Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I feel like they wouldn’t kick Orlando off if they didn’t plan on Tamaki being the next long term writer, but given she’s been brought on to do some movie synergy I don’t know if she’ll last beyond whatever DC has planned after Death Metal and Endless Winter.
    Tynion's marching orders were to get Batman to #100 and hand it off, but plans changed and they kept him on following the good reception of his run. On Batman. Their flagship book.

Tamaki will stay on if sales uptick for Diana and positive word-of-mouth spreads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly? Nobody knows for sure. 5G was the plan under Didio, and it involved a long timeline starting in the late 30's or early 40's and stretching out into the 21st century. There's mountains of rumor but damn little that we know for a fact, beyond Diana being the first hero and the JSA existing alongside her. Didio showed off a WiP timeline at a con a while back and you can make out some details of it, though it was still a WiP, not final product.

We *know* that AT&T supported the plan, at least in the broad strokes, because they saw adaptation potential in it. We *know* that some creators disagreed with the idea. And we know that since Didio has left, the original 5G plans, whatever they were, have been changed. We don't know what was changed or how big the changes are. Current rumor says 5G will be a imprint, like a Batman Beyond near-future type thing, but that's just rumor. The only 5G things we know for fact is that Diana was the first hero, and Jay Garrick was around in WWII, and we only know this because WW and Flash 750 released before Didio got fired and the pandemic hit.

As for a reboot....we're getting one. That's been the endgame since 2016 and the start of Rebirth; continuity/history is broken, the heroes will have to fix it. Whether you want to call that a reboot or just a large scale retcon or whatever, the end result will be that continuity will be different than it is now, and supposedly Metal 2 is the book that will do this. As far as what continuity will look like.....Snyder (or someone) has called it an Anti-Crisis, where reality gets fixed instead of broken apart, and creators have talked about a "everything counts" approach. .
    Buuuut didntbthat just happen with Doomsday Clock? Everythingbexists because instead of continuity being destroyed, a new Earth gets splintered off with it's new reality. Done. Why are they messing with everything yet again when they just fixed it? Unless they're finally clearing up any confusion from questions and inconsistencies caused by Rebirth...

My take on it: DC's movers and shakers are incapable of story-telling (especially drama), and thus resort to moving around the basic building blocks in the hope that something sticks. Since they can't do drama, they depend on continuity to make people care about the characters. Thus the constant playing around with continuity.

(Note: the above shouldn't be taken that there are no people at DC who gets or can write interpersonal drama. E.g. Tom King tries, but sadly my impression is that he isn't that good at it, and so he still leans into continuity to feed it.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

My take on it: DC's movers and shakers are incapable of story-telling (especially drama), and thus resort to moving around the basic building blocks in the hope that something sticks. Since they can't do drama, they depend on continuity to make people care about the characters. Thus the constant playing around with continuity.
    I don't agree. If they were depending on continuity to make people care, they'd keep continuity, and not throw it out and start over all the time. I think they are trying for drama (that often falls flat) and throwing continuity under the bus for that sake. They just want big, splashy events to get people to buy (often successful) or relaunches and #1s to get people to buy (also often successful). I don't like it, but it's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Buuuut didntbthat just happen with Doomsday Clock? Everythingbexists because instead of continuity being destroyed, a new Earth gets splintered off with it's new reality. Done. Why are they messing with everything yet again when they just fixed it? Unless they're finally clearing up any confusion from questions and inconsistencies caused by Rebirth...
    Yup, they did exactly this with Doomsday Clock.

The whole Rebirth thing was Johns' baby, and Clock was supposed to fix the continuity (I think). Then stuff happened behind the scenes and Johns lost influence and Rebirth veered away from the original plan.

I think it was Death Metal, or maybe that Wally West generation zero story that was supposed to be part of FCBD, but somewhere recently they addressed Clock; Manhattan tried to fix reality and put things back the way he found them, but something got in the way of that and continuity is still broken. And now Metal 2 is supposed to fix it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't agree. If they were depending on continuity to make people care, they'd keep continuity, and not throw it out and start over all the time. I think they are trying for drama (that often falls flat) and throwing continuity under the bus for that sake. They just want big, splashy events to get people to buy (often successful) or relaunches and #1s to get people to buy (also often successful). I don't like it, but it's what I think.
    I mean it in a slightly different way. Since they can't tell stories about people, they instead try to tell stories about the continuity, and rearranging the pieces they have rather than trying to tell new stories and create new pieces.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Editors usually work on several titles or books. Always have, always will.

I don't care if the editor of Wonder Woman also edits Superman or Batman or Uncle Scrooge or Archie or Real Erotic Adventures, as long as they do a good job as editors.
    I don't care whose name is on what comic. Robert Kanigher's name was on a lot of comics, too, ..and look where that got us. It doesn't look like this comic is an editorial priority, ..even after a blockbuster movie and all that. Except for the occasional, uncommonly devoted writer, who is also a fan, doesn't look like this comic's got anybody, who really cares...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-01-2020 at 01:29 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!