Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wendell Vaughn (Quasar) vs Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern)

Kyle has his regular GL ring. Wendell has the Quantum Bands. Who wins?

One of them makes a construct of a coin and flips it. The outcome of that is about as easy to predict as this match. It’s pretty much the definition of 50:50.

Astonishing Member

Couldn't Quasar outlast him? I haven't followed him in a long while but from what I recall he doesn't have batteries that need periodic recharging.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Eh. Kyle's best is just a bit beyond Wendell. I favor him. Kyle has feats comparable to a (not super speed) Silver Surfer, and a (not super speed) Surfer has given the business to Quasar before.

Seconding Cap.

Kyle (post crisis at least) is pretty crazy.

Quasar is "flip a coin" with any top tier Lantern NOT named Kyle imo. He could even give Kyle trouble, certainly, but I don't see him taking more then 2-3 out of 10.

His greatest advantage is that he is likely the better energy manipulator and can drain/redirect a lot of what's tossed at him. Buuut Kyle has like every other advantage, so assuming he doesn't end up shooting himself in the face via Quasar trickery, it's his fight to lose.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

We've definitely done this one before.

Kyle has a better top end and is more creative. Plus green lanterns have MANY more appearances then Vaughn.

The only thing I'd be leery on favoring Kyle is that Wendell is extremely good at draining energy, and Kyle's one very clear downside compared to Quasar here is limited energy.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Isn't the GL ring susceptible to being drained by the Q-Bands?

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Isn't the GL ring susceptible to being drained by the Q-Bands?
    Yes, but it's far from an instant thing and Kyle can retaliate.

It's not an easy victory. In fact it's a very veeery close match, but Kyle has the edge.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Or if the GL ring still has the recharge requirement, Quasar can just play defense until it runs out of juice.

Or if the GL ring still has the recharge requirement, Quasar can just play defense until it runs out of juice.
    Playing defense in terms of straight barriers is his worst option. That gives Kyle a chance to ramp up beyond his defensive capabilities. Quasar has stupid strong shields, but Kyle can create stoopid strong attacks if allowed a chance to breathe.

His best bet is to redirect energies Kyle is actively summoning and hit him with a combined attack or make him shoot himself or other trickery. Might work some of the time. Not most of the time. Kyle has more oomph, some energy manipulation of his own and is very creative.

Its close, but Kyle has more advantages imo.
    - big_adventure

Well, technically his best bet might be to distract Kyle with a construct of a fridge with a dead girl in it, then start draining.

But then that might just really rile Kyle up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Playing defense in terms of straight barriers is his worst option. That gives Kyle a chance to ramp up beyond his defensive capabilities. Quasar has stupid strong shields, but Kyle can create stoopid strong attacks if allowed a chance to breathe.

His best bet is to redirect energies Kyle is actively summoning and hit him with a combined attack or make him shoot himself or other trickery. Might work some of the time. Not most of the time. Kyle has more oomph, some energy manipulation of his own and is very creative.

Its close, but Kyle has more advantages imo.
    Are there any specific attacks that you believe will be too much for Quasar to handle?

Are there any specific attacks that you believe will be too much for Quasar to handle?
    Sorta? I think he can spam multiple offensive options like creating anti-matter, generic blasts, vortexes etc. None of them will defeat Quasar solo, but I think he can rifle them off in a combo keeping him on the back foot.

Also, Kyle has contained (with GREAT effort + last minute assistance) the full effect of supernova, not just a tiny portion of one. If you figure his will can power offense equal to his defense, and really there is no reason you shouldn't, then he can fill the Arena with death frag AoE's beyond Quasars shield strength.

Of course, going straight to that allows Quasar the chance to turn it back on him at the bell, so it should be part of a string of moves. Not the opener.
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Sorta? I think he can spam multiple offensive options like creating anti-matter, generic blasts, vortexes etc. None of them will defeat Quasar solo, but I think he can rifle them off in a combo keeping him on the back foot.

Also, Kyle has contained (with GREAT effort + last minute assistance) the full effect of supernova, not just a tiny portion of one. If you figure his will can power offense equal to his defense, and really there is no reason you shouldn't, then he can fill the Arena with death frag AoE's beyond Quasars shield strength.

Of course, going straight to that allows Quasar the chance to turn it back on him at the bell, so it should be part of a string of moves. Not the opener.
    I don't really know if even sustained energy output is enough to overwhelm Quasar. Wendell has deflected a blast from the IG, absorbed sustained energy output from Phoenix and battled multiple Q-band users before. Kyle is gonna have to get creative if he wants to get around Wendell's defences. Notwithstanding the fact that Quasar can just open up all the Q-bands gems from the get-go and absorb everything Kyle throws against him, plus everything the ring holds.

I don't really know if even sustained energy output is enough to overwhelm Quasar. Wendell has deflected a blast from the IG, absorbed sustained energy output from Phoenix and battled multiple Q-band users before. Kyle is gonna have to get creative if he wants to get around Wendell's defences. Notwithstanding the fact that Quasar can just open up all the Q-bands gems from the get-go and absorb everything Kyle throws against him, plus everything the ring holds.
    Hmm. I would urge caution when using the Pheonix or the IG as measuring sticks. It leads to tricky power scaling and is hard to quantify, especially when compared to a characters overall history of generally being around his Class 100 peers in terms of presentation and feats.

Like, the IG can effortlessly snuff out most of reality and the cosmics within it. Did Wendell deflect something of that scale? Or some nebulously difficult to quantify lesser output? Same with Pheonix. They vary from host to host, but generally if you argue him fighting the thing should be taken at face value, you are then leading into saying Quasar is roughly Galactus tier and so on.

Captain Britain and Thor etc have survived fights with the Pheonix but we look at those showings with some level of scrutiny is my point. I'm unfamiliar with his battle against it though. Context?

I'm also unfamiliar with the proposed "opening the gems" tactic. Clearly I dont know the guy as well as I think I do? Can he do this thing instantly at fight start or does it require some set up? Is it a standard thing he always has access to? I've never seen it discussed before. =)
    - big_adventure