Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ghost in the Shell remake

I just saw the ad' on IMDb. Well, to be honest, all I can say about it is that it offers up the absolute worst music in film history - I was seriously wondering if my computer's speakers were breaking!

The ad' itself doesn't make any kind of sense whatsoever, and the bland voice-overs that marred the original seem back in full effect, along with the awful, dragging dialogue that turns many off of "anime".

Still, for all the dialogue faults of the original, the idea behind it was sound (and rumoured to be the inspiring concept behind The Matrix), so I'm sure it has its fans... some are likely here, and will find this to be very good news indeed.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I love the comics. I like the tv show. The game was fun. The movies aren't bad, but the director tires me and they took out most of what I love about the comics in the first place.

The new movie/remake hasn't done anything to excite me.

Ghost in the Shell 2 reads like someone with so much blowing up their brain they made comics like a fiend stopping only to pee in a nearby bucket, shove an IV into their arm, and then made the next chapter. Mad energy. Ideas and beautiful visuals all over. Apologies and explanations from the author right on the page. "I'm sorry I thumbnailed, sketched, drew, digitally inked, digitally colored, then lettered this page this way, but it looks better this way than..." Skip two pages out of hundreds and you almost can't find the thread of the plot again. It just fires at full speed.

If they want to make a movie followup to what the comics were doing or what those earlier, animated movies, just like the later tv-based movies in Japan, they need to try new things, and try really insanely hard. Full bore or nothing. Blow up the engine and throw the engine out the window filmmaking.

And, judging from casting, ads, and promo, they're not gonna do that. They're going to try to make the Aeon Flux adaptation look innovative.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Wait, are you talking about the new cartoon/anime or the Hollywod version that's in the pipeline?

And wow, you made a good sell of getting me to check out the comics...

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    Wait, are you talking about the new cartoon/anime or the Hollywod version that's in the pipeline?

And wow, you made a good sell of getting me to check out the comics...
    I thought you meant there was an ad up for the Hollywood thing. I didn't realize there was, yet, another animated version coming.

And, yeah, you should absolutely check out the comics. I'd argue they're "Watchmen class," but I like them better than Watchmen, so.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Default Ghost in the Shell Movie

Anyone have the latest on the new live action movie now in production? I'm a big GITS fan but have very mixed feelings about this one.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeamContract View Post
    Anyone have the latest on the new live action movie now in production? I'm a big GITS fan but have very mixed feelings about this one.
    Yeah, me too. I've given up worrying about it and just accepted that it's happening. If nothing else, some people will see the movie and be interested enough to check out the manga, and anime and develop a real appreciation for the series. So that's one positive.

I was just at Comic Con and the effects house WETA had what appeared to be full size models of Robo-Geishas from the film, so apparently we'll be seeing them.

Robo-Geishas? You mean the ones from Innocence?

That's the first thing I thought of looking at the video. Beautiful work.
    Here's the link:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...veiled/.104674
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

Mighty Member

can somebody articulate why "Ghost in the Shell" is so profoundly Japanese and so extra-special that it could never survive cultural translation?

I've seen lots of people complain about how "it's so Japanese, that they'll ruin it by moving it to another country!". but, why is that?

is it because Japan, being denied militaristic imperialism sought after a form of technological colonialism-- exporting their technology all over the world as a form of economic domination when they were denied access to an army and navy to do this for them?

is it the idea that by putting all of their eggs in one giant technological basket they also make themselves more vulnerable? I mean, there's got to be some sort of explanation.

it can't be fearfully embracing the new technology of the internet... because cautiously and fearfully embracing new technology is something every nation in the world has done since the dawn of time.

maybe the problem is that America has this tendency to think that they're the exception to the rule... that what happened to everybody else could never happen to them. this might have been true of Japan 60 years ago-- thinking they were the best that humanity had to offer -- but that doesn't seem to be the place that 'Ghost in the Shell' is coming from. I could see how a fundamental difference in cultural attitudes and values could have people misunderstand the point of the story. but people don't say that. they just say "it's Japanese!".

(then again, cultural differences prompted most American critics to declare that the villain of the film "Akira" was the colonel! they must have been watching some other film because I don't see how anybody could watch "Akira" and fail to grasp that the villain was Tetsuo... the guy that literally everybody is trying to stop.)

I guess I'd just like somebody to explain WHY this movie was doomed to fail BECAUSE the idea is so uniquely Japanese. nobody's done it, really. I'm just speculating as to the reasons... because none of the reasons people have stated thus far make any sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    can somebody articulate why "Ghost in the Shell" is so profoundly Japanese and so extra-special that it could never survive cultural translation?

I've seen lots of people complain about how "it's so Japanese, that they'll ruin it by moving it to another country!". but, why is that?

is it because Japan, being denied militaristic imperialism sought after a form of technological colonialism-- exporting their technology all over the world as a form of economic domination when they were denied access to an army and navy to do this for them?

is it the idea that by putting all of their eggs in one giant technological basket they also make themselves more vulnerable? I mean, there's got to be some sort of explanation.

it can't be fearfully embracing the new technology of the internet... because cautiously and fearfully embracing new technology is something every nation in the world has done since the dawn of time.

maybe the problem is that America has this tendency to think that they're the exception to the rule... that what happened to everybody else could never happen to them. this might have been true of Japan 60 years ago-- thinking they were the best that humanity had to offer -- but that doesn't seem to be the place that 'Ghost in the Shell' is coming from. I could see how a fundamental difference in cultural attitudes and values could have people misunderstand the point of the story. but people don't say that. they just say "it's Japanese!".

(then again, cultural differences prompted most American critics to declare that the villain of the film "Akira" was the colonel! they must have been watching some other film because I don't see how anybody could watch "Akira" and fail to grasp that the villain was Tetsuo... the guy that literally everybody is trying to stop.)

I guess I'd just like somebody to explain WHY this movie was doomed to fail BECAUSE the idea is so uniquely Japanese. nobody's done it, really. I'm just speculating as to the reasons... because none of the reasons people have stated thus far make any sense.
    They can't because it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I'm sufficiently intrigued by these teasers to want to know more. I know it's probably not going to temper the outcry by some who will call this an act of "cultural appropriation" or "whitewashing." Those arguments cannot and will never be won. Ghost in the Shell is one of those cerebral, high-concept shows that's difficult to translate into a movie. But with someone like Scarlett Johansson behind it, I think it has the potential to be something special. Hopefully, the full trailer will give us a better idea of what to expect.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'm sufficiently intrigued by these teasers to want to know more. I know it's probably not going to temper the outcry by some who will call this an act of "cultural appropriation" or "whitewashing." Those arguments cannot and will never be won. Ghost in the Shell is one of those cerebral, high-concept shows that's difficult to translate into a movie. But with someone like Scarlett Johansson behind it, I think it has the potential to be something special. Hopefully, the full trailer will give us a better idea of what to expect.
    The most popular version of it is a movie.

There a fan made teaser using music from that movie

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeamContract View Post
    Robo-Geishas? You mean the ones from Innocence?
    robo geisha? I can't help but think of the 2009 movie by Noboru Iguchi. yeah, I know, it's kinda off-topic.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

It looks like Jupiter Ascending. I'll see it, in the longrun, but not sure if I'll spend theater money.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison