Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I said this to BP fans hating on Coates and now I will say it here. These poor comic sales are probably more reflective of the comic market in general as opposed to readers liking it not liking the story. With pirating and now covid there are a lot of factors that can adversely impact sales numbers.
    This is probably the truest statement in this whole thread. Also, not sure how much more digital has increased as a percentage of comic book sales, but I don’t think those numbers are included either.

Regardless, the publishing division at this point at Marvel is really just a writer’s lab for the films and now Disney+ show content. I very much doubt that Disney cares all that much that it loses money on its own. It’s just not significant enough for them as a standalone business, but incredibly valuable for the stories it generates for all this popular IP they own.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    This is probably the truest statement in this whole thread. Also, not sure how much more digital has increased as a percentage of comic book sales, but I don’t think those numbers are included either.

Regardless, the publishing division at this point at Marvel is really just a writer’s lab for the films and now Disney+ show content. I very much doubt that Disney cares all that much that it loses money on its own. It’s just not significant enough for them as a standalone business, but incredibly valuable for the stories it generates for all this popular IP they own.
    Yeah the profit margins are low either way.
    As long as Marvel don't do anything too drastic, I doubt if Disney cares.

The X-Men IP is worth more than the comics

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but I find hard to care either way when we have no idea how precise those estimates are.

MAybe i'm just weird but imo i see it as a huge success from a business point. Hickman took what was essentially a 2 -3 book line that was maybe selling 100k tops total and turned it into a line that could sustain at least 10 books, all in the top 100, most about to hit issue 20 already. and most would agree not a single was a traditional break out hero books. And they did it while it was a pandemic, with the closure of many shops, and someone like me who has been strictly digital for a bit isn't even accounted for in these "estimates". I think they'll be fine.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    MAybe i'm just weird but imo i see it as a huge success from a business point. Hickman took what was essentially a 2 -3 book line that was maybe selling 100k tops total and turned it into a line that could sustain at least 10 books, all in the top 100, most about to hit issue 20 already. and most would agree not a single was a traditional break out hero books. And they did it while it was a pandemic, with the closure of many shops, and someone like me who has been strictly digital for a bit isn't even accounted for in these "estimates". I think they'll be fine.
    Top 100 is the minimum for a non-specialty Marvel book to not be canceled yesterday, and anything in the bottom of that 100 is on its way (see Cable, X-Factor).

Just for a comparison, here is the charts for the dreaded Gold/Blue era, probably around the time all of this new direction is being worked on behind the scenes, about 8 or so books, all Top 100:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/2018-07.html

I would like to share your optimistic take on this, but for those who have followed these numbers for years, this is nothing we have not seen before.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I find hard to care either way when we have no idea how precise those estimates are.
    It's not just you. I don't care at all.
    I'll keep buying what I like until I no longer enjoy it or it's cancelled and...if it is, cancelled...I'll just spend my money on some other title or save it. I just can't care about something that's entirely out of my control.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Hopefully Excalibur is already cancelled but it just wasn't announced.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Top 100 is the minimum for a non-specialty Marvel book to not be canceled yesterday, and anything in the bottom of that 100 is on its way (see Cable, X-Factor).

Just for a comparison, here is the charts for the dreaded Gold/Blue era, probably around the time all of this new direction is being worked on behind the scenes, about 8 or so books, all Top 100:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...8/2018-07.html

I would like to share your optimistic take on this, but for those who have followed these numbers for years, this is nothing we have not seen before.
    It is very close to what we have now, but with much less investment. Hickman era is very dissapointing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It is very close to what we have now, but with much less investment. Hickman era is very dissapointing
    https://comichron.com/monthlycomicss...4/2014-06.html

Bendis was a big name, and this is quite far into his run during a time where the X books were not promoted with the rest of the line during big rebrandings and events. All New X-Men is the highest selling non Amazing Spider-Man ongoing, UXM is right up there. Again, a good 10 X books sustaining themselves. No unifying direction needed.

I think things can only look good now if compared what they did to the line following Secret Wars. And that just sucked. Otherwise they look like they usually do when Marvel is not sabotaging the franchise.

This is not an attack on the Hickman era though, nor is it an argument against those who think it should be better.

I mean personally sales don't mean much to me either but at the same time i'm just completely baffled how anyone can tell anything from this data. We would first have to assume all things have held equal since this time 2 years ago or 6 years ago we know for a fact this hasn't happened. Then you have the fact that Marvel is changing distributors so how does one know they aren't purposefully sending less units so less have diamond connected to them. Then that's noteven counting the kind of titles most of which people say aren't traditional. That's not even taking into account some of those titles on that list were like #6 and that low whereas these titles are at 19 and 20. I think i need to just back out before my brain explodes.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

A poster just put a link with chart from 3 years ago, with numbers that are very similar to Hickman era sales.

A poster just put a link with chart from 3 years ago, with numbers that are very similar to Hickman era sales.
    I saw and i was just analyzing it. by the logic in here marvel had 25 books under 100 from the other line. And if we assume the units are selling as much as they were then which it seems people are doing, Hickman books are overall selling far more units and bringing in more money than the 2014 chart Actually he is probably covering a few of those 25 unneeded books that the funds could then shift elsewhere.

Eyes playing tricks on me the issue numbers are mainly comparable for the x-books but look at the titles and remember who were in those books. Cota debuting to better numbers than Uncanny Xmen with pretty much all unknown characters.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-22-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I said this to BP fans hating on Coates and now I will say it here. These poor comic sales are probably more reflective of the comic market in general as opposed to readers liking or not liking the story. With pirating and now covid there are a lot of factors that can adversely impact sales numbers.
    Too true. Not to mention there are likely fewer comic shops now than before the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I saw and i was just analyzing it. by the logic in here marvel had 25 books under 100 from the other line. And if we assume the units are selling as much as they were then which it seems people are doing, Hickman books are overall selling far more units and bringing in more money than the 2014 chart Actually he is probably covering a few of those 25 unneeded books that the funds could then shift elsewhere.

Eyes playing tricks on me the issue numbers are mainly comparable for the x-books but look at the titles and remember who were in those books. Cota debuting to better numbers than Uncanny Xmen with pretty much all unknown characters.
    If they have same numbers. Line now much more investments, promotion and is expensive because Hicman pay is high to oversee all these books.

Cota first issue numbers are pretty bad, makes no sense compare to a book on 22 issue. Cota could only dream to get 22 issues

If they have same numbers. Line now much more investments, promotion and is expensive because Hicman pay is high to oversee all these books.

Cota first issue numbers are pretty bad, makes no sense compare to a book on 22 issue. Cota could only dream to get 22 issues
    That's exactly what people said about Marauders, New Mutants, i could go on. Either way, i understand now, i think it's more of a way to use the information to try to enforce the emotions some felt at the start. Everybody needs to hope.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.