Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

This is pretty funny!

I don't know; I haven't heard the term metrosexual in more than a few years. In fact, in its own way, it seems dated to me. I'm 62, btw.

I work in public service and amongst a number of younger folks, 19 - 50s, with most in that younger demographic. I never hear the term.

But despite that, I enjoy/have always enjoyed Namor's looks, except I was not a real big fan of the pony-tail and more 'savage' look in the '90s.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Come on now, gelled hair, shaved chest, fashions that aren’t afraid to show off his body
    LOL, I have been reading this discussion with amusement and I have to say I never thought of Namor as metrosexual. His hairdo started as just short with a widow's peak and it evolved into a more helmeted alien look but it seemed to me that gelled look was a result of his mutant genes, amphibian heritage or both, but not really gelled as gel would dissolve under the sea. I also don't think Bill Everett meant Sub-mariner to have facial or body hair at all because I don't remember seeing Namor with facial hair until he is re-introduced in the silver age Fantastic Four by Lee and Kirby and after that issue you never ever see him with facial hair until perhaps the 90's. As far as body hair, I have never seen Namor with body hair so I wouldn't say he shaves at all.

Even though atlanteans are displayed with hair, I'd keep it only to their heads because body hair is a trait of mammals meant to protect them on land against changes in temperature and amphibians have totally different mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I don't know; I haven't heard the term metrosexual in more than a few years. In fact, in its own way, it seems dated to me. I'm 62, btw.

I work in public service and amongst a number of younger folks, 19 - 50s, with most in that younger demographic. I never hear the term.

But despite that, I enjoy/have always enjoyed Namor's looks, except I was not a real big fan of the pony-tail and more 'savage' look in the '90s.
    Yup...that Pony Tail was rancid. I blame the artist. More vascularity than Bane, fully pumped with his serum, to the bursting point, in a pressure cooker. Jae Lee was it? All wrong for Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    LOL, I have been reading this discussion with amusement and I have to say I never thought of Namor as metrosexual. His hairdo started as just short with a widow's peak and it evolved into a more helmeted alien look but it seemed to me that gelled look was a result of his mutant genes, amphibian heritage or both, but not really gelled as gel would dissolve under the sea. I also don't think Bill Everett meant Sub-mariner to have facial or body hair at all because I don't remember seeing Namor with facial hair until he is re-introduced in the silver age Fantastic Four by Lee and Kirby and after that issue you never ever see him with facial hair until perhaps the 90's. As far as body hair, I have never seen Namor with body hair so I wouldn't say he shaves at all.

Even though atlanteans are displayed with hair, I'd keep it only to their heads because body hair is a trait of mammals meant to protect them on land against changes in temperature and amphibians have totally different mechanisms.
    He has as much body hair as a dolphin. Invisible, little transparent things maybe. They are both sea mammals after all. Not really an amphibian of the reptile type, although at one time it was speculated by Reed Richards that he breathed through his skin.Hence that dark blue suit in the 70s. But, he has a nose he breathes through on land. A dolphin comes up for air. He breathes underwater as well as land. Not coming up. Gills and lungs. And the hair...I just thought it was pulled back after he got out of the water and dried that way.At least
    originally.

I know he is a mutant "these days." We always considered him a Hybrid in the Bronze Age. Father: Homo Sapien Sapien. Mother: Homo Sapien Mermanus. Child: Something else Hybrid. But, Marvel isn't the real world and times change. Definitely no Manscaping.

BANNED

The ankle wings on the character are a mutant atribute.

BANNED

Sub-Mariner #3 Jul 1968
    "On a Clear Day You Can See... the Leviathan!" Guest-starring Triton
    Continuing from Sub-Mariner #2...
    The Plant Man unleashes his monster Leviathan on England.
    Triton and Namor escape but are bound together and do their best to contain the Leviathan.

They destroy it and foil the Plant Man's scheme.

Namor resumes his quest for his arch-enemy Destiny.

Written by Roy Thomas. Art by John Buscema and Frank Giacoia.

BANNED

Namor's attraction for the fair sex gets exploited by the police using officer Betty Dean to trick Namor, of course Namor easily disarms her. Fortunately at that same moment Namor and Betty witness the attack by a Natzi submarine to an English ship which together with a convincing talk from Officer Dean makes Namor realize the error of his ways.

The above are selected scans that highlight the main points of a story to generate discussion in a forum. You can read the complete story by purchasing the Marvel Masterworks: Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics #1, Marvel Mystery Comics #2–4) or any other available reprints.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Masterw...PF3818RHV5YY00
    To me, whenever Prince Namor will make his MCU debut, Betty Dean is to be shown as well Like Peggy Carter was introduced in The First Avenger.

BANNED

63 -- The Sub-Mariner

Issues Containing this Stamp:
    Daredevil #112, August 1974, p.19.
    Iron Fist #1, November 1975, p.19.
    Marvel Two-in-One #2, March 1974, p.19.
    Werewolf by Night #25, January 1975, p.19.

Stamp Artwork From:
    Cover of Sub-Mariner #67.

Stamp #63 comes from the Sub-Mariner #67 cover by John Romita, Sr.
    This is the first cover appearance of Namor's mid-1970's blue costume.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    To me, whenever Prince Namor will make his MCU debut, Betty Dean is to be shown as well Like Peggy Carter was introduced in The First Avenger.
    Very much agree with this.

Mighty Member

63 -- The Sub-Mariner

Stamp Artwork From:

Very cool information. Wasn't there a classic Namor stamp too?

63 -- The Sub-Mariner

Stamp Artwork From:

I remember that value stamp from Daredevil comic.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Very cool information. Wasn't there a classic Namor stamp too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I remember that value stamp from Daredevil comic.
    I didn't realize the stamps were in multiple issues ... but that makes sense. I probably pulled mine from MTIO.

I don't think there was a classic speedo trunks Namor, Thor-El.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

New year, new resolutions to take on more things that I'll ever get done. LOL!

But yes, I'm going to try to start this project back up. Thor-El was doing a great job with the Golden Age stuff, but I'm going to start with the Silver Age and Fantastic Four #4. I'm hoping to read every Namor comic in the order it was published. Wish me luck! Everyone is invited to participate and I'll update the reading order on the first page as we go along. However, as I said there:

IF YOU HAVE A FAVORITE ISSUE YOU'D LIKE TO REVIEW JUST LET ME KNOW. PLEASE. LET ME KNOW.

I'd be thrilled with any folks that want to do a review.

Hopefully will have the review up this evening.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Its a goal of mine to go through all of silver age Sub-Mariner this year. Because Marvel finally got around to adding all of the 1968 series to Unlimited.

Like everyone else i've got a lot going on and i'm not sure at what pace i can keep up, But i'm down to try.

I don't think i've got the writing chops to do any kind of a review. Other than give a couple sentences with my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Its a goal of mine to go through all of silver age Sub-Mariner this year. Because Marvel finally got around to adding all of the 1968 series to Unlimited.

Like everyone else i've got a lot going on and i'm not sure at what pace i can keep up, But i'm down to try.

I don't think i've got the writing chops to do any kind of a review. Other than give a couple sentences with my opinions.
    Commenting is great also! I won't be flying through these issues, as I've got a few projects I'm planning on doing this year. But at least one issue a week.