Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Challenge: Reinvent The Daily Planet in the Mythos

This is not a “Controversial Opinion” thread, where you argue what you think the best version is, because I want this to genuinely have a range of places from classic but updated to crazy if you want to.

So...

The Daily Planet... section of WGBS’s website.

- When Clark Kent first gets hired by Perry White, it’s not a major newspaper anymore, and it hasn’t been for years. It doesn’t even produce print newspapers anymore, something that annoys and irritates Perry White. Right now, it’s just a subsection of the WGBS site dealing mainly with local Metropolis news, alongside dozens fo to her absorbed media companies and trademarks. Part of the story is White, Lane, Kent, and others managing to slowly raise the Daily Planet’s rep and prestige to the point where it becomes nationally, then internationally focused, and might even manage to rebel against its corporate overlords.

Perry White... troublesome old-timer and idealist.

-The reason White’s working this origami holy limited job is because, after a few years of trying to do what his bosses ordered at WLEX, he eventually rebelled, ran stories they didn’t want, and got fired. WGBS hired him initially as a small-scale publicity stunt; they’re not impressed with him either, but they wanted the quick snub of WLEX. Perry mixes genuine ideals and standard as with a surprisingly good business sense... particularly talent.

Lois Lane - almost-Military Intelligence interrogator, daredevil, and “writing style criminal“

- She nearly followed her father into the service, and was enrolled in officer school as an interrogator and analyst, before blowing the lid off a scandal at her school that burned what bridges she would have had going forward and dropping out to be a reporter. The result is freakishly good investigator, interviewer, and hard nosed survivor... but not a natural writer in terms of “voice” for her work. That’s what she’s working on - shifting from cold, analytical, and less refined military style reports to journalistic writing. This is in contrast to...

Clark Kent - gifted writer, but irreverent and extremely untraditional one

- Think a writing style like Chris Cilliza at CNN - high on “voice”, editorial opinion, and “edutainment” stylings, and somewhat doubted at first as a truly journalistic force. Growing into a more effective and objective reporter without so much sass is his goal... and why he’s a good partner for Lois, as their skills cover for each other’s weaknesses, though they also grate on each other’s nerves. He’s “mild-mannered” in that he can be remarkably chill, and his column’s voice has a light sarcastic but polite tone to it - so it’s part ironic nickname, and part that he’s remarkably casual.

Jaime Olsen - the local source, part-time photographer, go-fer, social media goofball, and “Nomad”

- Not Jimmy, as he now heralds from a transplanted Latinx family from Arizona. Unlike Lois and Clark, he was born and raised in Metropolis, and has a freakishly high number of connections, because pretty much everyone likes him... even his ex-girlfriends. Perry hired him as just office help, but Jaime loves photgrapy, and what he lacks in training, he makes up for in sheer brass balls. He’s always the first to hear rumors about weird stuff in Metropolis, and can quickly identify if it’s for real or nor - and that’s why Lois zeroed in on him as her personal assistant. He also tries to run his own You-Tube channel... but he’s a bit inconsistent and too busy for it to really work.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The Daily Planet itself to me being the equivalent of NBC would have Clark as Bryant Gumbel. Even better actually if they also know he's Superman.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yeah, gonna pretend that Clark never revealed his identity here.

While true, most newspapers are in major decline, there's a few that are still going pretty strong. Like the New York Times and Washington Post. But I would combine the news paper with a television side as well. So there's room for journalists in the classic sense, but also mainstream media outlets that are still relevant.

Astonishing Member

If they return Superman to his Golden Age roots, The Daily Planet should be the equivalent of an independent media program like Democracy Now. They operate in New York, fight for the little guy, and are relatively known even in higher-up circles.

The Daily Planet should be an online news site that has reporting on news in a more traditional newspaper text and pictures and also has an online video department. For me I think Clark and Lois work better as writers than as TV/online news personalities (didn't they have Clark working as a TV news host and it didn't work) it makes them less glamorous and more relatable I think. I guess it depends on how well it's done.

They should be online, they're going to need someone for pics, video, and an app developer. I don't see Clark or Lois as TV reporters so they can still be journalist. Jimmy can be the photo guy and the person behind the Twitter account (or whatever DC's version of Twitter is).
    Last edited by 9th.; 10-12-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

You know what the social media segment of the Daily Planet might require a new character instead of trying to squeeze poor Jimmy into all of the media roles.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait Daily Planet isn't online yet?

Reinvent it in the mythos? Okay...

The Daily Planet is a dwarf planet that exists usually outside of our dimension, but appears in low Earth orbit every day for a brief time, in geosynchronous orbit above the city of Metropolis. This is how it gets it's name. While it is in phase with our dimension it beams down various radio, television, and internet signals that reveal true news from around the universe and occasionally the Multiverse.

Not much is yet known of this "daily" planet that appears in the Metropolis skies, although through the news that they beam down we know that it's ruled by the "Parry" and his assistants Ol-sin and Low S.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Reinvent it in the mythos? Okay...

The Daily Planet is a dwarf planet that exists usually outside of our dimension, but appears in low Earth orbit every day for a brief time, in geosynchronous orbit above the city of Metropolis. This is how it gets it's name. While it is in phase with our dimension it beams down various radio, television, and internet signals that reveal true news from around the universe and occasionally the Multiverse.

Not much is yet known of this "daily" planet that appears in the Metropolis skies, although through the news that they beam down we know that it's ruled by the "Parry" and his assistants Ol-sin and Low S.
    Well that's ambitious, I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Well that's ambitious, I like this idea.
    Thanks. If you're going to reinvent something, then reinvent it. I like to see the wild reimaginings and reinventions. It'd make for a very neat sci-fi retelling of Superman somewhere in the multiverse. And putting a science fiction spin on the "Daily Planet" by taking the name literally is both low hanging fruit and provides for a lot of potential ways the story can go.

Newspapers as we know it is a dead concept in terms of large scale importance to our society. The equivalent of newspaper is social media and we already know they haven't crack the code to make that work in comics. The best transition for Daily Planet is CNN or Fox News like network. In fact it would work pretty good if Lex Luthor owns the Fox News like network.The Daily Planet was newspaper got bought up a company to be the reporting backbone of their media network and planet reporters learning transition to reporters to live media contributors as well.

Lois Lane- would be Anderson Cooper like reporter, Anderson Cooper was always in Iraq or Hurricane path or in some hot spot
    Jimmy Olsen- Would be a camera man mostly assigned to work with Lois but when they are in metropolis, he sometimes work with Clark or others
    Clark Kent- would be Metropolis local crime and special events reporter, rarely doing small segments on morning news report show
    Perry White- is head of the news room show and content for the site
    Cat Grant-TMZ style entertainment media contributor

They still would write articles that go up on the website instead of newspaper but they would frequently show up on morning news report show and show up as contributors on talk news shows. What this means you would need to create some new characters like 2 News Anchors, corporate boss over Perry and some other characters from Lex network so you can have the clash of ideologies .
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-13-2020 at 03:05 AM.

I think Lois and Clark being podcasters has potential. It lets both of them be big deals as news reporters while keeping Clark’s face away from the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think Lois and Clark being podcasters has potential. It lets both of them be big deals as news reporters while keeping Clark’s face away from the cameras.
    But most good podcast are video too, I think being infront of the camera is kinda unavoidable in modern setting. If Clark can't show up on camera then it is time for the mythos to upgrade how he keeps his secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    But most good podcast are video too, I think being infront of the camera is kinda unavoidable in modern setting. If Clark can't show up on camera then it is time for the mythos to upgrade how he keeps his secret identity.
    Hmmm then he could be a script writer for the podcast with Lois being the main “persona” (maybe Jimmy is her co-host).