Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There's always a chance Guardians of the Galaxy might but I would think it would be something for Avenger 2.
    A good call. With the whole Age of Miracles speech from Strucker. Strange's abilities could very well fall under that umbrella.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

It baffles me that Marvel can't seem to get a Dr. Strange regular series up and running. While he was never their biggest seller, he was in continuous publication in one title or another from 1963-69, then from 1972-96. Surely somebody out there has a strong pitch for the character.

I have really gotten into Doctor Strange over the years. Really is a fascinating character. Severely underrated. Really looking forward to the New Avengers Annual starring him. I want to see how that deal he made effected him and his powers.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    It baffles me that Marvel can't seem to get a Dr. Strange regular series up and running. While he was never their biggest seller, he was in continuous publication in one title or another from 1963-69, then from 1972-96. Surely somebody out there has a strong pitch for the character.
    Meh Marvel is pretty clueless with Magic/Horror/Supernatural/Mystic related material so not really a surprise. Besides its hard for anything to survive at the Big 2 without events, relaunches and other gimmicks.

I need some more Doctor Strange in my life.

I think I could really dig a book with a Strange and Voodoo team up.

Can anyone recommend some good recent Strange stories?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post

I liked the Season One: Doctor Strange OGN except I thought it could use a better artist. Emma Rios panels were very cluttery at times. It's a definitely a different take on his traditional origin.

BANNED

I liked the Season One: Doctor Strange OGN except I thought it could use a better artist. Emma Rios panels were very cluttery at times. It's a definitely a different take on his traditional origin.
    That's a shame to hear. Emma Rios did a lovely job on the Mark Waid Strange mini.

I agree. Not a fan of Emma's style and while I enjoyed the story, the art took me out of the story several times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post

Sadly, there aren't many _recent_ stories, much less good ones. It's been around 15 years since his last ongoing.

I'm sure there will be differing opinions on whether it was good or not, but Fraction's Defenders #4 is the most recent Dr. Strange focused issue. I enjoyed it, even if I didn't necessarily agree with Fraction's take on Strange. Here's a review.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=4532

A lot of folks like Dr. Strange the Oath by Brian K. Vaughn and Marcos Martin which came out in 2006. Here's an interview with BKV and some preview pages.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...&old=1&id=8134

Mark Waid and Emma Rios did a Strange mini-series in 2009. Interview and preview here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=23578

Season One is an updated origin story for Dr. Strange. Like Iron Maiden, I wasn't that fond of the art.

Here's a preview of Season One:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=13050

Here's a review of Season One:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=5166

Now, if you want some classic recommendations, you can't go wrong with this one:

Recently re-released, it's a trifecta for me, with Strange and Doom, plus this edition has two unrelated Subby stories included because they were drawn by Mike Mignola.

BANNED

Did anyone pick up Original Sin #1 today? There wasn't much of Dr. Strange in it, just meeting up with the Punisher. Hard to make a judgement on a few panels, but he's seems ... I don't know, a bit more chipper? than I expect of Strange.

Here's some pages from an upcoming issue.

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...002010_col.jpg

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/...002011_col.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 05-17-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Changed images to links

BANNED

From Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/21063-origi...rst-issue.html

Nrama: Going back to the heroes, there’s some interesting pairings going on – but none moreso than Doctor Strange and the Punisher. They’ve had their errant run-ins before, but the idea of them teaming up is either the worst or the best conceivable “buddy cop” style team-up I’ve seen in quite some time. They travel in very different circles and have severely different approaches, so what can you say about these two combining forces?

Brevoort: I think that’s actually the fun of it. Certainly Jason seems to be having a good time writing all the various sequences with them in it, because they’re just so different from one another. They travel in different worlds, and their views on everything are quite different. So to thrust them together in this situation and see them bounce off each other has the potential for interesting moments.

As you’ve said, they’ve crossed paths before but there’s certainly been no profound interactions between Doctor Strange the Punisher before. Part of the approach in choosing who would work together is to see where sparks would fly. With just one page and a few panels later, we see that already. Punisher is being the Punisher, and then suddenly Strange walks in and the scene completely changes. The laws, the operating structure, all of that goes out the window when Stephen steps in. It’s kind of fun to watch Punisher in those situations and see him taken outside his comfort zone. And the same goes for Doctor Strange working alongside the Punisher. It stretches them both as character, and it’s the same kind of thing we’re doing with other characters that get brought in. Individually they’re all chosen for very specific investigatory reasons, but they are arranged into groups to get extra sizzle into those scenes as they are carried out.

They’re the world’s finest team of tomorrow. It probably won’t take more than 30 days for talk to begin here in the office about putting them in a book together. [laughs]
    Okay, I'm hoping the next issue shows more of their yinteraction -- specifically what makes TomB think these two would work together in a book. Cause I didn't really get that feeling with this issue.

I'm more curious about the appearance of the Mindless Ones, especially not being so mindless. Does this mean we'll see Dormammu? Or possibly Clea?

BANNED

Another unlettered page, this from Original Sin #3.

As well as the gorgeous Gabrielle Dell'Otto variant cover

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...iant-5839b.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 05-17-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Changed image to a link

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    From Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/21063-origi...rst-issue.html

Okay, I'm hoping the next issue shows more of their yinteraction -- specifically what makes TomB think these two would work together in a book. Cause I didn't really get that feeling with this issue.

I'm more curious about the appearance of the Mindless Ones, especially not being so mindless. Does this mean we'll see Dormammu? Or possibly Clea?
    Indeed I mean come on Strange has more firepower in one finger then punisher carries around on a regular basis. Strange can basically one shot all of Punisher's foes while the Punisher cannot do crap to any of Stranges. I mean sure the buddy comedy dynamic works but I am not seeing it here.

On the basis of that Strange art, I guess I'm going to have to pick up Original Sin as it hits rather than waiting collected. I've forgotten how much I enjoy Deodato's Strange and the chatter here and elsewhere sounds fun. And WS and MK together. That's going to be interesting to say the least.