Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Roundman View Post
    Does anyone remember the Marvel-DC crossover from the mid-1990s? Remember the two Brothers- one red, one blue- each personifying their respective Comic multiverses (one Marvel, one DC). They were depicted as dwarfing the power of the LT. Now, we have Marvel collapsing its alternate realities in Secret War, and we have DC collapsing its alternative realities in Convergence. We have the LT dead. We have the Marvel cinematic universes in ascendance, and the DC cinematic universe floundering.

Everything is leading up to the big announcement- Disney secretly bought DC from Time Warner! The end result of all of this will be Marvel and DC combined into the same universe, with the "Brothers" merged into one Red and Blue entity at the very top of the cosmic heirarchy! Superman will make a surprise appearance in the Age of Ultron movie!

It all makes sense now...
    Makes more sense than a co-incidence that two companies came up with the same storyline for a big event.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Makes more sense than a co-incidence that two companies came up with the same storyline for a big event.
    Oh, I hope not. I can't see Warner Brothers giving up DC...yet.

While I believe the two universes are connected, and while I'm sure much of DC and Marvel would agree with that in some way, I think the two worlds should stay separate. Forever. That is how nature and God intended it.
    Mine did. I bought and read New Avengers 26 - 29 when I heard about Secret Wars. I realized that the story seemed great but knew that I was missing a great deal. I ended up buying the entire runs of Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity. I'm a paper guy, so I paid the premium for having actual copies of the comics (or the TPBs). It was expensive, but I have no regrets. I'm all caught up now, with the benefit that the whole story is fresh in my mind.
    This really is expensive. I don't buy that many comics, and I've been getting most of my information from these very, very, VERY detailed discussions and wiki. I know I'm missing a lot, but I just don't have the money for all this. Of course, with all the new issues that will be coming out of Secret Wars, it will make for a good culling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This really is expensive. I don't buy that many comics, and I've been getting most of my information from these very, very, VERY detailed discussions and wiki. I know I'm missing a lot, but I just don't have the money for all this. Of course, with all the new issues that will be coming out of Secret Wars, it will make for a good culling.
    Through a combination of Amazon, Ebay, and comic stores for the latest issues, I bought the whole Hickman Avengers + New Avengers run plus Infinity for around $230. I haven't bought too many comic books for the past few years (my comic following tends to go through phases; during my last phase I was in for the Civil War - Planet Hulk - Secret Invasion period, but burnt out during Secret Invasion), so I rationalized that $230 as money that I would have spent over the past 3 years had I been keeping up with the story in real time.

I don't think that catching up through Wiki and these discussions would be satisfying. The whole Builder angle in particular seems like it would be hard to appreciate without reading the stories.

It would be much cheaper to do the Marvel Online subscription, but I prefer having paper copies that I can own and always go back and re-read.
    Last edited by Roundman; 03-01-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I think I did the math. I tend to spend between $350-500 a year on comics. I did the math a few years ago. But I don't spend much money on much else, and I have few other vices. I know at least two of the books I get each month will be cancelled in Secret Wars, and nothing else of the new titles really has caught my interest.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I don't think that catching up through Wiki and these discussions would be satisfying. The whole Builder angle in particular seems like it would be hard to appreciate without reading the stories.
    I would promote this notion. I'm frequently flipping back through issue as it is now whenever I read a new one. There's enough detail in the issues that it doesn't come out right in condensed wiki's and summaries.
    I make love, you make me sick.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I would promote this notion. I'm frequently flipping back through issue as it is now whenever I read a new one. There's enough detail in the issues that it doesn't come out right in condensed wiki's and summaries.
    Wiki is basically Cliff Notes. A person can miss a lot of things by only looking at a Wiki summary.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I think I did the math. I tend to spend between $350-500 a year on comics. I did the math a few years ago. But I don't spend much money on much else, and I have few other vices. I know at least two of the books I get each month will be cancelled in Secret Wars, and nothing else of the new titles really has caught my interest.
    You might spend less by picking up trades. You can get discounts by ordering them online.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Wiki is basically Cliff Notes. A person can miss a lot of things by only looking at a Wiki summary.
    Yes, but sometimes it's the only way, especially when an issue is rare or you can't afford a trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    You might spend less by picking up trades. You can get discounts by ordering them online.
    You know, the math is weird. When I last used the solicits to figure out my spending, it came out to just $200 and something, but then when I calculate how much I actually spend, it's more than that. But yes, trades would be a good idea, but I'm so impatient!

You know, the math is weird. When I last used the solicits to figure out my spending, it came out to just $200 and something, but then when I calculate how much I actually spend, it's more than that. But yes, trades would be a good idea, but I'm so impatient!
    I know the feeling. I started buying trades exclusively about six years ago. I went digital last year. I have enough things to do to take my mind off new comics. I just avoid spoilers.
    When the fire blows

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I don't think I would've been able to backtrack like that. I lucked out. I was really into Hickman's F4/FF to the point it was in my top ten picks at the time. When he moved from there I followed him out to the start of his Avengers issues. Then it just happened to be the series leading into the event. Still too many comics and I sort of can't wait for Secret Wars so I can clean slate.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

I used to be spending $400 a year on comics. Then I realized a huge portion of this was on comics I only read for a few issues then dropped, so I began only reading Amazing and Ultimate Spider-Man. Lately I ended up accidentally dropping Ultimate in favor of adding a few new books.

How much of the backstory for Secret Wars is available through Marvel Unlimited? Isn't that priced around $10 USD per month?

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    How much of the backstory for Secret Wars is available through Marvel Unlimited? Isn't that priced around $10 USD per month?
    They are 6 months behind.

I think you got that wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    They are 6 months behind.
    But does it have Hickman's entire Fantastic Four run along with his Ultimates work?