Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I think the fact that the SOS were so over the top was part of the point. A major theme put forth in the first issue is how insanely polarized we've become as a country when it comes to political issues, which is true in real life. I mean we have a presidential candidate who got thunderous applause for stating his insane plan to deport all undocumented immigrants (good luck with that) and then magically put up a massive wall on the border.

The costumes and super weapons are silly, sure, but their rhetoric isn't too far off from what I hear from people in the real world.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-16-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Finally got around to reading this issue and I must I'm already enjoying more than the previous run. Mainly because it's cool to Sam get some clear cut victories, that and these little discussions have been interesting. While the subject matter may have rubbed some people the wrong way I hope that doesn't discourage them from reading the series.

Also I found this hilarious.

ScreenCap3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    This is the book we should have gotten when Sam first became Captain America.

Remender story was good but he was to focused on pushing "his" characters instead of showing off who Sam really is and why he deserves to be the star in his title. LOVED this issue and I can not wait for the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Honestly, in my head canon I'm just pretending this is the book that came directly after Captain America #25.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Where was this comic when Falcon first became Cap?

If this run continues this pace or better, this could be like Morrison's Batman and Robin run; character defining despite the character being in a different mantle.
    C/S all of this.

To echo Bashenga, i'm just gonna erase Remender's run from my mind and, far as i'm concerned, this is the real start of Sam's run as Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Finally got around to reading this issue and I must I'm already enjoying more than the previous run. Mainly because it's cool to Sam get some clear cut victories, that and these little discussions have been interesting. While the subject matter may have rubbed some people the wrong way I hope that doesn't discourage them from reading the series.

Also I found this hilarious.

ScreenCap3.jpg
    Interestingly enough, that is ripped from the headlines as well. I read somewhere the Presidents' dog, Bo, currently has the highest approval rating of anyone in the white house.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Those guys were based on actual groups that exist and have been caught and convicted of destroying water supplies with the intent of leaving illegals to die in the desert, and in other instances kidnapping and murder.
    They are paraphrasing Trump's arguments/ideas. Is that not a direct criticism of conservative point of view on illegal immigration? Fact that these villains are based on actual hate groups makes things worse - hate groups and conservatives are thrown into one bag.

For clarity, I'm not American, I live in Europe. I don't particularly care one way or another, but I don't like when comic writers decide to tackle real world issues with childish simplicity. Another recent example of this would be Green Arrow from DC where we had pale villain killing black people.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    They are paraphrasing Trump's arguments/ideas. Is that not a direct criticism of conservative point of view on illegal immigration? Fact that these villains are based on actual hate groups makes things worse - hate groups and conservatives are thrown into one bag.

For clarity, I'm not American, I live in Europe. I don't particularly care one way or another, but I don't like when comic writers decide to tackle real world issues with childish simplicity. Another recent example of this would be Green Arrow from DC where we had pale villain killing black people.
    For my personal tastes, I actually prefer it when comics tackle real life political or social issues through metaphors. Not that I think there's a right or wrong approach to it one way or the other... but I think discussion boards like this tend to get bogged down in debates over the real life issue rather than a discussion about the comic when it happens.

I'd much rather spend my time discussing Red Wings brand new sonic canon than debate the US immagration. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    For my personal tastes, I actually prefer it when comics tackle real life political or social issues through metaphors. Not that I think there's a right or wrong approach to it one way or the other... but I think discussion boards like this tend to get bogged down in debates over the real life issue rather than a discussion about the comic when it happens.

I'd much rather spend my time discussing Red Wings brand new sonic canon than debate the US immagration. But that's just me.
    I'm sure well get more traditionally superhero stuff that highlights that down the road, but this is currently fair game since it's what the issue presented. Obviously Spencer intended for this discussion to take place, so as long as we can discuss it while adhering to the boards' guidelines, we might as well.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Interestingly enough, that is ripped from the headlines as well. I read somewhere the Presidents' dog, Bo, currently has the highest approval rating of anyone in the white house.
    This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

So any chance that Sam and Steve reconcile their beef? Sure for the time being it makes for great story telling but I'd like to see them on good terms again.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Back when x-men was worth reading, it was a good example of what you're talking about. The mutants being discriminated against, if you wanted, you could compare it to blacks being discriminated against or gays. But if you were coming from the other side, you could compare it to anti Christian persecution, especially in other countries. It was a metaphor that worked for many different audiences without being overbearing.

Incredible Member

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

So any chance that Sam and Steve reconcile their beef? Sure for the time being it makes for great story telling but I'd like to see them on good terms again.
    We haven't seen what caused their beef yet (or the beef itself) but probably by the end of the arc.

All-New Member

I didn't enjoy this issue at all. I pay good money for comic books to get away from all the propaganda out there, and this was quite the opposite.

I had hope that maybe this would be a story about how Steve is gonna get Sam back in check, but after reading Spencer's Twitter feed, I've lost that hope.

Dropped it from my pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    We haven't seen what caused their beef yet (or the beef itself) but probably by the end of the arc.
    I thought the cause might have been in one of those Secret Wars tie-in books, I skipped all of those. Still this is sure to be an enjoyable arc.

To be fair, Bo maintains a steady platform of consistent cuteness that Obama (and any non-canine creatures) can only hope to attain.

Throw a sonic cannon on that guy and he would be more popular than air.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyetron View Post
    I didn't enjoy this issue at all. I pay good money for comic books to get away from all the propaganda out there, and this was quite the opposite.

I had hope that maybe this would be a story about how Steve is gonna get Sam back in check, but after reading Spencer's Twitter feed, I've lost that hope.

Dropped it from my pull list.
    Yeah cause in a book called Sam Wilson: Captain America that's going to happen.

Haven't had the chance to grab the issue yet, but that panel of Redwing's approval rating made me laugh out loud.

This is my concern too... I really can't stand to read another superhero beef, especially between Steve and Sam. Probably going to make or break the book for me.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher