Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Vox Machina vs. The Mighty Nein

Now here's a nerdy ass rumble.

Critical Role is a web show where a bunch of voice actors play Dungeons and Dragons 5E. It's been a major success for all involved and they currently going through their second campaign and the characters have relatively recently reached level nine which is the character level that characters of the first campaign were at when this started the web show (because it carried over from a home game).

And so part of me just thought it might be fun to put the two groups against one another. I have no idea if anybody else will know enough to make this a proper discussion, but it doesn't hurt to post it.

So the parties are:

Vox Machina: Grog Strongjaw (Goliath Barbarian), Keyleth of the Air Ashari (Half-Elf Druid), Percival Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo III, aka Percy (Human Fighter (homebrew Gunslinger subclass)), Pike Trickfoot (Gnome Cleric), Scanlan Shorthalt (Gnome Bard), Vax'ildan Vessar (Half-Elf Rogue) and Vex'ahlia Vessar (Half-Elf Ranger).

The Mighty Nein: Beauregard (Human Monk), Caduceus Clay (Firbolg Cleric), Caleb Widogast (Human Wizard), Fjord (Half-Orc Warlock), Jester Lavorre (Tiefling Cleric), Nott the Brave (Goblin Rogue) and Yasha Nydoorin (Fallen Aasimar Barbarian).

So yeah, which of these level 9 teams has the best chance to come out on top in the arena?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Vox wins, methinks.

Scanlan is devastating with status effects, and was built to just be a pain in the butt to counter. At level nine he had the Hand Cone of Clarity making his spell save DC pretty high too.

But the main reason I think Vox wins is probably Keyleth and Percy. Druid wild shape gives her more HP for them to hammer at and Percy’s range is sick. Mind you having two clerics on the MN’s team is very, very handy.

I would love to see them go at it though. It would be a hell of a good fight.

I think individual matchups would make this maybe go differently though.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Agree on Scanlan being a pain in the arse to fight, but I wouldn’t ignore Caduceus. That guy seems to have versatility and powers out the wazoo. Also, Caleb is the best out-and-out caster of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Agree on Scanlan being a pain in the arse to fight, but I wouldn’t ignore Caduceus. That guy seems to have versatility and powers out the wazoo. Also, Caleb is the best out-and-out caster of the bunch.
    Hmm....both good points. I think Cad is the bigger issue myself, though Caleb’s potential output is the highest of the spellcasters as you said.

But Caleb seems to be more ‘fragile’ than any of the other spellcasters at level 9.

Hmm, I think I’ll take a gander at their old stats.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Oh, Caleb is definitely a glass cannon, no question.

What do you think would be the best matchups?

I kind of want to see a Stealth Rogue fight between Vax and Knott, and a Barbarian off between Grog and Yasha.
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

As you said as well, two clerics is tough. Given that, for example, Spiritual Weapon isn’t a concentration spell, a cleric can have Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians going at the same time, which is nasty.

Plus I’m pretty sure a few weeks ago the Mighty Nein pulled out a combo where Caduceus (I assume, but it could be Jester) made Beau’s hands into holy weapons. And Caleb has hasted Beau before. A hasted monk with bonus actions and flurry of blows where every blow is like from a holy weapon? That’s brutal.

I’m actually leaning towards the Nein here.

For what it’s worth, in the battle of the barbarians, I do think Grog just about beats out Yasha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    What do you think would be the best matchups?

I kind of want to see a Stealth Rogue fight between Vax and Knott, and a Barbarian off between Grog and Yasha.
    I’ll have to think about this in the morning. I need sleep.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Do Caleb and Fjord have Counterspell, and would it be considered "standard equipment" in the former's case?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

I don’t recall either using Counterspell. In fact I’m not sure in Fjord’s case that Counterspell is even on the Warlock spell list, is it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I don’t recall either using Counterspell. In fact I’m not sure in Fjord’s case that Counterspell is even on the Warlock spell list, is it?
    Fjord recently used Counterspell to spoilers:
    keep Oban from escaping via dimension door I believe.
    end of spoilers

And Caleb has used it several times, most memorably when he screwed over Avantika attempting to use Control Water.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I would love to see them go at it though. It would be a hell of a good fight.

I think individual matchups would make this maybe go differently though.
    I believe that one of the strech goals for the kickstarter is to have the two groups meet somehow.

I considered individual matchups. But I had trouble deciding who should face whom besides the obvious rogue rumble and barbarian brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Fjord recently used Counterspell to spoilers:
    keep Oban from escaping via dimension door I believe.
    end of spoilers

And Caleb has used it several times, most memorably when he screwed over Avantika attempting to use Control Water.
    Fair enough. I’d forgotten those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I believe that one of the strech goals for the kickstarter is to have the two groups meet somehow.

I considered individual matchups. But I had trouble deciding who should face whom besides the obvious rogue rumble and barbarian brawl.
    If I had to take a stab at it:

Vax vs Nott (rogue vs rogue)
    Grog vs Yasha (barbarian vs barbarian )
    Keyleth vs Caduceus (the dude’s all about the Wild Mother - he’s almost a druid)
    Scanlan vs Caleb (caster vs caster)
    Percy vs Fjord (Fjord’s also defined by his weapon choice and can restrict Percy’s range advantage with Misty Step and Thunder Step)
    Pike vs Jester (cleric vs cleric)
    Vex vs Beau (ranger vs monk - tier 2 fighter-types with esoterics)

Ranger's still exist ? Huh.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan