Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Default Fantastic Four #645: The End is Fourever conclusion

Now it comes to this: the final confrontation with Psycho-Man, the shock realization from Quiet Man. Plus back-up stories, and fan mail? (Any of you see your names there?)

The Main Story:
    spoilers:
    Sleepwalker tells Franklin he simply needs to undo what he created, since the faux Avengers, and the distorted humans, aren't even fully alive and real. Wizard reveals his hand as the Frightful defend New York, having seen Quiet Man's true nature and revolted against it. Wanda takes out her counterpart and brings in the entire Salem's Seven for back-up. Val provides Reed and Quiet Man the final clue to activate the kill-switch to close the portal that Psycho-Man disabled. And as Sue's team begins to retreat back to Earth before the portal closes, Johnny decides to make one final sacrifice, keeping Wyatt away, and then trying to take Jim Hammond's place in staying behind. And as the portal closes with Psycho-Man on the other side, the heroes wait with bated breath… until Jim, and then Johnny, emerge, both aflame. Quiet Man slips away, the real Puppet Master is rescued from confinement, and Johnny lights up the sky with the familiar signal.
    end of spoilers
    So, before we proceed to the next stories, a nice pat on the back to those who correctly guessed way back that Psycho-Man was the ultimate villain behind everything.

The next stories focus on each of the original members.

Johnny's story:
    spoilers:
    Johnny defeats Boomerang before getting a surprise visit from a bystander, in the form of… Dorrie Evans, his first college flame, who is now divorced, and who tells Johnny he doesn't need to be a rock star when he's already the Torch. And off they go have a vegetarian steak dinner.
    end of spoilers
    Sue's story:
    spoilers:
    Sue goes through the mess of the Baxter Building and finds pictures of her wedding with Reed, and herself with Johnny, when Franklin join her, afraid to sleep and dream because of his powers, when Sue reassures him that everything will be alright as long as they are together.
    end of spoilers
    Ben's story:
    spoilers:
    Ben is hauling off debris, somewhat grumpily, when he stops a bank heist getaway and earns the gratitude of the police, but when they ask him what to do with the getaway car over which he dumped the debrid, he just lifts both of them and plods on to cleaning duty.
    end of spoilers
    Reed's story:
    spoilers:
    The entire FF take the day off at the beach, at Reed's family cabin (presumably in California), and Reed and Val take a walk down the beach. While she goes all technical about digging for clams, Reed reminisces about his childhood time there and imparts to Val about how being in simple contemplation with nature started his drive to explore, and Val adds that she just likes being there, with him.
    end of spoilers
    As a bonus, various FF writers, artists and editors are asked about which are their favorite FF covers.

And, with a final farewell from editor Mark Paniccia, James Robinson's Fantastic Four run comes to a close.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Glad to see that the final issue of (Robinson/Kirk's run for) the Fantastic Four has ended most of the plots and sub-plots; along with the additional tales looks in the Lives of each member of the F4.

Too bad that there wasn't any additional room for another story involving the Future Foundation; since most of the readers will be wondering what's next for them (unless most of them will be involved within SECRET WARS) afterwards.

PS......Very weird twist with spoilers:
    the Quiet Man changing into Willie Lumpkins(/Stan Lee) within the ending of the conclusion for the F4 Series.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

So how would you guys rate Robinson/Kirk's FF run. How does it compare to Millar, Hickman and Fraction's respective runs?

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Soooo ... just going by spoilers, the FF don't officially disband, and nobody dies?

Hmm. Although this IS the end of the series, I'm glad to know the FF characters are still around, even if they're not together after Secret Wars.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Spectacular Member

So we find out an interesting little nugget --- the Original Human Torch, who is an android, has a soul! No explanation as to how this is the case, and Jim Hammond is just as surprised as the reader, and Robinson just leaves this outstanding as a dangling plotline to be dealt with at some point in the future. One must wonder, was it there at his creation? Is there something about his creation which we don't know about? Hmmmm.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Too bad that there wasn't any additional room for another story involving the Future Foundation; since most of the readers will be wondering what's next for them (unless most of them will be involved within SECRET WARS) afterwards.
    Only have to wait to the first page of Secret Wars 0!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I liked the way things ended up and I was glad to see a surprise development with the Frightful Four. I hope this means Sharon is out on parole. I'd like to see her be able to return to her human form but I guess that will happen only if any other writer is interested in her. I still found the Quiet Man a lackluster addition to the FF's rogues galllery.

All of the bonus stories were very enjoyable and at least I don't get the sense that the FF themselves were giving up their lifestyle. They'll just be out there operating as usual until the next relaunch comes along.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-30-2015 at 07:34 AM.

The story about Reed and Val was really heartwarming. Thank you, Jeff Parker.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    All of the bonus stories were very enjoyable and at least I don't get the sense that the FF themselves were giving up their lifestyle. They'll just be out there operating as usual until the next relaunch comes along.
    I don't know how to do spoiler tagging, and it's barely that since it's teasing next issue anyway, but folks should check out the last page of Silk #3.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I have to admit that Johnny story seems a good way to bring him full circle, but at the same time, wish it had been Lyja
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

My favourite has to be Ben's story. It was a nice little story.

Also how old were Johnny and Sue during the accident? In the picture of them they looked really young.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Extremely bittersweet issue, despite Robinson keeping his promise and delivering an upbeat issue and leaving the team in a good place.

This is probably one of the few overpriced issues I felt was worth every dime. Excellent extras. A big thank you to all involved.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

hammond has a "soul?" oh please. really if a creative is going to bend over backwards for these gigantic leaps in logic, then at least have the courtesy of explaining your story. the height of laziness, and another example of pro-AI propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    hammond has a "soul?" oh please. really if a creative is going to bend over backwards for these gigantic leaps in logic, then at least have the courtesy of explaining your story. the height of laziness, and another example of pro-AI propaganda.
    At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Edit: I haven't been reading this run, although I may pick it up in trade as I've always liked Robinson, and it sounds like he's really played with a lot of the mythos. But I'm curious...what makes this "the end" so to speak? Is it just the impending Secret Wars, or something else? The spoilers don't make it sound like an ending for the team or characters.
    Last edited by hawkeyefan; 04-30-2015 at 09:14 AM.

let's dial it back on the personal insults and focus on the story, yes?