Page 225 of 354 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228229235275325 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 5304

Quote Originally Posted by 2cats View Post
    Do you think that after the movie (Thor Ragnarok), Odinson would start using his powers more like Ororo ?

I mean he already gave up his name to Jane, rejected the opportunity to take a hammer twice. The only missing step to redefine himself is a shift from trying to obtain the worthiness status to "yeah, you can keep the hammer with the rancorous mother storm inside, who cares, I'm the storm, every storm"
    I doubt it. In the real world Mjölnir is his symbol. It is a symbol of masculinity. That symbol is synonyms with the worship and or cult of Thor. I doubt it will be removed. We have had time examining the symbolism, it makes sense to recombine the parts at some point. I think it is a weak point of the movie to remove Mjölnir, not a strength.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2cats View Post
    Do you think that after the movie (Thor Ragnarok), Odinson would start using his powers more like Ororo ?

I mean he already gave up his name to Jane, rejected the opportunity to take a hammer twice. The only missing step to redefine himself is a shift from trying to obtain the worthiness status to "yeah, you can keep the hammer with the rancorous mother storm inside, who cares, I'm the storm, every storm"
    Not sure if it would work in the comics as there has been a 50+years of history where the Hammer has been synonymous with the name and character of Thor so it would seem inevitable that once the Son of Odin chooses to reuse his real name,that he would be reunited with the Hammer but who knows what Aaron has in mind?

The MCU Thor being only around for a matter of years rather than decades like the comic version, is not so closely associated with Mjolnir as the comic version is, as far as moviegoers are concerned so for most moviegoers it worked quite well seeing Thor go almost the entire movie without his Hammer and in fact enhanced the character as it allowed him to show how skilled and versatile a fighter he could be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I've kind of had my fill of stories really going on and on about "worthiness" and what it means to be "Thor" to last me a while.

It feels weird to say that about a Thor comic, but still.
    Unfortunately with these characters their origins and meaning of existence will constantly be readdressed. It's why Spider-Man will always be a teenager, Tony Stark will always wrestle with demons, and Bruce Banner will always be at odds with the monster inside him. Despite a well-known origin of how Thor learned to accept humility and value all life (his banishment to Earth) writers will always want to tell their own worthiness story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Not sure if it would work in the comics as there has been a 50+years of history where the Hammer has been synonymous with the name and character of Thor so it would seem inevitable that once the Son of Odin chooses to reuse his real name,that he would be reunited with the Hammer but who knows what Aaron has in mind?

The MCU Thor being only around for a matter of years rather than decades like the comic version, is not so closely associated with Mjolnir as the comic version is, as far as moviegoers are concerned so for most moviegoers it worked quite well seeing Thor go almost the entire movie without his Hammer and in fact enhanced the character as it allowed him to show how skilled and versatile a fighter he could be without it.
    Darn it, and darn auto-correct! I was trying to use 'synonymous' too!

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Unfortunately with these characters their origins and meaning of existence will constantly be readdressed. It's why Spider-Man will always be a teenager, Tony Stark will always wrestle with demons, and Bruce Banner will always be at odds with the monster inside him. Despite a well-known origin of how Thor learned to accept humility and value all life (his banishment to Earth) writers will always want to tell their own worthiness story.
    And you consider that unfortunate? At least one of us will be happy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It would be the best outcome in my mind, Odinson just being worthy again would feel like Thor is just a story about a hammer and whoever is holding it.

For me I would like a story that makes mjolnir worthy of Thor again

Coz for me at present, it's not worthy of the thunder god imo

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    And you consider that unfortunate? At least one of us will be happy.
    It's the inherent problem with the superhero genre. I prefer continuous storytelling and evolution, personally, it's why I left. I understand why the big two keep the characters stuck without evolving them (the whole IP reasoning). I personally don't need to re-examine the origins of any particular character, but that's just me. I don't begrudge anyone who sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

Sounds good to me but I think Aaron will instead keep Jane Foster alive and still with Mjolnir, kill off Odin or send him to a retirement home for gods. The son of Odin will replace him as lord of Asgard, get a new arm and hammer and call himself ...... Odin!

Yes, it’s sounds crazy. Odin is a birth name not a title and you can’t just give away a name to someone because that person now owns something that was once yours but then I guess it wouldn’t be the first time Marvel did something like that?

Yes, it’s sounds crazy. Odin is a birth name not a title and you can’t just give away a name to someone because that person now owns something that was once yours but then I guess it wouldn’t be the first time Marvel did something like that?
    nah, Odin is a mantle like Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    nah, Odin is a mantle like Thor.
    It turns out Bor was really the original Odin .

Astonishing Member

Yes, a sentiment after my own heart.

Astonishing Member

Sounds good to me but I think Aaron will instead keep Jane Foster alive and still with Mjolnir, kill off Odin or send him to a retirement home for gods. The son of Odin will replace him as lord of Asgard, get a new arm and hammer and call himself ...... Odin!

That sounds terrible imo

That sounds terrible imo
    Yep, sure does but if its one thing that reading how the character of Thor has been written over the last few years, its hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Just call me Mr Pessimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It turns out Bor was really the original Odin .
    So Odin is going to be the new Bor?

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    It's the inherent problem with the superhero genre. I prefer continuous storytelling and evolution, personally, it's why I left. I understand why the big two keep the characters stuck without evolving them (the whole IP reasoning). I personally don't need to re-examine the origins of any particular character, but that's just me. I don't begrudge anyone who sticks around.
    it's why I'm slowly droping the big two, I started reading them in 2013 and they already are feeling the same to me. It's not easy because these are characters that I really like, but the x-men and Daredevil I stoped reading already.