Page 1041 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 415419419911031103710381039104010411042104310441045105110911141 ... LastLast
Results 15,601 to 15,615 of 20730

I've been reading the new Captain America ohc by Coates, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I know he's been writing Black Panther for a while now. How is it? I've never been super interested in Black Panther, largely because I don't know much about him outside of his appearances in Avengers and crossovers. The movie was pretty good too. Just looking for opinions on the current stuff. Thanks!
    Last edited by ER Prest; 05-01-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I've been reading the new Captain America ohc by Coates, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I know he's been wearing Black Panther for a while now. How is it? I've never been super interested in Black Panther, largely because I don't know much about him outside of his appearances in Avengers and crossovers. The movie was pretty good too. Just looking for opinions on the current stuff. Thanks!
    I have this but I'm currently reading my DD books. Then I'll read this book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I have this but I'm currently reading my DD books. Then I'll read this book.
    I just finished it today. I really liked it! Social commentary on current ideologies as well as deconstructing superheros and more specifically the idea of Captain America itself. I may look into his BP stuff anyway solely based off this haha

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I've been reading the new Captain America ohc by Coates, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I know he's been wearing Black Panther for a while now. How is it? I've never been super interested in Black Panther, largely because I don't know much about him outside of his appearances in Avengers and crossovers. The movie was pretty good too. Just looking for opinions on the current stuff. Thanks!
    Coates' Black Panther is very interesting. Coates is quite the world builder or I should say country builder as his Black Panther is all about Wakanda. He fleshes out a lot of characters and brings others back from earlier runs. It's also extremely wordy as there is a wealth of information about the characters, history and geography of Wakanda. It takes some time to get through an issue which I don't mind but I feel some dragged just a little but I can understand trying to get all the info. across. So much material that it spawned a spin-off mini-series or two. I probably wouldn't read it again but it's worth a read. Definitely a must for Panther fans and would probably look pretty good in two or so Omnibuses.

I quite liked the Rise of the Black Panther mini-series written by Evan Narcisse and "overseen" by Coates. This is dubbed as the secret origin of T'Challa and in a way ties in to Coates' run. I wouldn't mind having that in an OHC but I wouldn't bite at the eventual Omnibuses.

I haven't read his Cap work yet, but I suspect if you liked it, you'll like his Panther work.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I just finished it today. I really liked it! Social commentary on current ideologies as well as deconstructing superheros and more specifically the idea of Captain America itself. I may look into his BP stuff anyway solely based off this haha
    Sounds good. Looking forward to reading it even more now
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Is CGN the best/cheapest place to order Astonishing X-Men right now?
    I'm not seeing any trace of the book on IST and Amazon is charging $90.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Coates' Black Panther is very interesting. Coates is quite the world builder or I should say country builder as his Black Panther is all about Wakanda. He fleshes out a lot of characters and brings others back from earlier runs. It's also extremely wordy as there is a wealth of information about the characters, history and geography of Wakanda. It takes some time to get through an issue which I don't mind but I feel some dragged just a little but I can understand trying to get all the info. across. So much material that it spawned a spin-off mini-series or two. I probably wouldn't read it again but it's worth a read. Definitely a must for Panther fans and would probably look pretty good in two or so Omnibuses.

I quite liked the Rise of the Black Panther mini-series written by Evan Narcisse and "overseen" by Coates. This is dubbed as the secret origin of T'Challa and in a way ties in to Coates' run. I wouldn't mind having that in an OHC but I wouldn't bite at the eventual Omnibuses.

I haven't read his Cap work yet, but I suspect if you liked it, you'll like his Panther work.
    Thanks for such a detailed response! I'll look into his run a bit more

I appreciate that response too, I've been getting to BP alot lately. It seems like Hudlin is the writer to avoid.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I appreciate that response too, I've been getting to BP alot lately. It seems like Hudlin is the writer to avoid.
    Can’t be as bad as Priest. I started his run and stopped almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Can’t be as bad as Priest. I started his run and stopped almost immediately.
    That's meant to be the best one, I've never heard a bad word said about it until your post.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    That's meant to be the best one, I've never heard a bad word said about it until your post.
    Negative opinions on Priests run seem to be the outliers but I second Nab432.
    I wouldn't say don't read it, since it's a critically acclaimed/fan favorite run the vast majority of people enjoy but I've found the art unpleasant, the comic relief character VERY unfunny and irritating, and since he is the reader's POV it's a really hard obstacle to get around.
    As for the rest of the story, It felt like I'm dropped in the middle of the events and I should already know and accept T'Challa as the biggest badass ever. Also if I remember correctly there was something creepy implied with the dora milaje but I can't remember exactly, it was about 3-4 years ago when I've attempted to read the run (and gave up after about 4-5 issues).

Still, if you are into BP, definitely give it a shot.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Negative opinions on Priests run seem to be the outliers but I second Nab432.
    I wouldn't say don't read it, since it's a critically acclaimed/fan favorite run the vast majority of people enjoy but I've found the art unpleasant, the comic relief character VERY unfunny and irritating, and since he is the reader's POV it's a really hard obstacle to get around.
    As for the rest of the story, It felt like I'm dropped in the middle of the events and I should already know and accept T'Challa as the biggest badass ever. Also if I remember correctly there was something creepy implied with the dora milaje but I can't remember exactly, it was about 3-4 years ago when I've attempted to read the run (and gave up after about 4-5 issues).

Still, if you are into BP, definitely give it a shot.
    I understand why people love Priest’s BP, but personally I really couldn’t get past the art style which ultimately prevented me from enjoying it. Coates’s BP is a pretty cool modern version of T’Challa and gets really wild with the world building. I can recommend it. For the record I love his Captain America so far. My only complaint is it needs more Sam & Bucky.

I've only read the Strum arc but I loved it

double post

Coates' run of Black Panther one of my favorite super-hero comics. The first two deluxe editions are really good.

I wrote two small reviews of it on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-2ODEvhwzj/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/B-2xwQlhklS/.

The first two volumes of his Captain America are good too. Added the deluxe to my wishlist.

I tried to read the first issues (The Client arc) from Priest run but was not able to finish it. It was not for me.