Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default "Why Are Marvel's X-Men Comics So Terrible Right Now?"

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-are-marve...now-1784655091

This sums up my problem with the current mainline x-men books. The only current X-men book I like- not counting the wolverine books- is X-men 92.
    Last edited by LocoSteve; 08-03-2016 at 04:14 PM.

BANNED

Marvel lost a bunch of very good writers over the past year or so to creator-owned publishers.

The good writers Marvel has remaining, they're not going to put on a franchise they don't have the movie rights to.

So here we are.

BANNED

EXM and UXM are fine,

BANNED

I read some of this earlier and it's a big load of crap. A lot of comic fans seem to have a problem separating their perception from reality. I happen to like Uncanny but I understand that doesn't mean much to anyone. According just to Diamond's numbers though, all 3 X-titles average around a pretty solid 50K a month so they can't be THAT bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    I read some of this earlier and it's a big load of crap. A lot of comic fans seem to have a problem separating their perception from reality. I happen to like Uncanny but I understand that doesn't mean much to anyone. According just to Diamond's numbers though, all 3 X-titles average around a pretty solid 50K a month so they can't be THAT bad.
    True, if we do the average sales of the x-men books, it's better than the average sales of Avengers book and Inhumans books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Based Stickler View Post
    Or a good portion of X-Fans are exceedingly loyal.

Which I was, until very recently. Barring any shake-ups, I'll just be picking up Uncanny starting this month. And mostly just one for character.

BANNED

No Gambit. That's enough to leave me out of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Which I was, until very recently. Barring any shake-ups, I'll just be picking up Uncanny starting this month. And mostly just one for character.
    Yeah, I did the same thing after the first arcs. The only strange part is I usually really like Lemire's stuff but Extraordinary just did nothing for me. Everything's temporary though. When the pendulum shifts, I'll be here for it (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Agree basically almost everything that comes out of mutants buy.

I am a collector for years but this is the first time feel so unhappy and for the first time in 10 years stopped to buy a mutant comic (All New X-mens).

I'm not a fan of the plot extinction in my opinion it ended with what was best in the stories of the X-mens they are no longer a group that fighting for change in society and became a group of survivors. The concept of family is lost, the concept of united minorities was lost and now several comics from Marvel has room for heroes of other nationalities and races not to mention the similar form of Inhumans concede powers related to birth and DNA having the mist as a catalyst instead of the gene X.

In other words everything that made the X-mens being special and interesting have not already applied for a few years. I believe that few readers can identify with a group of survivors that fight against the extinction of their race and serves as a punching bag for all the other heroes and spending more time fighting each other than united against their enemies.

Not even a little excited with IvX (there is a reason for I come first X as well as AvX) but hope this at least put an end to this plot. Would be very happy if do not hear the words extinction/decimation or Inhumans in another comic mutant for the next 10 years.

Fortunately Lemire seem to agree which demonstrates certain things are above writers:

Jeff Lemire: Obviously, mutantkind has gone from one tragedy to another and I think that they and readers are ready for a new day. So I think for them, this conflict is a necessary evil. Something they must endure to hopefully see the light again.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26429/...#ixzz4G8u4yQvi

I really putting my hopes on it because I'm getting very close to the saturation level.

Can anyone tell me if the current sales are better than at the time of Bendis?
    Last edited by Knives; 08-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.

I agree with pretty much everything the article said.

I think a lot of it, story-wise, is a corner they backed themselves into, though.

"Cyclops wound up becoming the central personality of mutant-kind, pulling together their remnants into a small, defiant nation about a decade back. Even after his personality was written towards harsh extremism and he killed Professor X, he was still the irresistible vector..."

This is a point that has been brought up many times over the years. The Spiderman franchise is about Spiderman. If Spidey is gone, what is to keep people interested in the franchise? The same goes for Ironman, Hulk and so on. The pivotal focus of the X-Men for over a decade has been Cyclops, with Wolverine as his opposing character that so many loved to hate. (Honorable mention to Beast for being written as the doom of the world/mutants/whatever.) Anyway, Cyke and Wolverine are both now gone. The fans that have come on board during that time frame never learned to view X-Men as the team(s) franchise it was intended to be, and used to be. With a few exceptions (Hope "plot device" Summers, for example), no other characters have been the focal point of the franchise narrative in a long time. There have been one off stories --- someone turning into a horseman again, someone joining the Avengers, and so on --- but nothing that took the X-Men as a whole forward. To be honest, the current books read like the writers really don't know what to do with them anymore. The characterization is flat, at best, and it feels like everyone is in a holding pattern, waiting on something . Are we waiting on someone to come up with a hook again, waiting on the next relaunch, or what?
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 08-01-2016 at 09:38 PM.

world that hates & fears trudreck's Avatar

i like how this guy's example of X-MEN done rite is jason aaron & late 2000s stuff.
    i enjoy the current X-MEN titles a lot more than what seems to be the general response ... but i think the last time the books were anything special was morrison's NEW X-MEN. i would rate the quality now as 'consistent' - which is damning with faint praise. i do agree with the writer of the article that it wouldn't hurt if the X-MEN felt cool & sexy more than frightened & sad. but i think marvel in general hasn't really exploited the angst-driven narratives that defined them for so long in a while now ... its doom & gloom or sitcom style antics. regardless of what direction the x-books go, i still love reading about these characters & their adventures, and i think the x-books are in a better place now than they were post-HOUSE OF M. the x-line has spent most of thee 21st century feeling editorially driven - i'd love to see somebody make the books their own again. (of course we can only imagine the barriers currently preventing such a thing from happening)

BANNED

How to summarize this article:
    "Old stories are better."
    The power of nostalgia... During Legacy Virus mutants were dying and no one cared, today we have information that at least some Avengers and some inhumans care and even help... terrible ...

Knives :
    The concept of family is lost,
    For many years... And for the most of this time X men was growing...
    And if you need to read about family You can always read nostalgia titles like stories about Rogue
    Let's be honest. They are less popular than main X men books. I wonder why?
    there is a reason for I come first X as well as AvX
    alphabetic order?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic Member

I can not take a honest opinion, since I am part of the problem, I hate completely the 3 teams, but I just keep buying each number, I hate my lack of willingness to leave my attitude of cheerleader X. Although I agree that have ceased to be recommended for casual readers.

He sort of right but I totally agree with the article. I go to more below.
    I have mention my problems with x-box go back a while. Chuck Austin/Grant Morrison days. It was start of the end of x-men to me. There were good moments. Josh Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Wolverine and X-Men, Madrox's X-Factor. Terrgan mist thing is so dumb and contrived. Forced stupidity cause they haven't done enough to make x-men lives worse since House Of M? X-Men books feel so far from x-men books that its hard to even care about them anymore. I hope for better things to come out of inhumans vs x-men but except them to get shelved like Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by Supermutant2099; 08-01-2016 at 11:19 PM.

BANNED

And to add, i think Death of X should havr come first before civil war xmen.