Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    For me, Dick would always be Ricardo Tapia in my heart, because that how he was called when i first saw him in TAS
    Please, tell me they still call Bruce "Bruno Díaz" over there. It's some of the most bizarre changes I recall from all those latino-dubbed cartoons from my childhood (TAS was dubbed here with out accent, already, but old cartoons were dubbed in America and that carried over here until later in the 80's).

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Please, tell me they still call Bruce "Bruno Díaz" over there. It's some of the most bizarre changes I recall from all those latino-dubbed cartoons from my childhood (TAS was dubbed here with out accent, already, but old cartoons were dubbed in America and that carried over here until later in the 80's).
    Oh yeah we still do it, same with Dick, he is still Ricardo over here. If you think that those are bizarre you should see how they translated Wolverine over here in the 80s, he was knonw as "La Aguja Dinamica" (The Dynamic Needle), obviously it didn't cacth on and he is just called by his english name these days (althougth that dub was made in Mexico if i remember correctly, most of the latin dub from DC comes from here).
    Last edited by TheCape; 03-14-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Zaresh, have you tried melatonin for the sleeping problem? My hospital just put it on formularu because there is some evidence for its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Zaresh, have you tried melatonin for the sleeping problem? My hospital just put it on formularu because there is some evidence for its effectiveness.
    Nope, but I'll keep the name in my mind for when I go ask to my doctor about the problem (which will probably happen at some point. I just keep pushing it because I'm not verymfond of asking for any kind of medicine until I really have a serious problem).

(Today I have had a good day btw, I've just got up. And yesterday too. I may have found some good rhythm)

Oh yeah we still do it, same with Dick, he is still Ricardo over here. If you think that those are bizarre you should see how they translated Wolverine over here in the 80s, he was knonw as "La Aguja Dinamica" (The Dynamic Needle), obviously it didn't cacth on and he is just called by his english name these days (althougth that dub was made in Mexico if i remember correctly, most of the latin dub from DC comes from here).
    Oh, my Godness.
    Here we still stick to "Lobezno", which isn't falling too far from the tree, but still not the right translation (I mean, it sounds better than "carcayú" or "glotón", which is what I think would be the right translation for it, but eh...).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-15-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: think for thing

Extraordinary Member

How were the other Batfamily members called?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    How were the other Batfamily members called?
    Well, Dick was Ricardo Tapia (or Tapias? I cannot remember), as far as I recall. There was the "Ciudad Gótica" for Gotham, and "El Guasón" for the Joker (pretty straightforward translation). I don't remember much more. I wasn't even aware what Batman really was until I watched the first movie by Tim Barton, to be honest. These were just morning cartoons and shows for me.

I guess, at the time, it made sense. These were shows aimed mainly for children and youth who weren't familiar with foreign names at the time. As a rule of thumb, you don't translate names and surnames unless it's a certain case (like a king or a pope, or an alias, or it bears a meaning that would be missed otherwise); but there are circumstances that make it an understandable choice, I guess.

Fantastic Member

Ha ha. That's cute in a way. I think I would've like being you friend as a kid.
    I was a very odd child, so you might not have.

It's interesting to realize that my childhood interpretation of Jason and Talia's relationship complete with explaining to teenagers and adults that Batman and Catwoman were boring and Jason and Talia didn't need them to be BFF adventures was apparently a common reaction considering Flashpoint, Bombshells, and the current canon of Talia meeting and liking Jason before Bruce. It's also interesting to realize that Tim's the only boy Robin who's never gone adventuring with Talia, or had her drop all her schemes and current manipulations to rescue him because Bruce is half naked with her dad or Catwoman. Mostly her dad. Tim's also the only male Robin Ra's hasn't had half naked sword fights with...which is a bit disturbing when you consider Damian|Ibn|Tallant all have a history of half naked fights with grandpa.

It's funny how rereading Jason's time as Robin shoves him firmly into the utterly fantastic territory. He's not what the 90s portray him as: both versions were adorable little geeks. His passionate love of Alfred's cooking and bafflement over Bruce's willingness to skip meals is my favorite thing.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Dick was Ricardo Tapia (or Tapias? I cannot remember), as far as I recall. There was the "Ciudad Gótica" for Gotham, and "El Guasón" for the Joker (pretty straightforward translation). I don't remember much more. I wasn't even aware what Batman really was until I watched the first movie by Tim Barton, to be honest. These were just morning cartoons and shows for me.

I guess, at the time, it made sense. These were shows aimed mainly for children and youth who weren't familiar with foreign names at the time. As a rule of thumb, you don't translate names and surnames unless it's a certain case (like a king or a pope, or an alias, or it bears a meaning that would be missed otherwise); but there are circumstances that make it an understandable choice, I guess.
    According to this article: Jason was named "Raul Zeas", James Gordon "Jaime Fierro" and Vicky Vale "Rita Rios".

According to this article: Jason was named "Raul Zeas", James Gordon "Jaime Fierro" and Vicky Vale "Rita Rios".
    Hmm?.... it had been a while since a watched the series, but those aren't really true. Gordon and Barbara still were called the same. The second Robin was called Tim, not really sure where those 3 translation came from, but i'm almost sure that they weren't actually called that in the sub.

The rest of the translation were pretty straigth foward, "Dos Caras" (Two-Face), "Espantapajaros" (Scarecrow), "Pinguino" (Penguin), etc.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Hmm?.... it had been a while since a watched the series, but those aren't really true. Gordon and Barbara still were called the same. The second Robin was called Tim, not really sure where those 3 translation came from, but i'm almost sure that they weren't actually called that in the sub.
    I think the article refers to the comics and not to the animated series.

I think the article refers to the comics and not to the animated series.
    In that case is possible, translated comics were always hard to find around here, so i can't really confirm it (besides i wasn't born when they series came out, i watched it on reruns, so is even harder to find those).

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The rest of the translation were pretty straigth foward, "Dos Caras" (Two-Face), "Espantapajaros" (Scarecrow), "Pinguino" (Penguin), etc.
    I don't know about Barbara or Tim, but yeah, Gordon was the same as far as I can remember, too. Same for the other villains. We still use them here for current translations (not the Joker, though: we use the actual English name, because, well, it's also the name of a card in a desk, I guess).

Edit: oh, if it's about comics, I wouldn't know. It depends on the publisher, I think. I may be wrong, but at some point I think I saw people calling Nightwing, "Ala nocturna". And Red Hood is definitely "Capucha Roja": "Capucha Roja y los forajidos" was how the New 52 title was translated.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-15-2019 at 03:56 AM.

BANNED

Nope, but I'll keep the name in my mind for when I go ask to my doctor about the problem (which will probably happen at some point. I just keep pushing it because I'm not verymfond of asking for any kind of medicine until I really have a serious problem).

(Today I have had a good day btw, I've just got up. And yesterday too. I may have found some good rhythm)
    Glad you had a good day. Melatonin is available over the counter and doesn't need a prescription. I haven't tried it yet, but as a lifelong insomniac from the cradle, I've thought about it. Maybe I'll try and let you know how it goes.

Jason
    Damian
    Tim
    Dick
    Carrie
    Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy!