Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    For my personal tastes, I actually prefer it when comics tackle real life political or social issues through metaphors. Not that I think there's a right or wrong approach to it one way or the other... but I think discussion boards like this tend to get bogged down in debates over the real life issue rather than a discussion about the comic when it happens.

I'd much rather spend my time discussing Red Wings brand new sonic canon than debate the US immagration. But that's just me.
    The Sons of the Serpent were about to kill some defenseless people. Thats a super hero story.

Just because they have #Reasons for it, doesnt change that.

No one should confuse Cap for Bitch Planet

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Yeah cause in a book called Sam Wilson: Captain America that's going to happen.
    Some of the best runs of Captain America did not delve deeply into political controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    Some of the best runs of Captain America did not delve deeply into political controversy.
    That's not what I'm talking about. I'm wondering why you expected Steve to give Sam comeuppance in his own book. Regardless of politics (and unless you're pro-cold blooded murder I'm wondering where the big divide is anyway), why would you think that going into it?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    That's not what I'm talking about. I'm wondering why you expected Steve to give Sam comeuppance in his own book. Regardless of politics (and unless you're pro-cold blooded murder I'm wondering where the big divide is anyway), why would you think that going into it?

I didn't think that going in. I picked up the book based on brand name alone (Captain America) and got what seemed like liberal propaganda to me. I initially wrote it off as potentially playing a bigger story about Sam picking a side, but then maybe Steve would help settle him back down eventually. But after reading Spencer's Twitter feed, I now can only expect a political agenda, hence I'm dropping the book. I'm not paying money to read that.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eyetron View Post
    I didn't think that going in. I picked up the book based on brand name alone (Captain America) and got what seemed like liberal propaganda to me. I initially wrote it off as potentially playing a bigger story about Sam picking a side, but then maybe Steve would help settle him back down eventually. But after reading Spencer's Twitter feed, I now can only expect a political agenda, hence I'm dropping the book. I'm not paying money to read that.
    Not only that, but am I the only one who perceives that Sam Wilson in this book is a stand-in for Barack Obama? Because everything that his critics said about him are the things that Obama's opponents have said about him. More than anything else, that's why I can't keep reading this book, because Obama is not my hero.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

If you don't like liberal Captain America, go read NeoCon Captain America in the Ultimates.

Propaganda this, agenda that, liberal this, conservative that. Blah...blah...blah. Nobody cares about anybody else's 'political' views nor how offended one may be. Enjoy the comic or don't. Superheroes guys...superheroes.

Edit: To be clear, this is directed towards the offended posters here. The comic was fantastic!
    Last edited by Iconic; 10-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Propaganda this, agenda that, liberal this, conservative that. Blah...blah...blah. Nobody cares about anybody else's 'political' views nor how offended one may be. Enjoy the comic or don't. Superheroes guys...superheroes.
    People are getting more hung up on the fact that there were illegal immigrants rather than the SoS were planning to kidnap and likely kill them, then actually tried to kill Cap. Initially Cap just told them to go home, when never actually saw how he would have dealt with the immigrants, because he had to stop guys from shooting him.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

All-New Member

Exactly, I don't care if he's conservative or liberal. I personally don't like reading political things in a comic book. Just give me superheroes. Or at least hide it behind a big metaphor, I can tolerate that.

I understand some people love political stuff like this, but it's not for me, that's all.

Not only that, but am I the only one who perceives that Sam Wilson in this book is a stand-in for Barack Obama? Because everything that his critics said about him are the things that Obama's opponents have said about him. More than anything else, that's why I can't keep reading this book, because Obama is not my hero.
    If so I can not wait to see Zemo going on the JJ Jameson's show to accuse Sam being born in Wakanda.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    People are getting more hung up on the fact that there were illegal immigrants rather than the SoS were planning to kidnap and likely kill them, then actually tried to kill Cap. Initially Cap just told them to go home, when never actually saw how he would have dealt with the immigrants, because he had to stop guys from shooting him.

It's because that's exactly what propaganda is. It's designed to influence whose side you're on by giving one-sided or exaggerated messages/circumstances.

I could maybe appreciate it more if it's actually a tough decision to pick a side (see Civil War comic), but this is a one-sided decision with the protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyetron View Post
    It's because that's exactly what propaganda is. It's designed to influence whose side you're on by giving one-sided or exaggerated messages/circumstances.

I could maybe appreciate it more if it's actually a tough decision to pick a side (see Civil War comic), but this is a one-sided decision with the protagonist.
    Captain America stopped a hate group from commiting a hate crime. Gee, how out of character.

There's a lot of people who have issues with illegal immigration, most aren't roaming the border attempting to kill people.

If you're identifying with the people who do that kind of thing, you are straight up a bad guy/woman.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 10-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    If so I can not wait to see Zemo going on the JJ Jameson's show to accuse Sam being born in Wakanda.
    An entire birther arc might be good for a cheap laugh or two.

Ultimate Member

No I don't.

I would say Sam is the fill in for every single person who felt the same way and got attacked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Captain America stopped a hate group from commiting a hate crime. Gee, how out of character.
    Some people prefer metaphor.
    Like a clone of hitler in a KKK hood with a hate gun.
    hatemonh3.jpg

Much metaphor.