Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    They have so mishandled Star Wars that of the 4 films released ; 3 of them globally have done $1+ billion dollars in box office revenue. While Solo did bomb at box office ; the other films clearly have done so well box office wise its clear they didn't mishandle that one.
    Keep in mind, I was talking Star Wars as a franchise, not necessarily the films and how it relates to Disney's bumbling. Though that being said, none of the films together have managed to climb out of the 4 billion dollar cost of purchasing the franchise as these movies cost to make these films was about a billion dollars in total. This could be off-set by merchandise, but there have been rumblings for a while now that the new toys don't sell and now the new Star Wars theme park is being declared a flop.

Disney Star Wars isn't like Marvel or Pixar, which are companies that were already successfully producing films before their acquisition and maintain much of their own autonomy, Lucasfilm was a skeleton of its former self by the time of the acquisition and had to be rebuilt by Disney. So its success and and eventual failings are much more reflective of the company than Marvel's success.

TLDR; Disney doesn't have a perfect record with its acquisitions and we shouldn't pretend that Disney's purchase of fox is them playing fourth dimensional chess and we just can't see their true plan.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    MCU success didn't make people overlook the failure of Solo. All the Disney's films that fall outside of MCU, Star Wars and Pixar don't do so hot. The remake of Dimbo was a flop.
    The remakes of Aladdin and Lion King are massive hits. Frozen 2 will probably make a fortune. So you are demonstrably wrong.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Keep in mind, I was talking Star Wars as a franchise, not necessarily the films and how it relates to Disney's bumbling. Though that being said, none of the films together have managed to climb out of the 4 billion dollar cost of purchasing the franchise as these movies cost to make these films was about a billion dollars in total. This could be off-set by merchandise, but there have been rumblings for a while now that the new toys don't sell and now the new Star Wars theme park is being declared a flop.

Disney Star Wars isn't like Marvel or Pixar, which are companies that were already successfully producing films before their acquisition and maintain much of their own autonomy, Lucasfilm was a skeleton of its former self by the time of the acquisition and had to be rebuilt by Disney. So its success and and eventual failings are much more reflective of the company than Marvel's success.

TLDR; Disney doesn't have a perfect record with its acquisitions and we shouldn't pretend that Disney's purchase of fox is them playing fourth dimensional chess and we just can't see their true plan.

CNBC themselves recently detailed that Disney has already hit a HR with the Star Wars purchased and through profits off the Star Wars films after everything as well as merch sold have recouped the $4+ billion buyout in 2012. In fact as one analyst put it ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six-...nvestment.html

“This was one of the smartest acquisitions in history,” Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for comScore, told CNBC.

In fact one article from months ago detailed that Disney has made after everything was taken out etc about $2.8-3.0+ billion on the films as a whole. Due to deals they worked where they demanded 65% of the box office for these films etc. This doesn't even count the merch sales yet either which already will push the deal over the top.

Now you are right the theme park of Star Wars is struggling and many believe Disney rushed the park to completion before it was fully ready. A big attraction isn't due til 2020 and the price to enter has irked fans of it. Of course Disney can fix this by 2020 by lowering costs and getting things ready.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...s-flops-source

Now onto Fox deal. The deal itself was to give Disney more IP's to work on and have a hand in creating new franchises. Disney takes control of Aliens , Predator , Die Hard and others as franchise type films to sell.They can make movie franchises under the Fox studio and have a hand in working magic to sell that. This deal will also give them better positioning on streaming.

Disney has already put one plan in motion and is packaging Hulu , Disney+ and ESPN streaming sites for $12.99 a month. They have moved Simpsons to Disney+ , they will get the Fox library for Hulu etc. The plans seem to be to lure and hook as many into streaming where the real big money is ahead. With netflix doing a price increase soon , Disney senses blood in water and offered as much streaming options in a package to get people.

I fully expect in 5-8 years Disney will have pretty much made the Fox deal worth it. They will likely have it totally paid off with profits they have earned. They already have with Pixar , Marvel and Star Wars.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Talk about an insane blood bath. This week had 6 movies debut and 2-3 of them likely hurt each other. In a few weeks I'll likely be detailing busts ahead. But when you have 6 movies debut all in one week , what the **** are studios thinking ? And its August !
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

BANNED

Talk about an insane blood bath. This week had 6 movies debut and 2-3 of them likely hurt each other. In a few weeks I'll likely be detailing busts ahead. But when you have 6 movies debut all in one week , what the **** are studios thinking ? And its August !
    August is not a traditional box office mega month.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

August is a dump month much like January.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    August is not a traditional box office mega month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    August is a dump month much like January.
    Well last week Universal released their spin-off film to Fast & Furious the 1st weekend of August. Last year Disney released Christopher Robin and Warner Bros released The Meg as 2 major films. August is now a month studios seem to plot for films at times now. This past weekend one example is Paramount trying to start its Dora franchise this past weekend.

BANNED

Well last week Universal released their spin-off film to Fast & Furious the 1st weekend of August. Last year Disney released Christopher Robin and Warner Bros released The Meg as 2 major films. August is now a month studios seem to plot for films at times now. This past weekend one example is Paramount trying to start its Dora franchise this past weekend.
    I'm not entirely certain of your point here, but I'm not certain you're making it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I'm not entirely certain of your point here, but I'm not certain you're making it.
    That the saying August is a dumping ground is kinda...false given what studios have started placing there. This year and last year included. Also these are the films released the last decade in August to drive my point even further home.

G.I Joe : Rise of Cobra
    District 9
    Inglorious Bastards
    Halloween II
    The Final Destination

2010 :

The Other Guys
    Eat Pray Love
    The Expendables
    Scott Pilgrim vs World
    Nanny McPhee Returns

Final Destination 5
    Rise of Planet of Apes
    Conan the Barbarian
    Spy Kids : All Time in World

2012 :

Diary of a Wimpy Kid : Dog Days
    Total Recall
    The Bourne Legacy
    The Campaign
    Expendables 2

2013 :

2 Guns
    Percy Jackson :Sea of Monsters
    Elysium
    Kick-Ass 2
    The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

2014 :

Expendables 3
    Sin City : A Dame to Kill for.

2015 :

Fantastic Four
    Man from Uncle
    Straight Outta Compton

2016 :

Suicide Squad
    Pete's Dragon

I stopped at 2016 since well , we already went back a couple years ago. The old saying studios use August as a dumping ground doesn't hold much weight when big budget super hero films , action films and more are being pushed into August as we have seen the last decade. This month saw Paramount pick it as a time to try and launch its Dora franchise as we see. Whether it works we shall see down the line for August. But a few are DOA on arrival.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Dora finished fourth with $17 million on a reported $49 million budget. Would that qualify as a bust, or is it too soon to make that determination? In any event, that's no way to launch a franchise.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I stopped at 2016 since well , we already went back a couple years ago. The old saying studios use August as a dumping ground doesn't hold much weight when big budget super hero films , action films and more are being pushed into August as we have seen the last decade. This month saw Paramount pick it as a time to try and launch its Dora franchise as we see. Whether it works we shall see down the line for August. But a few are DOA on arrival.
    It is still basically a month where you dump things that doesn't change because of the list in fact the list kinda enforces it. It is basically saying this movie won't have legs. I will say your point is not completely wrong because a quick look at list a lot of those films are early August so there is a niche I guess for a one film that will do good in early august make money before everyone goes back to school and couple of studios have start slotting movies there

Hitman's Bodyguard
    The Dark Tower

The Darkest Mind
    The Meg

I will call it an Optistmic Dumping grounds, It is where you drop a movie you spent a little money on and you hope it does good with no competition around but you really don't think it is going to that good. Apparently certain type of Action movies does good in august as well. Which is something I would have never notice before.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-12-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Don't forget GOTG 1 came out in August 2014. It did gangbusters at the BO at the time. Something WB and Paramount tried to emulate (along with the style and tone of GOTG) with Star Trek Beyond being released the last week of July 2016 and Suicide Squad being released in August 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Dora finished fourth with $17 million on a reported $49 million budget. Would that qualify as a bust, or is it too soon to make that determination? In any event, that's no way to launch a franchise.
    It will be one that we will have to wait and see if it has legs to last through August.

Mighty Member

LOL. so the take away is that August isn't quite as bad as January. in August they at least buy a nice plot of land and a tombtone... instead of January, where they just dump you on the side of the road. (aka, after Christmas and New Year's nobody is expected to have any spending money at all... at least in August there's a tiny bit left over from vacation, right?)

I'm surprised that Dora wasn't simply released direct-to-video... but it's a fairly stalwart franchise, so maybe we'll see two or three more movies that are, in fact, direct-to-video.

Dora is hard to tell yet. 4th place is not the best spot for it. Odd thing is it has a A plus cinemascore and has a higher RT rating then the lion king remake! What in the world? Ads did not look that good to me.

Overseas it made $2,500,000 (from bom)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...heexplorer.htm

Angry birds 2 is out next week also so who knows what it will make yet.