Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired Overlord

No doubt Kira will get caught by the end of it......but I dare say if he's smart enough to keep his murder justice boner in his pants until he makes his move, he could thin batmans rogue galley pretty much all at once, just needs to get his hands on whatever records arkhem keeps of all its inmates....including names.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    No doubt Kira will get caught by the end of it......but I dare say if he's smart enough to keep his murder justice boner in his pants until he makes his move, he could thin batmans rogue galley pretty much all at once, just needs to get his hands on whatever records arkhem keeps of all its inmates....including names.
    I'd have to imagine all of their names and information are online at this point.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I'd have to imagine all of their names and information are online at this point.
    If Gotham is in New York State ( I believe so.) Yes Government papers can be viewed by public including that stuff. Also if you just write name with face it’s a heart attack, if you write stuff under the name then final destination **** occurs for kill ( I believe this has happened.)

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

but I dare say if he's smart enough to keep his murder justice boner in his pants until he makes his move
    He isn't. Light repeatedly almost got caught for no other reason than wanting to wave his dick around.

See the thing about that is who looks at all that stuff is very traceable. I don't keep up with Batman comics, but I'm pretty sure super hackers and disturbingly authoritarian tracking software are things he and a number of his rogues have had access to.

Which is why I said earlier, I think he's gonna get a bunch of guys right out of the gate, and then immediately get caught.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

And yes, Light is a big time dbasd who got as far he did due to plot.

I kind of want him to be super successful though just so he can last long enough to watch all his triumphs gradually get retconned.

Edit: To be honest though, I could just about see Light trying to leverage the Death Note to get more better powers because this is a universe with active deities and stuff, and I think his ego is too big for him to NOT want to be above all that. Plus, he might be disturbed by the idea of actually being judged after death.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 02-06-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Light would first kill the big mobsters, Penguin, Black Mask, Falcone, ect. He'd effectively destroy the mob by making it impossible to be a mob boss and live. This would throw the underworld into chaos and lead to an immediate rise in random violent crime as the street-level thugs have no one to answer to and get desperate with no one paying them, forcing Batman to work harder to keep the streets safe and leaving him less time yo go after this new killer.

Once the mob has been dealt with Light moves on to the super-criminals like Scarecrow and the Riddler. Unfortunately Joker is immune. It is Joker's survival when so many lesser villains die that clues Batman into Kira's need for a name.

The first person to discover Light's identity is Ra's Al Ghul, who has not been targeted because he does not operate in Gotham. Ra's, being hundreds of years old and knowledgeable about magic, deduces that a Death Note is in use and finds the user. He actually approves of Light's actions and allies with Light, providing him League of Assassin's protection and assistance. Around this time Batman notices the similarities between Kira's philosophy and Ra's' and goes to confront Ra's. Ra's decides to pit Batman and Kira against each other to see who is more worthy of being his heir, as he is seriously considering Light to lead the League of Assassins.

Now Kira and Batman begin their struggle to unmask the other, as Ra's refuses to provide them with each other's names. Batman eventually wins the game of wits by tricking Kira into thinking he is actually Matches Malone and getting Light to gloat about his victory, thereby drawing a confession without revealing his true identity. As soon as he sees that Light has lost Ra's decides that Batman is the more worthy heir and kills Light, ending Kira's reign. Batman picks up the Death Note and sees Ryuk. He is tempted to take it back to the Batcave to study and see exactly who has been killed with the notebook, but ultimately decides to burn it as it is too dangerous and not worth keeping as evidence since Kira can't be brought to trial anymore.

Gotham is ultimately left a much safer place with so many villains, criminals, and mobsters dead once the initial chaos dies down, and Ra's is rather happy with how everything turned out. But one other person who agreed with Kira's actions is determined to discover where Kira's power came from and resume Kira's work. And so Hugo Strange begins the search for his own Death Note.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 02-08-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

In this scenario, Light would be hampered by not having access to the Police Intranet through his dad, though that would also make it a lot harder to find him since any info he uses would be publicly available. And without other Death Notes in the hands of much less intelligent people than Light (though Misa's by no means *dumb*), there's no way of finding out about the Death Notes without enlisting someone like Zatanna or the Martian Manhunter.

They might be able to determine what region he's in by doing the timezone trick that L did, but I can't imagine Batman being willing to let even a Death Row inmate be used as bait, and without that, all they would know is that someone is possibly causing the deaths of criminals with known names, which would not necessarily fully rule out the likes of the several members of Batman's own Rogues' Gallery (namely Joker, possibly using Mad Hatter's Tech or something, until they fully investigate it), much less those of other superheroes (since Kira eventually operated on a global scale), or a Hero having some sort of psychotic break (looking at you, J'onn and Hal). Also, there's a non-zero chance that Bruce Wayne might say something negative about Kira during an interview and end up getting killed in a fit of pique.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 02-07-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Light would first kill the big mobsters, Penguin, Black Mask, Falcone, ect. He'd effectively destroy the mob by making it impossible to be a mob boss and live. This would throw the underworld into chaos and lead to an immediate rise in random violent crime as the street-level thugs have no one to answer to and get desperate with no one paying them, forcing Batman to work harder to keep the streets safe and leaving him less time yo go after this new killer. Once the mob has been dealt with Light moves on to the super-criminals like Scarecrow and the Riddler. Unfortunately Joker is immune. It is Joker's survival when so many lesser villains die that clues Batman into Kira's need for a name. The firt person to discover Light's identity is Ra's Al Ghul, who has not been targeted because he does not operate in Gotham. Ra's, being hundreds of years old and knowledgeable about magic, deduces that a Death Note is in use and finds the user. He actually approves of Light's actions and allies with Light, providing him League of Assassin's protection and assistance. Around this time Batman notices the similarities between Kira's philosophy and Ra's' and goes to confront Ra's. Ra's decides to pit Batman and Kira against each other to see who is more worthy of being his heir, as he is seriously considering Light to lead the League of Assassins. Now Kira and Batman begin their struggle to unmask the other, as Ra's refuses to provide them with each other's names. Batman eventually wins the game of wits by tricking Kira into thinking he is actually Matches Malone and getting Light to gloat about his victory, thereby drawing a confession without revealing his true identity. As soon as he sees that Light has lost Ra's decides that Batman is the more worthy heir and kills Light, ending Kira's reign. Batman picks up the Death Note and sees Ryuk. He is tempted to take it back to the Batcave to study and see exactly who has been killed with the notebook, but ultimately decides to burn it as it is too dangerous and not worth keeping as evidence since Kira can't be brought to trial anymore. Gotham is ultimately left a much safer place with so many villains, criminals, and mobsters dead once the initial chaos dies down, and Ra's is rather happy with how everything turned out. But one other person whoo agreed with Kira's actions is determined to discover where Kira's power came from and resume Kira's work. And so Hugo Strange begins the search for his own Death Note.
    WTB a paragraph-break.

though that would also make it a lot harder to find him since any info he uses would be publicly available
    Again, pretty much every way he could get the information he needs is pretty traceable, both online and off. And he needs a lot of information. I honestly think that in the real world you could probably crowdsource find Kira within a week.

But really, like I said before, I think the biggest reason he gets caught is because there's no way he misses a chance to taunt Batman. Really, I think that's generous too; in a world with so many big personality heroes and villains, I think Light's ego leads to him trying to taunt everyone.

Edit: Also like, IIRC the thing where Light narrowed his location by going after a death row inmate is that he knew it was probably not the real L and did it anyway out of egotism. So Batman may not be willing to put someone to death in the same way, but the point I'm trying to make here is Light likes to wave his dick around near fanblades and is probably going to do that in SOME way.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 02-07-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

If he doesn't have access to a police database, the only clues would be that he knows the names and faces of people who may be on TV or in the newspapers, or in magazines, etc..., which only really rules out most of the blind and some of the Amish. And none of the clues he left behind made any sense until they got their hands on a Death Note and became able to see Shinigami, which is not likely to happen if they no other Death Now present. The only reason that he was a target of investigation at all was because he was the son of the guy that was running the investigation, and without that he's just since really smart kid who lives a normal life.

It's possible that they might be a able to lure him out, but the problem there is that Kira is basically a one trick pony and Bruce would never deliberately arrange to have someone else killed just for a chance at getting a clue.

Of course, this is presuming that he has traveled to the DCU after the events of his series and not that the events of his series happened and he just happened to win, in which case Bruce would be immediately suspicious of the sole survivor of the major organization that was investigating Kira.

That would be true if he were just killing a couple guys here and there when the opportunity arose, but Light had pages of the Death Note filled before Ryuk even met him, so he needs to look up all these random criminals and he can’t really do that without some kind of trail, online or off. Only maybe a handful of people will have been into all those names specifically, and Light comes from 2006 when the idea of online anonymity was like, using a couple proxies. Offline means he has to actually go places, and that’s even worse. He might be alright if he only had to worry about people following due process, but he’s not, which means that as soon as he’s even a suspect, it’s probably over.

And this isn’t even considering the possibility that someone goes “oh Bane had a heart attack in a locked room. Well let’s just investigate magical avenues just in case, because that sounds suspicious.” But I’m trying to avoid that line of thinking since I don’t think this is meant to be Light vs the entire DCU
    Last edited by BitVyper; 02-08-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Light kills a good amount of Gotham villains if not all, except for the Joker (no one knows his real name). Batman notices that the villains are dying one after another and realizes pretty quickly that this involves the supernatural and goes to Zatanna or the Martian manhunter for help. Zatanna cooks up a spell to find him or J'onn scans the whole city to pinpoint him, after that, Light is pretty much done.

Light would try to kill Batman but would fail, since Light would need to see Batman face to face for his power to work. By "power" I mean the one where it allows the user of the book to know a strangers name.
    This is pretty much the closest result. Light screwed up with the initial kills. Killing Zsasz was barely noticed. Killing Harley is mistake #1. That brings out Joker, Ivy and/or Suicide Squad/US Government (depending on which version of Harley it is) into the investigation. The Bane and Scarecrow kills gets everyone to gang up with each other to watch each other back(aka the "war of jokes and riddles" arc), eliminating suspects. Killing Ivy (who probably figured it out by then) brings the supernatural investigators into it (Swamp thing, Constance, Deadman, Zatanna etc) due to her connection with the Green.

I can't see Light avoiding that group of investigators. The Note is taken away from him quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    And this isn’t even considering the possibility that someone goes “oh Bane had a heart attack in a locked room.
    Pretty sure heart attacks don't care if you're in a locked room or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    This is pretty much the closest result. Light screwed up with the initial kills. Killing Zsasz was barely noticed. Killing Harley is mistake #1. That brings out Joker, Ivy and/or Suicide Squad/US Government (depending on which version of Harley it is) into the investigation. The Bane and Scarecrow kills gets everyone to gang up with each other to watch each other back(aka the "war of jokes and riddles" arc), eliminating suspects. Killing Ivy (who probably figured it out by then) brings the supernatural investigators into it (Swamp thing, Constance, Deadman, Zatanna etc) due to her connection with the Green.

I can't see Light avoiding that group of investigators. The Note is taken away from him quickly.
    And the real joke on Light? They'll all be back in a year anyway.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.