Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Minority Displacement Thread

As fans we can change this. We can let our complaints be heard. We need to start but first a quick run through.

Storm is a list, Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman. She has been displaced, minimized and silenced for over a decade by the X-office.

Monet is now a mutant eating vampire.

Synch, Bedlam and other black male characters are dead.

Bishop is barely usable.

Bling is freezing during battle while failing to live her dreams.

That's just the black characters. Not one is shining right now, honestly all of them should be.

Skin is still dead as are Feral and Thorn.

Sunfire is in limbo, karma too, Sunpyre is dead. All the Asian mutants are completely invisible or gone with the only exception being Armor. She hasn't had any development in years.

Let's talk about the native characters. Warpath is doing great but no one else is. Forge is wall paper and a stage 4 creeper, Dani is powerless and not being used.

All of the POC characters are being mismanaged and abused. This thread is about pointing out how the X-office needs to do better empower characters that aren't white. No one is bashing characters for their skin color just pointing out the X-men are now doing a really bad job at portraying people of color when they were once the vanguards of it.
    Last edited by Chaos Reigns; 01-25-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Its the constant battle between moving forward and nostalgia.

the just look ate the legacy character battles, not jut marvel but DC. Its a raw deal, but hell and least they don't get written into the ground like Cyclops and Captain Marvel.

BANNED

Feel free to list other characters. It's 2018 and it's sad that fans of POC characters are getting shafted by the place that was once a such a supportive space.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I think Sunfire was in Avengers recently? Not sure. Frenzy is MIA. Forge too. Cecelia Reyes despite the movie... I think I recall her being used a support character somewhere, but I'm not certain?
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

A very minor non white character I liked is Washout from Tieri's Weapon X.

This is a big problem with the X-Men today. An all white, straight, male (predominately) team doesn't work with the premise of the series. The X-Men doesn't feel progressive like it once did.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Jubilee has been turned into a vampire, then was eventually thrown into the background w/o much development until Strain came along. After this current series, it appears she's going back into Limbo until all the Axel Alonso stuff is finished.

Sunspot was race-changed with his blackness taken away. In older comics, he was clearly mixed-black and when the white kids beat him up, they all but used a racial slur toward him. Then somehow, he was no longer black, same with Monet once she left GenX.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-25-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Incredible Member

New X-Mec comic, X-Men:White, lol. Pretty white people with problems, LOL

Astonishing Member

This is more of a Marvel problem imo. As in not xmen exclusive. Don't forget in Civil War Goliath died, and Civil War 2 War Machine died.
    If they have to kill characters for cheap drama they will probably kill the non whites. Both Skin and Synch ended that way.

Imo the worst that happened in the X-Men is Bishops character assasination.

At least Blink is getting a team and she got natural hair ?

Also the new New Mutants team being all-white is gross.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    New X-Mec comic, X-Men:White, lol. Pretty white people with problems, LOL
    Don't tempt me, I might buy it out of spite

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    This is more of a Marvel problem imo. As in not xmen exclusive. Don't forget in Civil War Goliath died, and Civil War 2 War Machine died.
    If they have to kill characters for cheap drama they will probably kill the non whites. Both Skin and Synch ended that way.

Imo the worst that happened in the X-Men is Bishops character assasination.
    This is a media problem in general. No matter then genre or venue, the white character or people get most of the attention, praise and push. And the minorities...not so much.

Society in general has done a big regression with race. You saw more diversity in the 70's than you do today. lol

Like black female characters not being allowed to have anything other than straight or wavy hair. Then the curls and braids get reserved for the ugly villainous black women. lol

Not an Xample, But the 70's, you had the interracial coupling of Danny Rand x Misty Knight.
    Danny x Misty.jpg
    A dark-skinned attractive black woman with natural hair. Dating a white guy on top of it. You don't see much of that today. And Hell Misty & Danny were finally broken up for good, and I don't think their relationship got any attention except the Secret Love story in 2015.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Question. Would Americans consider a Spaniard like Empath to be a minority?

Astonishing Member

Sauron/Lykos is technically Argentine. He was born in Tierra del Fuego and moved to the USA (with Tania and her father) as a teen when his father died.

I've always wanted to see that acknowledged, perhaps by answering in Spanish to a Spanish speaking hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Question. Would Americans consider a Spaniard like Empath to be a minority?
    Very unlikely, he's either white, jew or POC, no middle ground