Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Monet is a jack of all trades, master of none. There's nothing about her that screams omega

I dont think Northstar or his sister would be. Speed is something that can be measured and he has an upper limit
    Exactly. Remember guys that the new Omega definition means that typically only one power is Omega. That doesn't mean a jack of all trades like Monet isn't useful. Heck, I'd say Monet is useful in a lot of situations that Iceman is not despite him being Omega.

really none, at least not based off the new definition
    Actually, Iceman is gay and last I checked Storm is a woman of color. If you meant who else among women of color and LGBTQ could also be Omega then I'd agree, probably no one else at the moment. But that can change whenever the writers want. This new definition is brand new and I don't think the list shown was meant to be ALL omega mutants.

Does Magneto count as a white man when he is Jewish? That should be another minority. I think the list given was decently diverse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    What women of color and LGBTQ characters do you guys think could or should be on the omega list?
    First, quick question. Why are men of color excluded, well straight men of color?

Second, if moc where included, Synch would be the only viable one.. Maybe Triage (his power work differently than Elixirs as he manipulates life force energy so maybe he falls under energy manipulation. Too Bad Shola is depowered as I would have made a serious argument for him be a Omega level Telekinetic.

As far as women of color, Storm is pretty much it. Monet could be a contender but she would need to have a singular mutation.. I dont know if perfection could be it.. Or maybe it could be biopsionic. Outside of her the rest of the women powers are too niche like Karma, Oya, Decay, Shark Girl, etc.

Quantum energy Dani Moonstar maybe could have been something at one time but she seems to have just an assortment of specific psionic abilities. And then there is Blink, but it seems teleporters cant be omega. Hmm who else? When you think about, you realize how limited the POCS are in the Xmen. OH yeah Trinary is powerful but cannot be since Forge was called the top tier technopath and he was just an alpha..I would not even classify his powers as the same as Trinary or Hijack but I guess thats how that goes..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Exactly. Remember guys that the new Omega definition means that typically only one power is Omega. That doesn't mean a jack of all trades like Monet isn't useful. Heck, I'd say Monet is useful in a lot of situations that Iceman is not despite him being Omega.

Actually, Iceman is gay and last I checked Storm is a woman of color. If you meant who else among women of color and LGBTQ could also be Omega then I'd agree, probably no one else at the moment. But that can change whenever the writers want. This new definition is brand new and I don't think the list shown was meant to be ALL omega mutants.

Does Magneto count as a white man when he is Jewish? That should be another minority. I think the list given was decently diverse.
    Magneto is a white jew. Its religious diversity not racial as jew people can be of a variety of racial backgrounds. And when people critiqued the list it was based on race and gender. Maybe the question added sexuality since all the characters are presumably straight.

But like I said.......Iceman is gay. Does he not count?

Mighty Member

But like I said.......Iceman is gay. Does he not count?
    Lol I forgot about Iceman. His inclusion on the list gives a sexual diversity as he is the only confirmed lgbtq character. But it doesnt change that the list has 1 person of color and just 3 women on it. Gay as Iceman is he is still a white man which affords him certain things that non white gay men and lesbians do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    What women of color and LGBTQ characters do you guys think could or should be on the omega list?
    My choices would be Darwin(adaptive evolution) ,Tempus (time manipulation) Magma (Geothermal Manipulation) Surge (energy absorption) Gentle(Muscle-Mass Expansion). I think all pretty different powers to what is on the list and characters have small roles in the X-men so they can be used as powerhouse members on a team would help them to be used more. None of them quite make the list with Tempus being closet of the bunch of being on the list.

They are already on the omega list. The question was asked which characters could or should be on there

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    My choices would be Darwin(adaptive evolution) ,Tempus (time manipulation) Magma (Geothermal Manipulation) Surge (energy absorption) Gentle(Muscle-Mass Expansion). I think all pretty different powers to what is on the list and characters have small roles in the X-men so they can be used as powerhouse members on a team would help them to be used more. None of them quite make the list with Tempus being closet of the bunch of being on the list.
    Tempus and Magma are not women of color. I dont think Surge would qualify. Her powers arent that great and is easily outclassed by Vulcan. Gentle wouldnt qualify under the definition. I think really only Darwin could be a real contender
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-30-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Monet is a jack of all trades, master of none. There's nothing about her that screams omega

I dont think Northstar or his sister would be. Speed is something that can be measured and he has an upper limit
    Monet is interesting to me because back in the early Gen X days, when her sisters were working together to impersonate her, they were able to completely block Emma's attempt at learning her secrets. Emma still had some specific tricks like consolidating the ambient psionic energy into a psychic lightning bolt(which is why I never thought Jeen's 'pink form' trick was nearly as clever as many others did) which were able to overwhelm her, but Monet represented the 'ultimate mutation' in that she was a physical and psionic powerhouse.

When you consider her siblings's dimensional opening potential, and things like Marius's and her mother's magic, and the fact that all the siblings can easily merge together, this is looking like a very interesting x-gene configuration, with infinite applications. I think PAD dumbed Monet down for his X-Factor run, so modern M has never really approached the potential alluded to in GenX that a super smart, super fast, super strong, invulnerable, psionic, dimension hopping, phasing, mutant power adapting/absorbing magical composite being could be with some focus under an interested writer. (Gateway's involvement with the twins was never explained enough.)

On that note I think Synch was the greater power mimicker compared to Hope, because he was able to retain powers long after the imprint was gone(Sabretooth's mass/strength), and use powers far better than his hosts(Chamber's powers without blowing his face off, flying). In theory he would eventually have been able to store the imprints in his aura indefinitely and be the ultimate mutant in that he had all their powers at once, better.

While speed 'may' have an upper limit in the speed of light(debatable), the use of the near light speeds Northstar and Aurora can attain have hardly been utilized in the comics. In that regard, their power does have an undefined upper limit.

I do agree that the definition of "Omega" posited by Hickman so far is still a bit unclear. Back in the 90's it seemed to mean three things all met at once:

-infinite applications of the mutation
    -ability to transcend the fleshy body
    -ability to control down to the molecular level or lower

That seemed pretty conclusive and reasonable. I guess we'll see as Hickman progresses more examples of his definition, and how they inform the story.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Darwin is definitely another good one, but I thought we were looking for females.

Tempo was a woman of color, and her time manipulating powers were never really explored in detail, given she was primarily a MLF member, but she does show some promise, I suppose. Too bad she was killed randomly for that stupid AoX story, and she actually stayed dead. Someone open up a new Krakoa pod for my girl!

Oh, and original Dani Moonstar was essentially a reality warper. I guess she would have to stack up against the other ones(or get her own specific type of reality warping), but that whole 'fears/desires' 'illusion' thing actually had potential to physically manifest, as we saw in that original Brood story in NM. Of course, they turn her way down after that, and only in later NM do they explore it again, but only just before leaving her in Asgard. By the time she's back in X-Force, that is all gone(until she gets those Eternals amped quantum powers, but those were very distinct and seemly vanished). Since being repowered, her abilities haven't been explored all too well, so she needs a new baseline.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 07-31-2019 at 12:00 AM.

Tempus and Magma are not women of color. I dont think Surge would qualify. Her powers arent that great and is easily outclassed by Vulcan. Gentle wouldnt qualify under the definition. I think really only Darwin could be a real contender
    My brain didn't register the question properly lol. So I end up listing minorities who I would like to see elevate to that level not necessarily who is at that level. Because as we know it just takes a simple flick of the pen to turn Storm and Magneto in omega and Psylocke,Rachel,etc not omega level.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Darwin is definitely another good one, but I thought we were looking for females.

Tempo was a woman of color, and her time manipulating powers were never really explored in detail, given she was primarily a MLF member, but she does show some promise, I suppose. Too bad she was killed randomly for that stupid AoX story, and she actually stayed dead. Someone open up a new Krakoa pod for my girl!

Oh, and original Dani Moonstar was essentially a reality warper. I guess she would have to stack up against the other ones(or get her own specific type of reality warping), but that whole 'fears/desires' 'illusion' thing actually had potential to physically manifest, as we saw in that original Brood story in NM. Of course, they turn her way down after that, and only in later NM do they explore it again, but only just before leaving her in Asgard. By the time she's back in X-Force, that is all gone(until she gets those Eternals amped quantum powers, but those were very distinct and seemly vanished). Since being repowered, her abilities haven't been explored all too well, so she needs a new baseline.
    Hmm I had thought about Tempo but her powers were never full fleshed out but she did have a good showing vs Quicksliver and her team up with Exodus showed us a few things.. I always thought Tempo and Sway had similar yet different powers, makes me wonder where Timeslip would come into the conversation as her abilities are slightly different.

Hmm I would also vote for Pathway since she makes portals through time and space(her powers seem limitless) but again her ability isnt omega based on the list.

Dani was not a reality warper. Her powers are purely psychic and she was never able to make her illusions real. Making physical manifestations of single objects is not quite the same thing and nowhere near the level of the actual omegas listed here whom can create alternate universes and reshape the world. Besides her primary power is a form of telepathy and outclassed by many telepaths, like Quentin and Jean
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-31-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Dani was not a reality warper. Her powers are purely psychic and she was never able to make her illusions real. Making physical manifestations of single objects is not quite the same thing and nowhere near the level of the actual omegas listed here whom can create alternate universes and reshape the world
    Pretty sure the Brood Queen inside Xavier was able to make solid constructs with Dani's power in the original NM issues, but it's been a while since I've read that story. Surely her abilities in this regard are underdeveloped, but the omega potential is there.

Ah yes, here we are:

NM #3.

Pretty sure the Brood Queen inside Xavier was able to make solid constructs with Dani's power in the original NM issues, but it's been a while since I've read that story. Surely her abilities in this regard are underdeveloped, but the omega potential is there.

Ah yes, here we are:

NM #3.
    They had faced monsters earlier in those issues which were made real but those were singular objects, like she would do later in the run, except these were animated. Thats not reality warping and she wasnt making physical scenarios that they were experiencing with her illusions. There's no omega potential here. Franklin Richards at 5 years old created a pocket universe complete with its own history and rewrote the lives of the heroes that were trapped in there. Nothing about whats even hinted at here in NM #3 suggests that Dani could ever do that. It hints at her own potential, but that potential isnt omega class. Dani's powers, even here, are extremely limited to her vicinty, she cant create grand illusions that extend a few blocks, let alone the entire world

You don't know that. Her upper limitations are never defined(as this extent of her power has barely been explored), you are presuming.

Jaime Braddock didn't start using his powers until he was already a grown ass man, and only after a traumatic, witch-doctor involved experience in Africa. And he only really reality warped in his immediate surrounding to begin with as well, and yet he is an omega.