Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Well here we go again.... Sort of Spoilers for Friendly Neighborhood SP #5....

Well can someone Say deja vu all over again because I can.....spoilers:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...an-5-spoilers/
    end of spoilers

Here is how I feel about OMD references. Take it alway Kylo -

Last edited by Celgress; 04-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I did NOT like this issue at all.

It sealed the deal for me dropping this title.

Aside from just not feeling another trip to Death's Door for May, there was a moment here that stuck in my craw so badly, I just can't continue reading the book.

After May tells Peter about her condition, she asks him to be with her the next day for her chemo treatment and Peter responds with "...I've got a lot going on." or words to that effect.

Yes, eventually he does the right thing and shows up for her but that he would be such a sh*t and not immediately agree to be there struck me as so un-Peter like that I knew that this would be my last issue. Had he agreed but then his ability to get there was put in jeopardy because he had to handle something as Spider-Man, I could go along with that - as utterly cliched as it would have been. But that he would hesitate even for a second to be there for May...no, I don't buy that. That's just bad writing on the part of Tom Taylor.

I was on the fence about this book anyway but this issue made up my mind for me.

I'll be interested in hearing where they go with this May storyline - and I hope it doesn't wind up being as exploitative as it seems - but I won't follow along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Here is how I feel about OMD references. Take it always Kylo -

Yeah it’s really beating a dead horse by this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I did NOT like this issue at all.

It sealed the deal for me dropping this title.

Aside from just not feeling another trip to Death's Door for May, there was a moment here that stuck in my craw so badly, I just can't continue reading the book.

After May tells Peter about her condition, she asks him to be with her the next day for her chemo treatment and Peter responds with "...I've got a lot going on." or words to that effect.

Yes, eventually he does the right thing and shows up for her but that he would be such a sh*t and not immediately agree to be there struck me as so un-Peter like that I knew that this would be my last issue. Had he agreed but then his ability to get there was put in jeopardy because he had to handle something as Spider-Man, I could go along with that - as utterly cliched as it would have been. But that he would hesitate even for a second to be there for May...no, I don't buy that. That's just bad writing on the part of Tom Taylor.

I was on the fence about this book anyway but this issue made up my mind for me.

I'll be interested in hearing where they go with this May storyline - and I hope it doesn't wind up being as exploitative as it seems - but I won't follow along.
    But Peter always hesitates before doing the right thing. The entire series was founded on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    But Peter always hesitates before doing the right thing. The entire series was founded on it.
    Not like this.

Sure, Peter is still prone to screwing up but under no circumstances do I believe that, after hearing May tell him about her diagnosis and ask for him to be with her for support, that he'd mumble some lame excuse to get out of it.

In ASM, we just saw him ignore the Rhino's pleas for help in order to rush back into a collapsing restaurant in order to save May.

That's true to his character and that's exactly the response he would always have at the slightest hint that May was in trouble.

Sometimes his responsibilities as Spidey interfere with that and make him look uncaring but this is an instance where he actually flat out acts uncaring - or at least cowardly. It's a bad fumble on the part of Taylor.

Oh, boy. Kinda taking this as a good sign that I never got into post-OMD ASM. The waffling over OMD has gotten old and unfunny a long time ago.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Oh, boy. Kinda taking this as a good sign that I never got into post-OMD ASM.
    Oh, for crying out loud. One dud issue and one (so far) questionable storyline (there's every possibility that this will end up being worthwhile - I'm just not willing to stick with it) in no way outweighs the vast amount of often excellent material that's been generated in the more than decade plus worth of stories post-OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The waffling over OMD has gotten old and unfunny a long time ago.
    I don't think there's any waffling over OMD here, per se. It's just revisiting an old trope of the book - May's precarious health - that really should be retired.

Wow...um...I actually really enjoyed this issue but I seem to be in the minority here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Well can someone Say deja vu all over again because I can.....spoilers:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...an-5-spoilers/
    end of spoilers
    Boy... that.... looks ridiculously stupid. Spidey breaks a car thief's arm and THEN helps him to escape the police in a stolen car because he feels bad about it?

And that's not even getting into the lazy shock gimmick of giving May breast cancer, when we all know she's un-killable in modern Spidey books. If ASM#400, the perfect send-off for her didn't stick, then this ham-fisted storyline in a satellite book shouldn't. Plus, Peter saying he can't accompany her to chemo is just skeevy, and not like him at all. He'd go to hell and back for her. He has. Say what you will about OMD (which is also terrible), but that's exactly what he did in that story.

This is a bad book. It's poorly written with terrible characterization. Sorry, but it is. Trading 'Spec' and Chip for this was a raw deal.

I will say it's going to be tough to balance both Taylor's take and Spencer's take on the Web-Slinger. Clearly they both reference each other based on recent ASM issues, but it'll be....intriguing to see how it all plays out.

Regardless, I'll still read and buy both books!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Oh, for crying out loud. One dud issue and one (so far) questionable storyline (there's every possibility that this will end up being worthwhile - I'm just not willing to stick with it) in no way outweighs the vast amount of often excellent material that's been generated in the more than decade plus worth of stories post-OMD.

I don't think there's any waffling over OMD here, per se. It's just revisiting an old trope of the book - May's precarious health - that really should be retired.
    I have long been critical of using the "Aunt May In Peril" over and over again. That said, I will give the story a chance to play out. But if it involves another deal to keep Aunt May alive in exchange for OMD Part 2, then I am done. No more reading, ( even back issues), no more following and I will not even comment on this story. Why? I will take it as giving the finger to me and long time Spider-Man fans, and I am.not going to waste my time getting disgusted over and over again. Better off sticking to sports.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I have long been critical of using the "Aunt May In Peril" over and over again. That said, I will give the story a chance to play out. But if it involves another deal to keep Aunt May alive in exchange for OMD Part 2, then I am done. No more reading, ( even back issues), no more following and I will not even comment on this story. Why? I will take it as giving the finger to me and long time Spider-Man fans, and I am.not going to waste my time getting disgusted over and over again. Better off sticking to sports.
    You're saying you would quit comics ENTIRELY?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    You're saying you would quit comics ENTIRELY?
    That is correct. The only comic that interests me is Spider-Man. When I was younger, I used to like Daredevil, Thor and the FF but now it is only Spider-Man. If Marvel decides that OMD is so great that they must double down on it, then I will simply agree to disagree and walk away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is correct. The only comic that interests me is Spider-Man. When I was younger, I used to like Daredevil, Thor and the FF but now it is only Spider-Man. If Marvel decides that OMD is so great that they must double down on it, then I will simply agree to disagree and walk away.
    Did you play the video game?