Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Man, I hope Tien finds out about this

This is really cool!

Congratulations to all the Shang Chi fans!

Nice to see Shang is looking to get his due in live-action .

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Let me be the first to congratulate the Shang-Chi Fans (especially Long)! I'm glad you guys are getting a chance to see your favorite character brought to life. Hopefully, this new development brings some interesting Shang-Chi Comics.

I am very happy for you in spite of what it may mean for Iron Fist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Man, I hope Tien finds out about this

This is really cool!

Congratulations to all the Shang Chi fans!
    Ha, thanks all. Means a lot that I'm associated with Shang-Chi. I'll be honest, I actually had trepidation when hearing about a live action Shang-Chi movie. Over the years, there have been many instances when Shang has appeared, but there hasn't been one thing that's absolutely perfect and expresses the character of Shang. That's what made Black Panther do well, because before the movie, writers like Priest and Hudlin established these really key components T'Challa and Wakanda. Over the past couple of years, there hasn't been that one writer with that definitive run who has established Shang for the modern age.

Now, compound that with other things. Kung Fu isn't as popular as it once was, both in America and especially in China (it's mostly MMA over in the big cities. A lot of Chinese see Kung Fu as being old fashioned and useless). The casual audience member wouldn't care about some Bruce Lee pastiche. There has to be an actor who can appeal to a worldwide audience, and especially a Chinese one. The martial arts has to be at a high, authentic level. Old tropes from the past, like the mysterious man from the orient who spouts fortune cookie wisdom or the Yellow Peril villain who wants to conquer the world, they won't fly in today's world. And somehow you have to introduce Shang-Chi's world into the MCU one. All of that is a tall order.

Still.....

Y'know what, I think Shang can do it. At his core is that dynamic between father and son, which is universally interesting. (I said before how I mentioned this to my Chinese friends who were really interested in that). Kung Fu may seem passe, but if done well, like in Wong Kar Wai's "The Grandmaster," it can be beautiful, deep, and effective. Indeed, I want to see that scene where Shang faces some of the baddest muthaf*($K#$s among his rogues gallery, like Zaran, Razorfist, or Tigerclaw and kick the ever living **** out of them with real Chinese Kung Fu. Shang doesn't have to fall into being a mysterious, asexual, stoic man of the Far East, but a confident, mature, real, fully fleshed out character who has real tribulations and relationships. (Seriously, here's hoping he has a thing going on with Reiko Wu). Fu Manchu could be that calculating, brilliant individual, flawed only in his desire to takeover the world. And of course there could be that scene where Captain America and T'Challa acknowledge that Shang is one of, if not THE, best fighters in the MCU.

So yeah, I have my reservations. But the possibilities? Oh there are so many possibilities . Here's looking forward to the Master of Kung Fu finally making it .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, thanks all. Means a lot that I'm associated with Shang-Chi. I'll be honest, I actually had trepidation when hearing about a live action Shang-Chi movie. Over the years, there have been many instances when Shang has appeared, but there hasn't been one thing that's absolutely perfect and expresses the character of Shang. That's what made Black Panther do well, because before the movie, writers like Priest and Hudlin established these really key components T'Challa and Wakanda. Over the past couple of years, there hasn't been that one writer with that definitive run who has established Shang for the modern age.

Now, compound that with other things. Kung Fu isn't as popular as it once was, both in America and especially in China (it's mostly MMA over in the big cities. A lot of Chinese see Kung Fu as being old fashioned and useless). The casual audience member wouldn't care about some Bruce Lee pastiche. There has to be an actor who can appeal to a worldwide audience, and especially a Chinese one. The martial arts has to be at a high, authentic level. Old tropes from the past, like the mysterious man from the orient who spouts fortune cookie wisdom or the Yellow Peril villain who wants to conquer the world, they won't fly in today's world. And somehow you have to introduce Shang-Chi's world into the MCU one. All of that is a tall order.

Still.....

Y'know what, I think Shang can do it. At his core is that dynamic between father and son, which is universally interesting. (I said before how I mentioned this to my Chinese friends who were really interested in that). Kung Fu may seem passe, but if done well, like in Wong Kar Wai's "The Grandmaster," it can be beautiful, deep, and effective. Indeed, I want to see that scene where Shang faces some of the baddest muthaf*($K#$s among his rogues gallery, like Zaran, Razorfist, or Tigerclaw and kick the ever living **** out of them with real Chinese Kung Fu. Shang doesn't have to fall into being a mysterious, asexual, stoic man of the Far East, but a confident, mature, real, fully fleshed out character who has real tribulations and relationships. (Seriously, here's hoping he has a thing going on with Reiko Wu). Fu Manchu could be that calculating, brilliant individual, flawed only in his desire to takeover the world. And of course there could be that scene where Captain America and T'Challa acknowledge that Shang is one of, if not THE, best fighters in the MCU.

So yeah, I have my reservations. But the possibilities? Oh there are so many possibilities . Here's looking forward to the Master of Kung Fu finally making it .
    Maybe its because I grew up with the character and read many of the classic stories you guys have been posting scans of, but I'm not as worried about that angle

If....

The Shang we got at the end of MoKF might be the definitive version you are looking for.

By that time in the series Shang is fairly comfortable as a secret agent ( Shen Kuei would have called him assimilated) complete with cool car and pad as befitting a secret agent guy.

But he stopped being the walking fortune cookie that some of his earlier adventures made him.

I'm hoping MCU Shang is more like the Shang of the Monech/Gulacy/Zeck run.

Amazing Member

Hopefully, this new development brings some interesting Shang-Chi Comics.
    If nothing else, I hope this is the case.

I don't know if a live action Shang-Chi movie is going to do much for the character. Either it'll be great and skyrocket him to popularity like what the Guardians of the Galaxy movie did for that brand, or it could very well doom any chance of having future projects with the character. I am quite apprehensive like Tien since Shang simply doesn't have enough modern material to either draw from or build hype, unlike with Black Panther and other less widely-known characters that have succeeded.

On the other hand, if the rumors are true about Remy Hii (who, by the way, would be a great fit for the character given what he's demonstra in Marco Polo), perhaps we'll preview the character in the next Spider-Man film.

I'm seriously excited by this project! Let's hope they put some really great kick ass kung fu action.

Yaaaaas I hope it happens. I love Shang!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Still.....

Truth be told...if Disney Movie verse has a tight a hold on the comics, as most people on this board believe, Marvel Comics will probably take the route they have been doing with Carol Danvers. As in throwing things out to the audience, hope that something sticks, and then wait for the movie to really define what the character will be moving forward. Like you said there isn't(yet) a quintessential run of Shang-Chi that makes you go "This is why this character is a A-List hero" or "This is why this character could have a movie" , but in saying that it's not necessarily a bad thing. Due to Shang's lack of moments it gives both sides of the company more freedom to to create those moments and in that freedom to prove to audiences they should of had an eye on him all a long.

My hope in moving forward with Shang, since he will undoubtedly be getting a lot of focus, it gives marvel a reason to give him a signature weapon or minor power.(My fingers are still crossed for chi duplication) The character needs more of a gimmick to be sustainable with larger audiences.

He will also need items for merch down the road, so it be interesting to see what we get from that.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-04-2018 at 03:58 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I hope they keep the espionage elements in the movie. Shang can join the CIA or Shield if they don't wan to use MI6.

Ludi Lin from Power Rangers and Aquaman could make a good Shang Chi. He has a martial arts background and crossover appeal.

BANNED

Truth be told...if Disney Movie verse has a tight a hold on the comics, as most people on this board believe, Marvel Comics will probably take the route they have been doing with Carol Danvers. As in throwing things out to the audience, hope that something sticks, and then wait for the movie to really define what the character will be moving forward. Like you said there isn't(yet) a quintessential run of Shang-Chi that makes you go "This is why this character is a A-List hero" or "This is why this character could have a movie" , but in saying that it's not necessarily a bad thing. Due to Shang's lack of moments it gives both sides of the company more freedom to to create those moments and in that freedom to prove to audiences they should of had an eye on him all a long.
    I disagree. The original run of MOKF is, to my mind, one of the all time great Marvel runs from beginning to end.

And, outside of the outdated racial stereotype embodied by Fu Manchu, it all seems ready to go for a movie adaptation.

Shang-Chi is a character without powers, has no superhero costume or ID to explain and is just a man with an extraordinary skill set.

My one worry is that, much like the comic and the character itself, which has never been done better than in that original run, that Shang and MOKF was simply a product of its time and rose to greatness due to the right creative teams working together in the right era and that magic can't be duplicated.

Still, I'm more than willing to give Marvel Studios the benefit of the doubt on this one and see what they do with it!

He will also need items for merch down the road, so it be interesting to see what we get from that.
    Yes, can't wait to see Shang-Chi merch on the shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I disagree. The original run of MOKF is, to my mind, one of the all time great Marvel runs from beginning to end.

And, outside of the outdated racial stereotype embodied by Fu Manchu, it all seems ready to go for a movie adaptation.

Shang-Chi is a character without powers, has no superhero costume or ID to explain and is just a man with an extraordinary skill set.

My one worry is that, much like the comic and the character itself, which has never been done better than in that original run, that Shang and MOKF was simply a product of its time and rose to greatness due to the right creative teams working together in the right era and that magic can't be duplicated.

Still, I'm more than willing to give Marvel Studios the benefit of the doubt on this one and see what they do with it!

Yes, can't wait to see Shang-Chi merch on the shelf!
    The bold is why I disagree. That first run was great. Its fun and a enjoyable read. For it's time.

Like many comics during that day it has a multitude of campy elements in it. To which may be very difficult to bring into a live action movie. And we will have to see if the MCU references it at all in interviews and such. Doing so is a risk in of itself due to several of the racist undertones it had in it. Again a product of it's time that meant no harm but in today's world the un-fans will eat that crap up like it's $5 Buffet.

But even in saying that ...there was a time where Marvel acknowledged it's faults but stood by what they put and made people believe in them. So maybe we will see if the choose to do the same with Shang.

I'm hopeful that the end result will be good. But I'm also preparing myself for Shang to transform into a different character then that of which we knew him.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

The bold is why I disagree. That first run was great. Its fun and a enjoyable read. For it's time.
    I still think it holds up. The racial aspect of Fu Manchu aside, which is its only awkward aspect in my eyes, MOKF is one of the most cinematic comics ever made. It feels like the storyboards to a brilliant action adventure. It's dated only in the way a '70s Bond film is dated. You can tell that it's from another time but yet it still works. It's filled with the trapping of its era but the core of it and the storytelling is still on point.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I still think it holds up. The racial aspect of Fu Manchu aside, which is its only awkward aspect in my eyes, MOKF is one of the most cinematic comics ever made. It feels like the storyboards to a brilliant action adventure. It's dated only in the way a '70s Bond film is dated. You can tell that it's from another time but yet it still works. It's filled with the trapping of its era but the core of it and the storytelling is still on point.
    That's how i feel. Old school MoKF is actually a lot easier to explain to people ( and studio heads) than something like the history of Carol Danvers or GoTG.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    [CENTER]Special Marvel Edition #15 Dec 1973
    "Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu!"

Shang-Chi visited his mother, an American, at their home in Honan.
    She knew he would eventually learn the truth about his father but hoped it would not come so soon.
    So, should Shang's mother remain a European-American woman (kind of a reversal of Kung Fu's Caine's parentage; a trope to presumably make Shang more sympathetic to American readers)? Should this be a mystery for now?

Hey all. Just a couple of updates and responses:

- Interestingly enough, there have been a number of different "Who is Shang-Chi?" articles lately on various different sites. Here is IGN's: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12...0933d23f0003f1

And here is CBR's: https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-marvel...-fu-explained/

Pretty cool how Shang is getting the attention. Still, that CBR article throws a little bit of shade on Iron Fist. C'mon folks, Shang doesn't like to pass around the haterade here.

- I remember reading somewhere that there is this new climate of wanting to see Asian faces in American cinema. I think some writers on different entertainment websites have said that because of the success of "Crazy Rich Asians," (which I still want to see), that Asians and Asian-Americans can be bankable stars. Now, that may be the case in the United States and other parts of the world, but surprisingly it's not the case in mainland China!

Yep, caught these two articles in both the SCMP https://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv...ans-calling-it and NYMAG https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/craz...fice-flop.html

Both explain how the mainland Chinese audiences just didn't find the movie that appealing. While it's fresh (and refreshing quite honestly) and new to see Asian faces in lead roles, in China, well, yeah it's always been that. There were cultural miscues as well. Many mainlanders were offended with the name "Crazy, Rich Asians," feeling that this was a stereotype made by Westerners. (For context, how would we like it if there was a Chinese film called "Stupid Americans?") More importantly, many have seen the basic plot and characters already in other Chinese media and done better.

So, that's the issue with Shang-Chi. A Kung Fu master who is a badass? Trust me, that's been done over and over in China. If Marvel thinks that by itself will work in China (or the rest of the world), that would be a mistake. So, for me, in order to appeal to the audiences, Chinese or otherwise, Marvel has to do a couple of things. First, make the Kung Fu authentic. It's got to feel and look real. Dig into the history of Kung Fu, its philosophy, its culture. Talk with masters in China. Realize that it's not just long days in training with iron rings (though it's definitely that), but also you and your Kung Fu brothers gathering around the table, laughing over rice and roasted pork as you watch your sifu get red in the face after drinking a bit too much bai jiu. More importantly, play up that father/son dynamic b/w Shang and Zheng Zu. The feelings of betrayal, shame, guilt, following one's own path, that's got to be there. Finally, play to your strengths. This is a Marvel movie. Get some MCU cameos in there. Have Shang do Kung Fu against Captain America, Black Panther, or Spider-Man. Show that a master of Kung Fu can hang with the toughest, best heroes in the Marvel Universe.

So yeah, just some thoughts on that.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."