Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Debunking Hulk as planet buster myth

So this is something that came up in another thread that I feel really needs to be addressed separately, going forward in Rumbles. I'm talking about Hulk's planet busting feat in Heart of Monster and the asterisks attached to the same

Setting aside everything with the wishing well and Hulk dying and whatnot, just with regards to destructive power, its important to point out that this happened in the Dark Dimension

In Doctor Strange:Sorcerer Supreme 21, we are told "gravity - which is the glue of the universe- is weaker". Hence stars cant even form in this dimension

https://i.postimg.cc/vHZbdw89/image.jpg

What does this mean in real terms? The Silver Surfer explains in issue 50 of the same series

https://i.postimg.cc/4N2Zf2n0/image.jpg

I hope this clears up once and for all, the validity of arguing that Hulk is a legit planet buster, based on this feat

What do you think about this one?

While the Hulk was shot into space, the friction he encountered going through the atmosphere should negate most of the advantage that gave him and this does depict a Hulk that's typically much weaker than normal.

Was that the asteroid that was "twice the size of earth"?

Because we have a term for feats and displays of prowess that break the curve of established showings. This is one of those times were its clearly an outlier of his career.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Good information. I wasnt aware of the stuff from Dr Strange. I was aware the feat in HOTM was as much attributable to wishing well magic as anything.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ehhhn. When he himself is talking about that the rocket springs helped him, it's not really clean.

It's like when the Surfer smashed through all that vibranium, you can argue that's as much about him as a person shaped projectile as it is strength.

While the Hulk was shot into space, the friction he encountered going through the atmosphere should negate most of the advantage that gave him
    Given the velocity the Hulk was going at and that the Hulk can't otherwise fly, it really shouldn't. The fact that he was still being propelled with such force anyway speaks to that.

Basically he's as much being an anti asteroid thing Hulk bullet as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Ehhhn. When he himself is talking about that the rocket springs helped him, it's not really clean.

It's like when the Surfer smashed through all that vibranium, you can argue that's as much about him as a person shaped projectile as it is strength.

Given the velocity the Hulk was going at and that the Hulk can't otherwise fly, it really shouldn't. The fact that he was still being propelled with such force anyway speaks to that.

Basically he's as much being an anti asteroid thing Hulk bullet as anything.
    Even as a durability feat (really I feel it's less strength then toughness displayed) it still comes across as an outlier of Fixit's overall career.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

While the Hulk was shot into space, the friction he encountered going through the atmosphere should negate most of the advantage that gave him and this does depict a Hulk that's typically much weaker than normal.
    I suppose I dont care as much about real world science applications here so much as, for the version of Hulk referenced it's way outside of anything this version of Hulk has done. An old Hulk Annual has gray Hulk defeating Abomination (controlled) by Tyrannus. But that was only on his second go round with Blonsky-Tyrannus and after he amped himself with anger. This instance with the asteroid, I dont recall Hulk on one of his typical rampages. In fact, IIRC he was almost indifferent.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

That Dr. Strange page is neat. I haven't seen the name Tazza in many years.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Going to just jump in early at this point to remind everyone that inter-board smack talk is highly discouraged on Rumbles. I'm not saying anyone has done so yet but with quotes and links to NarutoFan, that feels like it's very much on the cards.

I'd also advise Intothevoid to strike a less condescending tone because it feels like you're trying to goad people into a fight.

The fact that a Dr Strange comic exists from decades ago that states gravity is kinda different in this dimension
    not only have several other writers confirmed he is a planet buster since and have referenced in multiple other books, Incredible Hulk by Jason Aaron, Avengers by Hickman, Amazing Spider-man by Nick Spencer, etc... But even the current writer of Immortal Hulk, Al Ewing has said that Worldbreaker can bust a planet
    Ooof. " The comics I like count and the comics I dont like dont count"

Now THAT is genuine sadness. Of course the difference between the comics you like and the comics that matter is that, none of those comics actually show the feat of planet busting, making them about as relevant as "10 eyed man is the most dangerous man in the world" ....

...whereas Surfer actually notes not just that gravity is weaker but that matter is explicitly weaker, as the weaker matter falls apart around him

Aside from the fact that having stars kinda defeats the purpose of it being a "dark" dimension, the point here was more to illustrate how different rules of physics apply to this place making anything done here, suspect

The fact that the writers have explicitly clarified just how different these rules are, is just an added bonus

Also yet another argument that doesn't work, the analogy of "10 eyed man is the most dangerous man in the world" would work if he was actually SHOWN to be the most dangerous man in the world, the comics/writers i mentioned are directly referencing something that actually happened as in Hulk busted a planet, now if i showed you a scan of Leader saying "Hulk has the power to conquer a galaxy" that would be BS because it's only a statement not supported by any instance in the comic, Hulk breaking a planet is something that's already shown and others have confirmed it.
    They are certainly referencing an event that actually happened. The Hulk busting a planet is totally a thing

Only problem is that that said planet busting happened in a dimension where matter was weaker, and also against a background of Hulk wishing to die and fight and be reborn with literal reality warping wishes at play

Doesnt mean it didnt happen. Only the part where Hulk's own power played an role in it is suspect not the event itself

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    not only has the writer mentioned Hulk is a planet buster, not only was he called one since Planet Hulk, not only did Greg Pak do an interview where he stated "it was finally time for worldbreaker to break a world", not only did he give him a moniker "worldbreaker", not only have several other writers confirmed he is a planet buster since and have referenced in multiple other books, Incredible Hulk by Jason Aaron, Avengers by Hickman, Amazing Spider-man by Nick Spencer, etc... But even the current writer of Immortal Hulk, Al Ewing has said that Worldbreaker can bust a planet and even hinted at possibly doing it again in the current series(i wonder what the reaction will be if that happens). What's even funnier is that Surfer says stars can't form in this dimension and yet in Heart of the Monster you can clearly see a star in the background of one panel as it rises/sets over the horizon
    I'd like to debunk this user as a competent speaker of the English language.

The phrase "not only" is used to link no more than two sentences that refer to things, actions or situations. Using it five times defeats the purpose and contradicts the definition of the word "only" - ergo, the above quotation is an absolute abomination.

Also, I didn't like his tone, so he deserved this.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    LOL, where did you get the idea that it's called Dark Dimension because it has no stars in it?
    If it had "light" it wouldn't be a very "Dark" Dimension now would it.

Aside from the fact that the different rules of the Dark Dimension have been a thing since day 1 of the dimension being introduced

I don't remember anything stating Hulk busted the planet because it's a dimension where different rules apply?
    Doesnt have to be stated every time, when it has been stated multiple times right from the beginning

Why didn't someone else break the rules of physics there?
    Umm they did? Case in point Surfer pointing out the matter collapsing because its weaker in the Defenders fight

Why didn't he bust the whole dimension?
    Because he apparently lacks the power to do so, even with weakened matter and the wishing well

Or to put it another way....why didnt Sun dipped Superman punch a hole through the world forger?well I guess we'll never know since it's a strawman of an argument and doesnt really say anything. Maybe the amp wasnt THAT powerful

Like Hulk and wishing wells and dark dimensions

What made the rules of physics different specifically in the Heart of the Monster story?
    Umm it didnt...the whole point being the rules of physics have always been different in the Dark Dimension right from its inception . Like in its literal first appearance Strange tells us world within worlds exists in this dimension
    https://i.postimg.cc/kGd5d63R/20200723-163439.jpg

Also would you be willing to say because Superman destroyed a planet by jumping of it in a dimension where it was stated that the rules of physics and even reality are different, would you say that the feat is also suspect?
    Yes, certainly, if said differences were defined to the point of outright saying "matter is weaker"

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

If I can chip in a little here, this reminds me a lot of the discussion I was having with Dork about the Mansions of Silence in the Lucifer vs Franklin thread.

Quite apart from whatever Worldbreaker Hulk's full capacities are intended to be, this specific feat has caveats attached to it.

In a Rumbles context that trucks with purely feats; while Hulk seems to be being hyped as a person who can bust planets with his punches, the fact remains that this singular instance of him doing it being discussed is less clean than other instances of people busting up planets on pure strength. We can argue about authorial intention but the history and context of the Dark Dimension and so on doesn't just go away.

I don't think the case for WBH being a planet buster is unreasonable, his feats of threatening an entire continent by merely walking and his holding Sakaar together with his hands certainly suggest that he's in that sort of ballpark, but this feat is not a good feat to build an argument from because that context makes it less impressive.