized that. Thanks

hey friend!!!! thank you so much! and I completely agree with your points too.

why some give these writers passes is beyond me. I mean they are getting paid. a quick Google search on her could easily address the whole point of "not knowing". that's a cop out.
    and agreed again. this is why storm is one of the most inconsistently written characters.

and good observations about pak and Claremont I forgot about those instances.
    Agreed. All that we will get (and are already experiencing) is a further dilution to her development as writer picks up where previous writers left off (not yet raving about Coates but he is at least making some efforts) . And I don't think its that hard to do lol. Storm is in a position to get re-molded so why not go all out and have her choose to revitalize herself in all aspects. She's taking a break from leadership/the burden of protecting mutants and has been spending more time with the love of her life....so what does she want to do make her OWN significant changes in the world that will take root?

never knew:

Ask any comics fan to draw up a shortlist of contenders who might be able to take on the Juggernaut and win, and chances are Spider-Woman’s name won’t enter the mix. That’s not meant as a slight on Jessica Drew’s skills as a costumed adventurer, mind you. It’s simply an acknowledgement that (like most superheroes) she’s not packing the kind of firepower you need to stop Juggernaut in his tracks.

The X-Men’s resident weather-manipulating mutant Storm presents a slightly more reasonable proposition – yet even this mistress of the elements wouldn’t make the cut, either. After all, Ororo Munroe has failed to contain Juggernaut before, even with the backing of her teammates.

duo were able to score one of history’s truly great upset victories in*Spider-Woman #38.

Their game plan involved Storm bombarding Juggernaut with bolts of lightning, while for her part, Spider-Woman hurled blasts of bio-energy his way. Somehow, this barrage generated sufficient force to not only knock this overgrown bully off-balance, but rocket him out into the ocean, taking him out of play - temporarily, at least.

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-ju...d-unstoppable/
    Yes. A very cool story. I don't think he got blasted out into the ocean IIRC. I just recall the ship they were on exploding is a ball of flame. I think may sunk with the ship but they couldn't really do s%^& to him.

Agreed. All that we will get (and are already experiencing) is a further dilution to her development as writer picks up where previous writers left off (not yet raving about Coates but he is at least making some efforts) . And I don't think its that hard to do lol. Storm is in a position to get re-molded so why not go all out and have her choose to revitalize herself in all aspects. She's taking a break from leadership/the burden of protecting mutants and has been spending more time with the love of her life....so what does she want to do make her OWN significant changes in the world that will take root?

Yes. A very cool story. I don't think he got blasted out into the ocean IIRC. I just recall the ship they were on exploding is a ball of flame. I think may sunk with the ship but they couldn't really do s%^& to him.

you know I never thought about this in regards of the dilution of her character. it most certainly does appear that with some of the writers. we have had exceptions especially with the writers who explored her manipulating opponents internal bodily functions. and rider... it's not hard at all. that's is why I wanted to dispel some of the ideas around her energy perception not being essential to how her powers function.

now to coates I absolutely love what he has done but I think my only criticism with him as it relates to ororo is that I want to see more creative uses of her power. why are you not sold on him?

oh ok.. that is quite different from how the article framed it. do u 5hink she could handle juggernaut and if so how would you argue her winning?

you know I never thought about this in regards of the dilution of her character. it most certainly does appear that with some of the writers. we have had exceptions especially with the writers who explored her manipulating opponents internal bodily functions. and rider... it's not hard at all. that's is why I wanted to dispel some of the ideas around her energy perception not being essential to how her powers function.

now to coates I absolutely love what he has done but I think my only criticism with him as it relates to ororo is that I want to see more creative uses of her power. why are you not sold on him?

oh ok.. that is quite different from how the article framed it. do u 5hink she could handle juggernaut and if so how would you argue her winning?
    Writers: Part of her schtick is that Storm is resourceful. Be it leverage the power, skills or intellect of her team or tapping into her own skills and abilities. For example, her energy sight can still be unsuccessfully leveraged as part of the story to push the narrative forward. Like use it to track down the nanites in Red or the new sentinel in Gold, but to demonstrate the tactical planning and skill of their opposition have them already account her Ororo's secondary perceptions, so that even if she uses this ability they figured a way to conceal themselves or locations from her. It's still a creative use of her even if it can't save the day. It is tiring as f$%^ having writer after writer dilute Storm into this one trick pony who thinks lightning is the answer to everything, or she is too worn out by the role of leadership, or has no confidence in her abilities. If that's the best they have to offer then simply leave her out of your book.

Coates:I like what he has been doing with her in BP, and I love that she has the potential to be connected to or be part of pantheon of african deities. At my highest level of skepticism (and maybe that isn't the right way to convey my impression of him), I haven't seen enough from him to know he can handle Storm. Hear me out - Storm becoming a literal goddess is awesome but it isn't the development I was hoping for her. That being said I am super intrigued by it and I'm not yet sure where he would go with it so I am still invested to see where this will go.

Will we see more about her maternal history and see how this gift of godhead relates to her ancestors? Is this the reflection of the magic potential within her bloodline or is it separate? As the Hadari Yao what does that mean for her role/relationship with Wakanda and the MU as a whole? I'm excited about this but uneasy about what changes it could mean for her character. I just don't want to see other critical aspects of her canon history dramatically altered in ways that would ruin the elements of her that appeal to her fans. I love that she has divine power but I also love that she is a beautiful weather witch, African American princess, master thief, talented leader and warrior who also happens to be a good-hearted but flawed human being.

Juggz: In general...no, not really, but then again what can he do to her? Under most conditions it would be:

- Storm fights him until she is too exhausted and then passes out lol
    - Storm keeps the fight long range; can easily evade and counter project tiles, or simply fog/white-out the battle field and leave Cain blind; Nothing he could really do

Or

- Storm wins via BFR'ing him to where ever (ideally in the middle of a big ass body of water, open up the earth or off planet)
    - Not sure it would work but likely should - go for the brain synapse manipulation (and Storm probably wouldn't opt for this tactic but just putting that out there as an option)

Juggernaut is really just too durable for her to put down solo.

BANNED

Writers: Part of her schtick is that Storm is resourceful. Be it leverage the power, skills or intellect of her team or tapping into her own skills and abilities. For example, her energy sight can still be unsuccessfully leveraged as part of the story to push the narrative forward. Like use it to track down the nanites in Red or the new sentinel in Gold, but to demonstrate the tactical planning and skill of their opposition have them already account her Ororo's secondary perceptions, so that even if she uses this ability they figured a way to conceal themselves or locations from her. It's still a creative use of her even if it can't save the day. It is tiring as f$%^ having writer after writer dilute Storm into this one trick pony who thinks lightning is the answer to everything, or she is too worn out by the role of leadership, or has no confidence in her abilities. If that's the best they have to offer then simply leave her out of your book.

Coates:I like what he has been doing with her in BP, and I love that she has the potential to be connected to or be part of pantheon of african deities. At my highest level of skepticism (and maybe that isn't the right way to convey my impression of him), I haven't seen enough from him to know he can handle Storm. Hear me out - Storm becoming a literal goddess is awesome but it isn't the development I was hoping for her. That being said I am super intrigued by it and I'm not yet sure where he would go with it so I am still invested to see where this will go.

Will we see more about her maternal history and see how this gift of godhead relates to her ancestors? Is this the reflection of the magic potential within her bloodline or is it separate? As the Hadari Yao what does that mean for her role/relationship with Wakanda and the MU as a whole? I'm excited about this but uneasy about what changes it could mean for her character. I just don't want to see other critical aspects of her canon history dramatically altered in ways that would ruin the elements of her that appeal to her fans. I love that she has divine power but I also love that she is a beautiful weather witch, African American princess, master thief, talented leader and warrior who also happens to be a good-hearted but flawed human being.

Juggz: In general...no, not really, but then again what can he do to her? Under most conditions it would be:

- Storm keeps the fight long range; can easily evade and counter project tiles, or simply fog/white-out the battle field and leave Cain blind; Nothing he could really do

Or

- Storm wins via BFR'ing him to where ever (ideally in the middle of a big ass body of water, open up the earth or off planet)
    - Not sure it would work but likely should - go for the brain synapse manipulation (and Storm probably wouldn't opt for this tactic but just putting that out there as an option)

^^^This is an excellent post!

Or

This reminds me that I hate when writers don't let heroes BFR strong heroes like Hulk and Juggernaut. It always irks me as you can easily just send them away or just keep them afloat with winds or telekinesis. They are super-strong, not super-heavy. Storm should be able to keep them floating harmlessly in the air for a long time with their only threat being thunderclaps that her powers over air should nullify.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    This reminds me that I hate when writers don't let heroes BFR strong heroes like Hulk and Juggernaut. It always irks me as you can easily just send them away or just keep them afloat with winds or telekinesis. They are super-strong, not super-heavy. Storm should be able to keep them floating harmlessly in the air for a long time with their only threat being thunderclaps that her powers over air should nullify.
    Agreed. It seems like after all of these years of fighting these mega bricks no one ever employs this very obviously effective tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    ^^^This is an excellent post!
    Thanks Rutog <3

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    A super strong character can break out of a TK hold. Think of TK as "hands" made up of TK energy. If somebody like Jean tries to grab somebody in a TK hold, they can use their strength to struggle against it. If they are stronger than her TK powers, they can break free.

There was one story where an exhausted Jean tried to hold Sabertooth in a TK grip, but he was able to struggle within the hold and break out of her TK grip. (A fully rested Jean would have been able to hold Victor with little problems, but this shows how strength can break a TK hold).

Here, we see Rogue break out of Candra's TK grip. (She only succeeded because she caught Candra by surprise.):
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Nbck84b7WKw...BZC7jkuo=s1600

So, a TK character can have a lot of problems trying to hold onto a super-strength character. On the other hand, flexing out your muscles won't do squat against the winds.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    A super strong character can break out of a TK hold. Think of TK as "hands" made up of TK energy. If somebody like Jean tries to grab somebody in a TK hold, they can use their strength to struggle against it. If they are stronger than her TK powers, they can break free.

There was one story where an exhausted Jean tried to hold Sabertooth in a TK grip, but he was able to struggle within the hold and break out of her TK grip. (A fully rested Jean would have been able to hold Victor with little problems, but this shows how strength can break a TK hold).

Here, we see Rogue break out of Candra's TK grip. (She only succeeded because she caught Candra by surprise.):
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Nbck84b7WKw...BZC7jkuo=s1600

So, a TK character can have a lot of problems trying to hold onto a super-strength character. On the other hand, flexing out your muscles won't do squat against the winds.
    Can't a TK user raise someone by one body part? Say Jean wanted to make a brick type float, couldn't she just raise them up by their hand or foot and have them dangle helplessly in the air? There's nothing they can do to break free if TK isn't enveloping their entire body.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!