Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm not offended at more female heroes but is she set up to be an actual hero or is she going to end up a villain?
    Personally, I think we could use more villains...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally, I think we could use more villains...
    I'm with you. Especially really powerful female villains.

I actually hope she stays a villain. Villains can hold their own series when they’re appealing enough. Also, I feel like there were two ways to take Ripley:

1) The villain route that they’ve currently taken. Carol’s rogues gallery is relatively weak and ill-defined compared to other characters of her calibrate. I liked Star as an actual threat to her, someone who could go toe to toe with Carol and used technology to weaken her.
    2) Ripley could have been her protege. Captain America had Bucky. Iron Man has had Ironheart recently. Hulk had Amadeus Cho as an associated character. If Carol is gonna be the major character they want to sell her as, Ripley could have been an ingenue in need of training. Although, admittedly, I think reforming her into this role is a much more interesting perspective as it would set her apart from other protégés. She does have a “dark Supergirl” aesthetic about her.

I liked Ripley, her origin and her design. I preferred her longer hair. I don’t know why Marvel feels the need to cut a characters hair every time they want her to be taken seriously. They’ve done it with a host of female heroes when launching them in other series or roles: Carol, Kitty Pryde, Wanda Maximoff etc. The list goes on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I actually hope she stays a villain. Villains can hold their own series when they’re appealing enough. Also, I feel like there were two ways to take Ripley:

1) The villain route that they’ve currently taken. Carol’s rogues gallery is relatively weak and ill-defined compared to other characters of her calibrate. I liked Star as an actual threat to her, someone who could go toe to toe with Carol and used technology to weaken her.
    I wouldn't mind her staying a villain either. As you said, Carol doesn't have a lot of good villains that are exclusively hers. Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL series made an effort to introduce some new villains for her--but so far no one has really brought any of them back and developed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    2) Ripley could have been her protege. Captain America had Bucky. Iron Man has had Ironheart recently. Hulk had Amadeus Cho as an associated character. If Carol is gonna be the major character they want to sell her as, Ripley could have been an ingenue in need of training. Although, admittedly, I think reforming her into this role is a much more interesting perspective as it would set her apart from other protégés. She does have a “dark Supergirl” aesthetic about her.
    Its an interesting thought, but I think that is the sort of role that Hazmat is already intended to fill in the book (as was Arana before her, back in the MS MARVEL series).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm with you. Especially really powerful female villains.
    Yeah, too many villains are crossing the line lately anyway. I'm okay with the occasional bad girl who isn't *that* bad, like Diamondback or Black Cat, toeing the line, but I'd wouldn't mind a few more Enchantress and Morgana le Fay types as well, who don't play both sides, but have firmly staked out their position on the wrong side of the good/evil divide (and having one who isn't a magical ranged caster, but more physically powerful and in your face, would be even cooler).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    BHhahahhahahahahahaha!

I could be wrong about this but I fully believe that this Marvel/Disney realizing they screwed the pouch so bad with Carol that they are trying to give fans an identical character that they can rebrand in a better light.

Testing the initial waters I'm sure but the overall idea still being pushed. LOL

The team at Marvel has completely lost touch of their audience and direction.

Edit:

So this just became an Appreciation Thread, so I will say the costume design is nice.
    Like they did with Richard Rider?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, too many villains are crossing the line lately anyway. I'm okay with the occasional bad girl who isn't *that* bad, like Diamondback or Black Cat, toeing the line, but I'd wouldn't mind a few more Enchantress and Morgana le Fay types as well, who don't play both sides, but have firmly staked out their position on the wrong side of the good/evil divide (and having one who isn't a magical ranged caster, but more physically powerful and in your face, would be even cooler).
    I was hoping that they'd do something with Power Princess in that respect. I don't recall if there was ever a Squadron Sinister version of her, but I'd definitely create one, make her the ruling authoritarian of her domain, and give her a world view and political interests that more often than not clashes with mainstream heroes. Plus, it would break up the boys club of earthly monarchs like Doom, Namor and T'Challa.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was hoping that they'd do something with Power Princess in that respect. I don't recall if there was ever a Squadron Sinister version of her, but I'd definitely create one, make her the ruling authoritarian of her domain, and give her a world view and political interests that more often than not clashes with mainstream heroes. Plus, it would break up the boys club of earthly monarchs like Doom, Namor and T'Challa.
    That could also be neat. As you say, lots of boy rulers, not so many girls. (I kind of liked Zaladane for a sort of 'Queen of the Savage Land,' but that was not meant to be. And Medusa taking over for Black Bolt just feels kind of off, since he's right there, and, frankly, she's a more usable superhero character than he is, and better suited to be off adventuring than sitting on a throne somewhere looking pensive, since she can actually talk...)

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

I was under the impression Ripley is going to be a villain? I really hope that's the case.

I'm really diggin' that preview.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

She's on the run because she escaped from prison (probably cut her hair as a disguise, though that would be blown as soon as she suits up), can't get a job, obviously can't claim benefits. How else is she supposed to get money unless she commits more crimes?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I was under the impression Ripley is going to be a villain? I really hope that's the case.

I'm really diggin' that preview.
    And yet, it's rare that a villain gets their own title this early in their existence. She will probably become a hero or antihero down the road, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    .... seems like a blonde Olivia Munn...

who are the other characters? I only recognize Jonah Jameson, and, uh, Peter Parker? (what's the connection to Star?)

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    .... seems like a blonde Olivia Munn...

who are the other characters? I only recognize Jonah Jameson, and, uh, Peter Parker? (what's the connection to Star?)
    It's a homenage to Ms Marvel #1 cover.
    ENiohJxW4AERxN_.jpg