Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I found another evidence that Spectacular is retconned to take place after Secret Empire:

This is from issue 299, Webware is scratched out from Tinkerer's shop.

BANNED

Man, dick move Loki

spoilers:
    Peter uses his favor to save an innocent who died during a battle against supernatural wasps Peter accidentally released, but then the readers learn Loki manipulated Peter into the whole thing so he wouldn't owe Peter anything anymore. Also we get a nod to OMD and Clone Conspiracy when Peter brings up other ill-fated deals
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Man, dick move Loki

spoilers:
    Peter uses his favor to save an innocent who died during a battle against supernatural wasps Peter accidentally released, but then the readers learn Loki manipulated Peter into the whole thing so he wouldn't owe Peter anything anymore. Also we get a nod to OMD and Clone Conspiracy when Peter brings up other ill-fated deals
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Words cannot express how big a waste this was. It was in character for Peter, but, man, anticlimactic much?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    spoilers:
    Words cannot express how big a waste this was. It was in character for Peter, but, man, anticlimactic much?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    On top of that, digging up such an old plot point only to waste it on what basically amounted to a filler issue. And if Marvel isn't gonna do anything about OMD, will they stop teasing it so much lately?
    end of spoilers

I liked it. I was hesitant about the return of poverty parker, but Slott found a way to make a good issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I liked it. I was hesitant about the return of poverty parker, but Slott found a way to make a good issue.
    Yes, this was very good. A solid one-and-done that still carried plot threads forward. I liked that Dan returned to the favor owed to Peter and that it played out in a way that demonstrated Loki's artful gift for manipulation and also Peter's selfless altruism. I also thought it was fitting that in revisiting a long lost thread from JMS' run that Dan also referred to Peter's status as a Spider Totem, something that's barely been noted since JMS left.

Nice job of closing the door on Peter and Bobbi's romantic relationship, also, and the end scene promises some bonkers action to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    spoilers:
    On top of that, digging up such an old plot point only to waste it on what basically amounted to a filler issue. And if Marvel isn't gonna do anything about OMD, will they stop teasing it so much lately?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's to bait naíve fans lol.

It's funny I can tell right away when Gage is also writing, characterization just suddenly improves.

Loki's plan is just stupid, he moved that vase in the living room, brought Spider-Man there, and just assumed that Spidey would get angry enough to punch it, there are just so many ways that could not work it's not even funny lol.

Overall alright issue, just wish they didn't keep showing Norman's stuff as post credits and just leave all those scenes for ASM 796 as a prologue for Go Down Swinging, plus bringing back that favor from so many years ago just to waste it like that? Come on lol.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, this was very good. A solid one-and-done that still carried plot threads forward. I liked that Dan returned to the favor owed to Peter and that it played out in a way that demonstrated Loki's artful gift for manipulation and also Peter's selfless altruism. I also thought it was fitting that in revisiting a long lost thread from JMS' run that Dan also referred to Peter's status as a Spider Totem, something that's barely been noted since JMS left.

Nice job of closing the door on Peter and Bobbi's romantic relationship, also, and the end scene promises some bonkers action to come.
    I agree, very good issue. Just a few more left with Slott. With MJ showing up again next arc, I have high hopes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

Just a guess, but I imagine we'll see something tragic/awful happen very soon (#797, probably) that makes the loss of the favor sting even more. It's a very Slott (and generally, Spider-man) plot twist for Peter to do something vaguely dumb/wasteful/impetuous and then have the consequences be unimaginably out of proportion w/the initial offense.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Just a guess, but I imagine we'll see something tragic/awful happen very soon (#797, probably) that makes the loss of the favor sting even more. It's a very Slott (and generally, Spider-man) plot twist for Peter to do something vaguely dumb/wasteful/impetuous and then have the consequences be unimaginably out of proportion w/the initial offense.
    Well we know Aunt May isn't ever going away so she is safe. Has MJ been announced for any future Iron man books because if not, maybe she dies and Marvel can finally distance themselves from those of us who liked her.

BANNED

ASM 975 is being sold on e-bay for $15, largely due to it's ending

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...-selling-ebay/

Though having a callback to OMD may have helped it a bit also, even if Bleeding Cool don't reckon so

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Well we know Aunt May isn't ever going away so she is safe. Has MJ been announced for any future Iron man books because if not, maybe she dies and Marvel can finally distance themselves from those of us who liked her.
    Not long as RYV and the daily strip are still a thing

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    It's been 400 issues since the last time Aunt May died. She might be due, although it'd be really hard to top that issue - it's a heart breaker. Also, if you really think that Slott writes stories just to tease the 'marriage' fans, killing Aunt May would definitely qualify - saving her was the reason the marriage had to go (in universe) in the first place

I wasn't actually thinking of Aunt May or MJ, weirdly. I was thinking of something with Harry, Normie, or Stanley Osborn. Norman's quest is clearly supposed to, at every stage, backfire on him. Getting the symbiote and then (unintentionally) killing/maiming a descendant would be in line with that while also really screwing with Peter and also hearken back to DeMatteis's run on Spec w/Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I found another evidence that Spectacular is retconned to take place after Secret Empire:

This is from issue 299, Webware is scratched out from Tinkerer's shop.
    Timing wise, it makes sense for Spec up until 300 to be set around the current issues of ASM (after Peter and Mockingbird broke up; before whatever happens in "Go Down Swinging")
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's been 400 issues since the last time Aunt May died. She might be due, although it'd be really hard to top that issue - it's a heart breaker. Also, if you really think that Slott writes stories just to tease the 'marriage' fans, killing Aunt May would definitely qualify - saving her was the reason the marriage had to go (in universe) in the first place

I wasn't actually thinking of Aunt May or MJ, weirdly. I was thinking of something with Harry, Normie, or Stanley Osborn. Norman's quest is clearly supposed to, at every stage, backfire on him. Getting the symbiote and then (unintentionally) killing/maiming a descendant would be in line with that while also really screwing with Peter and also hearken back to DeMatteis's run on Spec w/Harry.
    Honesty when I first heard about brand new day and that Spiderman risk his marriage for Aunt May I was piss cause Im wondering she's already old who's to say if she would have even lived till the end of the year? Then I started reading the comics and I'm still wondering what's her purpose especially now she doesn't know he is spiderman? I feel like she holds back spiderman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Like that time he let a random thief go because it "wasn't his job" to stop thieves and said thief later killed his Uncle Ben after breaking into the Parker household?
    The spider is always on the hunt.