Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

High school and college it was Logan. I was a hot head, and despite not being a small guy, was small for a Division I offense lineman when I played at 6’2” and 265 lbs (playing weight; I’m 225 lbs now). I first came across Wolverine in like 7th or 8th grade (in an issue of Todd McFarlane’s Spider-man where they hunted the Wendigo, thinking it was killing people but it ended up being a human serial killer), and I immediately liked him for his personality and temperament. He became my instant favorite, as he has for so many X-fans.

After college in my law school years and beyond, Cable edged Logan out. For one thing, my hair went gray early and I look just like him. Plus he’s more cerebral than Logan. More of a strategist and planner, which is something I could get behind as I work for a logistics company and do complex international customs clearance work. For another, he’s similar to Logan in terms of his temperament and is also a bad mofo. So now he’s my guy, with Logan a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    So who is your non-X-men self character?
    Wiccan. Duh.

Gay geek Scarlet Witch fanboy sums it up pretty well I guess, as well as some of his insecurity and struggles. I also like his design and powers, so it checks all the boxes for me.

BANNED

Well, so I wrote it on another thread:

Cyclops is my favorite character because he's very much like many of us, including many who hate him. You know, and this is why some people hate him, even if they won't admit it.

He had a difficult life. He made difficult choices. He was wrong. He was right. He led. He had a great personality and also a great heart. He loved. He cheated on. He was cheated. He won. He lost. He fought for other people, not just for his own survival. He fought for his people... to the end.

Cyclops is the most intriguing Marvel character. It's a pity that the Marvel Universe doesn't know what to do with him.

I like the concept of the “self character” – we all have our favorites, and these are usually (by definition) our self characters, but how often do we really stop to consider why they are our favorites and how we relate to them, much less put it into words so that others can understand?

My self character is, of course, Jubilee. She struck a chord with me immediately way back in 1989 when I first picked up an X-men comic, and she is the one who got me hooked on X-books. I guess what drew me to her so strongly was that I had shared a few of her life experiences – the very things that made her the character she is made me the person I am.

Tragedy and trauma at an early age followed by a very hard period in life (although thankfully I was never homeless – I was spared that horror), resulting in pronounced issues with trust and abandonment. Jubes and I reacted to this in similar ways – putting up a wall of “attitude” to keep those around us at what we felt was a safe distance, only learning much later (almost too late in my case) that we needed them closer. In the end, the thing that saved her was the same thing that saved me: someone else from a traumatic background saw through the fake wall I’d put up and found someone who was hurting and in need of help and understanding, not hatred.

Wolverine (and later the X-men as a whole) did that for her (for me it was an aunt I’d met a total of twice before) – they recognized that under that often abrasive and standoffish exterior was a wounded person with a big heart, who could be ferociously devoted to her friends. Of course now she’s grown, and she’s different from who she once was, but at her core she’s still the same big-hearted girl.

One other thing about Jubilee that impressed me was how highly she regards the sanctity of human life. In an age where killing people in comic books has become almost mundane, with seemingly every second character racking up their own body count, Jubes has never resorted to this no matter the situation. Even as a vampire (a murderous monster by definition), she has never allowed herself to kill people. That’s pretty impressive.

I love many characters, but she’s my number one. I suppose at that time I saw in Jubes a kindred spirit, and I was hooked. Fast forward 3 decades and I still am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Wolverine is my favorite. I like anti heroea or characters who stay in the grey. Which is why Gambit is #2. For logan when i was a kid watching the animated series he was juat cool and badass. Then when i webt to a grocery store when comic racks were a thing i noticed he had an ongoing. I picked that up. Notcmy first comic but the issue i stated actuall collecting new and the seriea i kept collecting till this day. Or at least before they killed him . That vook was vol 1 #94.
    X-Men Forever

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    I like the concept of the “self character” – we all have our favorites, and these are usually (by definition) our self characters, but how often do we really stop to consider why they are our favorites and how we relate to them, much less put it into words so that others can understand?

My self character is, of course, Jubilee. She struck a chord with me immediately way back in 1989 when I first picked up an X-men comic, and she is the one who got me hooked on X-books. I guess what drew me to her so strongly was that I had shared a few of her life experiences – the very things that made her the character she is made me the person I am.

Tragedy and trauma at an early age followed by a very hard period in life (although thankfully I was never homeless – I was spared that horror), resulting in pronounced issues with trust and abandonment. Jubes and I reacted to this in similar ways – putting up a wall of “attitude” to keep those around us at what we felt was a safe distance, only learning much later (almost too late in my case) that we needed them closer. In the end, the thing that saved her was the same thing that saved me: someone else from a traumatic background saw through the fake wall I’d put up and found someone who was hurting and in need of help and understanding, not hatred.

Wolverine (and later the X-men as a whole) did that for her (for me it was an aunt I’d met a total of twice before) – they recognized that under that often abrasive and standoffish exterior was a wounded person with a big heart, who could be ferociously devoted to her friends. Of course now she’s grown, and she’s different from who she once was, but at her core she’s still the same big-hearted girl.

One other thing about Jubilee that impressed me was how highly she regards the sanctity of human life. In an age where killing people in comic books has become almost mundane, with seemingly every second character racking up their own body count, Jubes has never resorted to this no matter the situation. Even as a vampire (a murderous monster by definition), she has never allowed herself to kill people. That’s pretty impressive.

I love many characters, but she’s my number one. I suppose at that time I saw in Jubes a kindred spirit, and I was hooked. Fast forward 3 decades and I still am.

I love everything about this, and much of it resonates with me.

I first came to know Jubilee through the first episode of the animated series, and quickly grew attached to the character. She was my pov in that she was the closest to my age, but then I discovered many more similarities. Jubilee, despite facing many hardships, tries to keep a positive, jovial, and empathic disposition towards life and also the way she communicates with others. She spins negatives into positives, even though her parents and several others close to her have died. She is brave enough to put herself in harms way to protect strangers (much like when she first met Logan... and also Shogo,) and risks her own well-being to save the lives of enemies. When she first attempted to escape Bastion, she blasted several of his armed soldiers unconscious... instead of running away, she gave one of them CPR to save his life!!! When I read that, I immediately noticed that I would do the same thing in a similar situation.
    Jubilee is extremely powerful, no matter what power set she has... yet, no matter if she has plasmoids, tech, or vampirism... she never follows through with killing a human life. I haven't read too many comic heroes that I can say the same for. Myself, I am a 6th degree black belt in several martial art styles... yet people always tell me that I'm the kindest and most peaceful person they know.
    Add to the fact that Jubilee and I are both teachers and leaders at heart... while still keeping the joys of youthfulness close by... it is easy to see why she is my favorite.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Nice topic, Sundowhn, and yep, I also remember we discussed it before in a couple of threads.

Throughout them, interesting notions arose such as identifying these 'self characters' as id/ego/super-ego or as RPG characters.

First notion was my own idea, second one was Heroine Addict's:

According to my very rudimentary knowledge, I'm an awful mess of all three psychiatric agents, being probably Rogue my Id character, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat my Ego characters, and Longshot my Superego character.

I will try to develop it later.

90s Gambit because of his complete disregard for authority and his being an outsider looking in. His seeming carefree and almost nihilistic attitude hiding the fact that deep down inside he really cares about the people around him. Topped off with a touch Prodigy for the more intellectual aspects of my character.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Nice topic, Sundowhn, and yep, I also remember we discussed it before in a couple of threads.

Throughout them, interesting notions arose such as identifying these 'self characters' as id/ego/super-ego or as RPG characters.

First notion was my own idea, second one was Heroine Addict's:

According to my very rudimentary knowledge, I'm an awful mess of all three psychiatric agents, being probably Rogue my Id character, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat my Ego characters, and Longshot my Superego character.

I will try to develop it later.
    There's a chance that you may be overthinking this.

Who's your favorite character? Chances are that's also your "self character" (as least as I understand the term). Why do you like that character? What similarities do you see between the two of you? Usually if a character is your fave then it's at least partially because you see something of yourself in them.

My husband's favorite character is Deadpool - not sure what that says about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

I don't think I have one really... it's weird because I do have self-insert type characters in other franchises, but not an X-men one. I guess I relate to some aspects of both Rogue and Iceman, but not nearly enough to consider either an example of this. X-men Legacy era Rogue comes closest probably.

Outside of the X-men, definitely Wiccan.

Incredible Member

My wish fulfillment fantasy character was Colossus. While most boys my age wanted to be the badass Wolverine. I wanted to be Piotr Raputin. I his great design by dave cockrum is what first drew me. When i learned He was a kind artistic introverted dude who was also handsome and the physique of a fitness model/body builder. He was also best friends with nightcrawler my second favorite x-character who was the fun character. I wished I had artistic talent but I identified so much with the quiet reserved gentle giant who just wanted to protect his friends and family.

Though I was probably closer to Bobby drake, Kitty pryde, and Doug Ramsey in temperament. Oh who am I kidding Bobby was too cool for me.

Wow, a lot of Cyclops and Icemen.

Very very interesting.

My self characters have to be Rictor and Colossus.

Rictor and I are both gay, both hispanic, and both navigated their love lives by falling in love with their female best friends until coming to terms with their sexuality. Not only that, but I definitely feel like Rictor and I tend to be a bit sardonic and broody when we are having 'problems'. Unlike Iceman who also came out late in life, I am not as much of a goofy lighthearted type.

Colossus is the big sweet heart, and will lay down his life for his friends and families. He's artistic, and much more than just muscle. I'm a painter (well I used to paint a lot in highschool and college, not so much anymore). So that artistic side I relate to. With Colossus I'm never sure if I relate more to 616 or 1610 since 1610 was gay...but the whole sublime/kick drug story line really changed my perception of Piotr in 1610...but he eventually turned around so idk...

There's a chance that you may be overthinking this.

Who's your favorite character? Chances are that's also your "self character" (as least as I understand the term). Why do you like that character? What similarities do you see between the two of you? Usually if a character is your fave then it's at least partially because you see something of yourself in them.
    It can vary I think. Technically my favorite character is Jean but I listed myself as being more like Kurt and Scott. If I stretched I can find some similarities between me and my fave but it might be my personal bias doing it for me.

My husband's favorite character is Deadpool - not sure what that says about him.
    That you love him but probably roll your eyes lovingly a lot?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I would say Bishop. Bishop thought very highly of the X-men growing up on their legends (as i did in comic book form) What i learned thru Bishop was just how powerful the dream and the X-men were to people even 100s of years later in a alternate timeline. How quicly Bishop was willing to kill his adversaries was one of the things i did not like about him, and answered one of my questions about the X-men. Why don't they just kill their most dangerous enemies? Short answer because that is not what the X-men are.

A felt that Bishop was a good reader POV character for me. He had to earn his spot on the X-men by proving that he understood what the X-men were about. It's not about superpowers,wonderful designed costumes, or being the biggest baddest superhero team. It is about people getting together to use their skills to make a difference in a world that views them different. The X-men also sometimes have to put aside their personal feelings and beliefs to try to make a positive change.

When Bishop was accepted into the X-men it showed me what i already knew that the X-men are a family.

Astonishing Member

I don't identify as any character and I prefer to read about characters who are bastards and assholes. kinda like picaresque novel characters. That is why I like Emma or Fantomex.
    I like the xmen concept as in, what would be the social, sexual, economic, political, religious etc implications of a race of people with superpowers suddenly appearing in the world (who have those powers because of a gene)?