Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't get it. At all. Guess I'm too out touch to be hoping for modern animation to come anywhere even remotely close to this.
    At the core they are motivated by the same thing: make the characters/scenes easier to animate. The problem is that Cal-Arts have taken stylized character designs to the point of absurdity. The problem of having one particular school of thought dominating the entire industry.

None of y'all grew up watching Cow and Chicken, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage the cowardly dog, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and a bunch of old shows from Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon? This style is not new.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

As of now, the animated series does not seem interesting. Although I will be interested to know the thoughts/opinions of those who do end up watching it.

OAN: Has there been any major interaction between Atlantis & Themyscira/PI post-Flashpoint? Aquaman and Wonder Woman have obviously been team-mates, but what, if any, is the relationship between the two nations/cultures?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    None of y'all grew up watching Cow and Chicken, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Courage the cowardly dog, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and a bunch of old shows from Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon? This style is not new.
    It's not so much the style as the material it's being used to adapt that bothers me.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The style isn't new but does EVERY show need to have it?

Maybe because as a kid I watched Japanese anime so my expectations about animation is higher. But I believe even today's kids would enjoy that kind of anime instead of this Aquaman animation stuff. I regret that kids are exposed to this art when they can have much better.

That said, I dream of the day US animation can reach this level not just for kids stuff.

Last edited by Goldrake; 02-19-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Maybe because as a kid I watched Japanese anime so my expectations about animation is higher. But I believe even today's kids would enjoy that kind of anime instead of this Aquaman animation stuff. I regret that kids are exposed to this art when they can have much better.

That said, I dream of the day US animation can reach this level not just for kids stuff.

Kids enjoy shows of many different art styles, both intricate and simplistic. It just depends on how well it lends itself to the project and how well the show is produced.

I grew up watching tons of anime that was overly detailed and some of my favorite stuff is the earlier 70s and 80s anime with cleaner lines. Some of the later day stuff that had more slick designs and color was also excellent.

Likewise, a single frame of BTAS looks a lot better than a lot of the more sophisticated animation in the Marvel animated movies.

Yes, this looks ugly, but an irreverent Aquaman cartoon could be great fun so I'm reserving judgment.

Whipping out Princess Mononoke in comparison to this Aquaman cartoon is like going to McDonald’s and wondering why they don’t have caviar on their menu. I’m sure every animator would love to produce something on Ghibli’s level, if they were given the massive budget and years worth of time necessary to do so. It’s always a money issue, so they gotta work within the confines of what they’re given.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Whipping out Princess Mononoke in comparison to this Aquaman cartoon is like going to McDonald’s and wondering why they don’t have caviar on their menu. I’m sure every animator would love to produce something on Ghibli’s level, if they were given the massive budget and years worth of time necessary to do so. It’s always a money issue, so they gotta work within the confines of what they’re given.
    read again I did not compare it with Aquaman, but with US animation in general. Also there is no need to reach Ghibli level but standard japanese anime will also do. Don't think that those anime lets say saint seiya tv series required massive budgets
    Last edited by Goldrake; 02-19-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Williamson confirmed in his WB interview that there are plans for Arthur beyond just JL, but no more info than that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Williamson confirmed in his WB interview that there are plans for Arthur beyond just JL, but no more info than that.
    yeah he said that in various interviews - they aren't having a book for the sake of having one, in my opinion its a good thing. They are looking for the writer who can come up with the best pitch. Useless having a writer that gives us a book which doesn't appeal to readers and fans. I am of the opinion that KSD run (which I liked) must have taught some lessons to DC, in not doing stretched controversial takes in Aquaman. Personally I would follow a Johns and Parker approach they worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I hope whatever these plans are also involve wearing shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope whatever these plans are also involve wearing shirts.
    forget that unfortunately, in the upcoming Justice league he hasn't. Same goes for long hair and beard, they retouched the original mendonca designs in Aquaman 66.
    They have no intention of anything we wish, since he is shirtless, long hair and beard he returned to be a non seller, maybe a coincidence maybe not.

BANNED

forget that unfortunately, in the upcoming Justice league he hasn't. Same goes for long hair and beard, they retouched the original mendonca designs in Aquaman 66.
    They have no intention of anything we wish, since he is shirtless, long hair and beard he returned to be a non seller, maybe a coincidence maybe not.
    One YouTube video I watched claimed it was a great run it was just a bad time for the direction of the run.

The movie was action packed and adventurous the run was more about exploring who Aquaman is and more introspective than looking at the world around him.

read again I did not compare it with Aquaman, but with US animation in general. Also there is no need to reach Ghibli level but standard japanese anime will also do. Don't think that those anime lets say saint seiya tv series required massive budgets
    Doesn't require big budgets cause the animators are usually underpaid.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/7/2...gelion-netflix

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.