Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I had not realized how bad a year Matthew McConaughey was having this year with both his movies bombing at the box office. Serenity and The Beach Bum both bombed very bad with neither coming even close to even covering their production budgets. They failed to even make half of their budgets back back in fact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yes and no there are similarities and differences and again the bench mark for a hit was way different even in 2011 than today I think both films would be viewed differently today with those numbers but if I compared First Class to a film it would Bumblebee it made a profit and brought critics and fans back onboard a dwindling franchise and that's a success IMO.
    I'm not convinced it did bring fans back. DoFP seems to be an outlier rather than a trend First Class kicked off.

Extraordinary Member

Shaft might actually be okay. I'm reading Netflix put up more than half the budget and it's getting good word of mouth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I'm not convinced it did bring fans back. DoFP seems to be an outlier rather than a trend First Class kicked off.
    It took three teams of X-Men in DOFP with glowing reviews and it still couldn't beat Last Stand's domestic total. To me that showed a lack of interest in the X-Men teams. FWIW this is my favorite X-Men movie which I don't mind re-watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Part of the impact of serialized storylines is the wait between installments. With that gone, the story might still be good, but the whole experience in between chapters -- thinking about it (maybe even obsessing about it), talking about it with friends, letting excitement and anticipation build -- is missing.

Reading Dark Phoenix over a couple of hours just would not have been the same. It would have flown by too fast with no time to ponder what happened.

It's the same way with any serialized artform. If decades ago on TV, they shot JR Ewing and then 45 minutes later, they revealed who did it, it would not have been the cultural and ratings bonanza that it was. It would have been just another episode of Murder, She Wrote. The fact that there was about 8 months in between the shooting and revelation was what made it the highest rated television episode in history at the time.
    That's fair enough if that's how you feel about it. Personally I don't really buy into that. I don't think things I've binge read/watched have has less of an impact than they would have done if spaced out, and in a lot of ways it can be advantageous, for example callbacks to things that happened in earlier issues/episodes being more fresh in your mind.

It's a fair point about TV cliffhangers in the sense that it builds anticipation in between seasons or whatever, but then I've binge watched multiple seasons of TV shows in a short space of time, and it hasn't really lessened the impact of the big moments just because I could see the resolution straight away.

Each to their own though.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It took three teams of X-Men in DOFP with glowing reviews and it still couldn't beat Last Stand's domestic total. To me that showed a lack of interest in the X-Men teams. FWIW this is my favorite X-Men movie which I don't mind re-watching.
    DOFP also had to compete with Godzilla and Maleficent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    DOFP also had to compete with Godzilla and Maleficent.
    Aquaman had Bumbebee, Mary Poppins Returns, and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and went to make over a Billion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Aquaman had Bumbebee, Mary Poppins Returns, and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and went to make over a Billion dollars.
    That only means it could have made even more.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 06-22-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

After this weekend there will be 3 films more or less heading to Box Office bust territory. One we already debated a long while and 2 that some may debate on. But I'll explain why they are listed and even with partners putting up half the budget ...its still a loss for the studio and those involved.

Total Box Office : $209+ million

Total Production Budget : $200 Million

I was waiting to see how Dark Phoenix would fare domestically before ruling it completely out. But this past weekend pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for Dark Phoenix as it will fall to 10th and barely edge over $65 million domestically here. Japan won't save the film either as I had waited to see if it would stick around the middle for a few weeks. But with 2-3 new films arriving this one fell off the map.

We all debated Dark Phoenix's failure at Box Office so now its officially done. (It should notch around possibly $220-225 million worldwide by the time its over)

Total Box Office : $347+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $170 million

Now this one we can debate. Someone brought up that Warners didn't foot the whole bill for Godzilla as Legendary went half on this one. But even if this is the case both will report a loss. Its that simple that Warners isn't gonna get off the hook completely for half the budget being put up. It doesn't work that way as both had a share in this one. Also with a reported marketing budget between $100-150 million reports are that to break even the film needed to earn $550-600 million. (Right around where Kong Skull Island did $566+ million)

The film thus far is at 9th domestically and will cross $100+ million mark here but its not gonna do much more ahead. Its best market was China where its done $123+ million. This one pretty much is done.

Total Box Office : $13+ million

Total Production Budget : $30-35 million

Like Godzilla , Warner Brothers had a partner put up half the budget for the reboot of Shaft this year. Netflix its reported put up half the budget. But right now heading into its 2nd weekend ; Shaft will finish out of top 10. The film seems DOA and both will take a loss on it. Shaft may have the quickest run in and out of theaters given how its already in weekend #2 and gonna finish at 11th it seems.

There is no international market to save Shaft either. Since there is only 2 small markets while Netflix will release the film streaming wise elsewhere.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I was waiting to see how Dark Phoenix would fare domestically before ruling it completely out. But this past weekend pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for Dark Phoenix
    With all due respect, Dark Phoenix was done after its first weekend. This past weekend wasn't the final nail in the coffin. It was everyone has left the graveyard.

Now this one we can debate. Someone brought up that Warners didn't foot the whole bill for Godzilla as Legendary went half on this one. But even if this is the case both will report a loss. Its that simple that Warners isn't gonna get off the hook completely for half the budget being put up. It doesn't work that way as both had a share in this one. Also with a reported marketing budget between $100-150 million reports are that to break even the film needed to earn $550-600 million. (Right around where Kong Skull Island did $566+ million)
    I'll admit that I don't know how the production costs on this (or most other movies) lines up between companies, but I really wish that people would stop calculating "marketing budget" as part of the failure costs. It all gets into accounting and such, but marketing is a budget expense undertaken by the distributor, and not the production company. It is a completely separate line item and has no bearing at all on whether - or how much - a movie failed. Even if the same same company undertakes both the production and marketing expenses, they are completely separate entities and do not affect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    With all due respect, Dark Phoenix was done after its first weekend. This past weekend wasn't the final nail in the coffin. It was everyone has left the graveyard.

I'll admit that I don't know how the production costs on this (or most other movies) lines up between companies, but I really wish that people would stop calculating "marketing budget" as part of the failure costs. It all gets into accounting and such, but marketing is a budget expense undertaken by the distributor, and not the production company. It is a completely separate line item and has no bearing at all on whether - or how much - a movie failed. Even if the same same company undertakes both the production and marketing expenses, they are completely separate entities and do not affect each other.

I don't what distributor handled Godzilla right now but in the book Hit & Run , Columbia had its marketing department tied close into studio. In one comical part of the book I read from memory , Sony had issues money wise where they'd spend etc. Anyhow they comically blew through the marketing budget for the year they had set. And it was like 2-3 months into that year. That they had set down and allotted money to each film for marketing and fucked it all up within months .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

BANNED

I don't what distributor handled Godzilla right now but in the book Hit & Run , Columbia had its marketing department tied close into studio. In one comical part of the book I read from memory , Sony had issues money wise where they'd spend etc. Anyhow they comically blew through the marketing budget for the year they had set. And it was like 2-3 months into that year. That they had set down and allotted money to each film for marketing and fucked it all up within months .
    That may all be true, but it doesn't affect any given movie's profitability. It's not a related budget. Doesn't matter what movie is being discussed or what the production company is or the distributor is.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That may all be true, but it doesn't affect any given movie's profitability. It's not a related budget. Doesn't matter what movie is being discussed or what the production company is or the distributor is.
    Marketing budget beside the point , the film is still a bomb and needed $550-600 million to break even as Deadline and other sites reported. So even not counting a marketing budget Godzilla has only earned $350 million thus far worldwide.

Moving on to Dark Phoenix , I was wrong on overall film topping out. I had thought it would run at $220-225 million worldwide. It actually did more once Japan's totals came in and it is at $232+ million worldwide. Its still a bust though.

Post highlighting Fox Studio incompetence.

https://imgur.com/a/UrQM7Ar#wbnnkzR

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Dark Phoenix has already been pulled from theaters
    https://heroichollywood.com/dark-pho...film-theaters/

It's a wrap.