Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Default Quicksilver: Pietro Maximoff Appreciation 2019

This will be the new appreciation thread for Pietro Maximoff, the speedster who has been part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the Avengers, and X-Factor. Here, we do not acknowledge the AXIS retcon, and maintain that the Son of M is exactly that: the mutant son of Magneto.

The previous thread

Reading List
    Uncanny X-Men #4 (1964) - His first appearance as a member of his father’s brotherhood alongside his twin Wanda, the Scarlet Witch. Their familial relationship with Magneto was not known at this time. They leave by issue 11, after Magneto is abducted by the Stranger and deciding to reject the X-Men’s invitation to join.
    Avengers #16 (1965) - The story of the twins joining the Avengers after the original team leaves. They return to Magneto’s side in issue #47 when Magneto tricks Pietro into believing human security at the UN shoot Wanda in the head, grazing her temple. Magneto was actually controlling the security guard’s guns, so as to convince the twins to return after escaping the Stranger. They rejoin the Avengers after this was revealed.
    Fantastic Four #131 (1973) - After being attacked and injured by Sentinels, Pietro is found by the Inhuman princess Crystal and nursed back to health in Attilan. By issue #150, they were getting married. Luna is born issue 240.
    Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1983) - Crystal begins having an affair with the human real estate agent that sold Wanda and Vision their house in New Jersey, Magneto reveals his parentage of the twins and their longest standing origin, and everyone has a very awkward Thanksgiving.
    West Coast Avengers (1986) - Thus begins Steve Englehart’s long crusade to turn Quicksilver into a full out villain complete with trying to frame the Avengers for espionage, running a Zodiac themed crime ring of duplicates, trying to kill Alicia Masters, trying to force Luna to undergo terrigenesis, and just being a pathetic and unpleasant man. Editors at Marvel had to step in to stop him by revealing Pietro was being mind controlled as part of a plot by Maximus the Mad to take control of the Inhuman throne.
    X-Factor # 71 - 94 (1991) - Quicksilver joins the government-sponsored X-team, and issue 87 is the famous Peter David story that explains how Pietro experiences reality through the lens of his powers.
    X-Men: Fatal Attractions (1993) - Quicksilver is approached by Magneto’s Acolytes and offered leadership of their group as well as accepting his place as the ‘Magnusson’, Magneto’s heir. It’s what QS was called by the Acolytes before Marvel came up with the Son of M title. Quicksilver refuses, and in fact takes part in the X-Men operation to take Magneto down after he unleashes an electromagnetic attack on the earth after the UN tries to keep Magneto from coming back down from Asteroid M.
    Avengers/X-Men: Blood Ties (1993) - A direct sequel to Fatal Attraction. Fabian Cortez doesn’t know about Magneto’s fate at the hands of Charles Xavier, and fearing for his life because of the treacherous bastard he is, kidnaps Luna as a shield against Magneto’s rage. Quicksilver and Crystal lead a team of Avengers and X-Mem to retrieve her in Cortez’s hideout on Genosha, while Exodus’ arrival further complicates matters. This and the previous story was part of Marvel celebrating both franchises’ 30th anniversary, and fittingly Pietro was seen as the tie between them.
    Quicksilver (1997) - His first solo, which covered his marriage to Crystal degrading further, his first hint that his powers are actually time manipulation in meeting his future self Nestor, and being followed by the High Evolutionary and his animal men, his father’s Acolytes, and his own personal issues.
    Magneto Rex (1999) - How Pietro was convinced by Magneto into staying in Genosha as a cabinet minister on his father’s government.
    House of M (2005) - The infamous storyline following Disassembled which resulted in M-Day. This is where the idea of Magneto ruling with his family, the eponymous House of M, comes from. It also did terrible damage to the twins’s standing in comics as heroes, which are still felt today.
    Son of M (2006) - The messy follow up that established terrigen as harmful to mutants, Pietro developing time travel abilities, forcing Luna to undergo terrigenesis after all, and starting a war all in the name of restoring mutantkind.
    X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead (2008) - Peter David followed up with Pietro’s story from Son of M, which ultimately resulted in Pietro coming down from terrigen, coming to his senses, and regaining his original power set.
    Avengers Academy (2010) - Quicksilver is an instructor at Hank Pym’s School for Wayward Youth as part of his rehabilitation and rejoining the Avengers.
    X-Factor (2014) - Peter David has Pietro join X-Factor where he confessed to everything he did from Son of M and X-Factor at a press conference, and reconnected with Polaris and Luna.
    Uncanny Avengers (2015) - Where the retcon that claims Magneto isn’t the Maximoff twin’s father because copyright reasons comes from. Ignore it.
    Quicksilver: No Surrender (2018) : A mini series following Avengers: No Surrender. In which Pietro gets stuck outside time by running too fast, gets a pet turtle he calls Mister Dibbles, and fights some kind of time duplicates of himself.

Time will tell where the Son of M goes from here.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 01-21-2019 at 07:22 PM.

I became a Pietro fan in the early Avengers issues. The 1980's were not kind to Pietro as he was made a villain.

I see I have some holes to fill in my reading list. Thank you for this summary.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

I’m at Times Square, and I dropped by Five Guys for a bite to eat. Look what I found by the restroom; a panel from Avengers Millennium #1, when Quicksilver runs fast enough to deplete his energy reserves so he can warn the others of a threat. Spider-Man gets some cheeseburgers from Five Guys so Pietro could recover, while ignoring Hawkeye’s burger blasphemy. I have a soft spot for this mini, because it’s a rare good showing in the Avengers for him.

0C6EBAF6-91BC-4BB6-A13E-A012BDFC940B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I’m at Times Square, and I dropped by Five Guys for a bite to eat. Look what I found by the restroom; a panel from Avengers Millennium #1, when Quicksilver runs fast enough to deplete his energy reserves so he can warn the others of a threat. Spider-Man gets some cheeseburgers from Five Guys so Pietro could recover, while ignoring Hawkeye’s burger blasphemy. I have a soft spot for this mini, because it’s a rare good showing in the Avengers for him.

0C6EBAF6-91BC-4BB6-A13E-A012BDFC940B.jpg
    I read this mini but have no recall of it whatsoever. 5 Guys is pretty good though I have to say.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

There was a brief mention of Pietro in Avengers: No Road Home. According to Wanda, he’s trying to become instagram famous while recovering from his mini.

I personally can’t see Pietro bothering with social media beyond keeping track of major world events. At least we know he didn’t drop off the face of the planet.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really like Peter Davids take on Quicksilver. Up until that point Pietro was being portrayed as an unrepentant arrogant ass through most of the 80s until the early 90s. In this he is a more sympathetic arrogant ass with motivations outside simply twirling his mustache.

Y'know, they've had Savage Hulk, Savage She-Hulk now the Savage Avengers so maybe we can have a team called the League of Arrogant Asses. The roster would include Quicksilver, of course, North Star, Namor and Emma Frost. They can do a team concentrated stare down. Their combined might would be staring you down into oblivion with the occasional snarl of disgust. Whataya think?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

Y'know, they've had Savage Hulk, Savage She-Hulk now the Savage Avengers so maybe we can have a team called the League of Arrogant Asses. The roster would include Quicksilver, of course, North Star, Namor and Emma Frost. They can do a team concentrated stare down. Their combined might would be staring you down into oblivion with the occasional snarl of disgust. Whataya think?
    That sounds like a team that I imagine could take down foes by simply raising a collective eyebrow, when they weren’t throwing shade at each other. Throw in Magneto, Aurora, and Monet, and you have a roster guaranteed to bring interesting storylines from the team’s interpersonal relationships alone. You would need to have at least one light-hearted character to break up all that haughtiness and hot air, of course. Maybe Deadpool? It could be a new X-Force or some kind of extinction team so they could really cut loose as characters and with their powers.

Incredible Member

There was a brief mention of Pietro in Avengers: No Road Home. According to Wanda, he’s trying to become instagram famous while recovering from his mini.

I personally can’t see Pietro bothering with social media beyond keeping track of major world events. At least we know he didn’t drop off the face of the planet.
    Yeah, I don't see Pietro getting into social media at all. What's his motivation? He's always been a very private and aloof person, that's part of the reason why nobody likes him.

Have Pietro and Jean Paul ever met? I always thought they would make great friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Have Pietro and Jean Paul ever met? I always thought they would make great friends.
    I'd pay good money to see that,

A jovial rivalry between the two would be the obvious dynamic, and could be hilarious

Animosity could give each a rogue. Challenging opponents for each other, to ruffle their feathers

Aurora could make a good love interest for Pietro, her multiple personalities would keep him on his toes, and give him some depth, behind the bravado

Love your Avatar, Ultimate Rogue!

Yes, I will be selling those tickets, so please pay me that good money, lol.

I was kind of Hoping that Jean Paul could turn Pietro's head--Pietro would not know what those new feelings were...friendship...rivalry...love...???

For myself, I always felt Pietro was bisexual but still in the closet about it. It would be great if that was explored with an understanding friend/rival. Maybe Jean-Paul catches Pietro making eyes at someone like Namor, and Pietro tries to deny it at first but then opens up about it. But as for an actual romance, isn’t J.P. still married? I can’t see Pietro being a home wrecker after the nightmare of his first marriage.

I don’t know very much about Aurora either, but as I recall Peter David floated the possibility in an alternate universe Multiple Man was running through, I believe.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 02-18-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Love your Avatar, Ultimate Rogue!

I was kind of Hoping that Jean Paul could turn Pietro's head--Pietro would not know what those new feelings were...friendship...rivalry...love...???
    aw shucks thanks, it's my resting face look

For myself, I always felt Pietro was bisexual but still in the closet about it. It would be great if that was explored with an understanding friend/rival. Maybe Jean-Paul catches Pietro making eyes at someone like Namor, and Pietro tries to deny it at first but then opens up about it. But as for an actual romance, isn’t J.P. still married? I can’t see Pietro being a home wrecker after the nightmare of his first marriage.
    I never questioned Pietro' sexuality before, hmm,

a fling between him and JP could be interesting, JP and Kyle could do with a storyline. Kyle' just gonna get fridged by a writer if he doesn't get something to give him some character, trials and tribulations caused by Pietro could benefit them all.

Crystal is a character that could be much more than she has been. If I had powers I'd choose hers, and do so much more with them than she does, so I'm not onboard that ship, unless she gets an overhaul of how she uses her powers.

Synapse in Uncanny Avengers didn't grab me either, her power set got changed between writers

Marvel Legends is putting out in July an Amazon exclusive 3-pack with Quicksilver, Magneto, and the Scarlet Witch.
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02...fair-releases/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBBZQKM/